Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 42,750 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved to Suwanee from NJ with my family. Once we settle down - next spring/summer, I'm considering getting an inflatable fishing boat like BRIS BSA380 from Amazon to go fishing @ Lake Lanier and on the Chattahoocee river.

Wonder if anyone has fished on an inflatable boat on the Chattahoocee river before and has any tips or safety advice for me? I have a 9 year old boy and he would be coming with me.

I'm thinking of hiring a guide to take me around the river and learn how to navigate safely around the river.

Also, are there any gators in the river this far North?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 09:27 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOn08 View Post
Hi,

I just moved to Suwanee from NJ with my family. Once we settle down - next spring/summer, I'm considering getting an inflatable fishing boat like BRIS BSA380 from Amazon to go fishing @ Lake Lanier and on the Chattahoocee river.

Wonder if anyone has fished on an inflatable boat on the Chattahoocee river before and has any tips or safety advice for me? I have a 9 year old boy and he would be coming with me.

I'm thinking of hiring a guide to take me around the river and learn how to navigate safely around the river.

thank you!
No gators that far north.

Others can chime in about the rest.

American Alligator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...:Rangemapx.gif

Old 08-23-2021, 01:23 AM

87 posts, read 58,567 times
Quote:
Hi,

thank you!
People use inflatable tubes to go tubing down it.
I don’t know about the fishing situation.
There aren’t any alligators above Macon.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:07 AM

298 posts, read 271,679 times
You can get inner tubes or an inflatable boat and put in at Cochran shoals which is off Powers Ferry Road just off 285. You can park a 2nd car down at the Chattahoochee River national recreation area a few miles down off Cobb Parkway/41 and float/raft down there. Just look at google maps. On a summer day you will see a ton of people doing that. It takes about 2-3 hours to float down. It's pretty safe but you will just want to use life preserver and know how to swim; just take the precautions and safety you would on any river. Most of the time it's probably 3-4 feet deep and very little rapids; the most would be a class I or at most II. There is also a place you can put in above the dam. Look up Azalea park in Roswell. The water is deeper there and I know people do crew/rowing there. I don't consider those 2 areas dangerous but I knew a guy that drowned on the river years ago. I do think some alcohol was involved and he jumped in and hit his head on a rock and never came up.

I can tell you a really fun river to go kayak down is the Broad River outpost near Danielsville, GA. It's about 1 1/2 hours away. The river is very scenic and natural. Look up the Broad River outpost. They rent kayaks and canoes and pick you up a few miles down. It does have a few rapids on it. Other than that we have done kayaks on the Toccoa river up near Blue Ridge, GA. There are a few places that rent kayaks and tubes. It's a very mellow river. Other than that I know the Flint river is pretty popular.

But send me a PM if you want more info. on rivers around Georgia. There are quite a few depending on what you want to do.

https://www.broadriveroutpost.com/

Old 08-23-2021, 02:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,606 times
The area between HWY 9 and Morgan Falls Dam is the deep area.

South of MFD is shallower and rockier. This is a well-known rafting area. Trout fisherpersons sometimes use waders that have a built-in tube. The river water coming through Buford Dam is cold and the state stocks it with trout.

An inexpensive four-person inflatable is okay for two people. An inexpensive two-person inflatable is okay for one person.

After a thunder-storm, the smell of sewage reaching the river is not unusual. Of course, sewer lines paralleling the river minimize sewage reaching the river.

North of HWY 9 is less known to rafters but possible and does include two large parks. There are water release sirens near Buford Dam.

South of HWY 41 is approaching the water treatment plant. But there is one wealthy neighborhood area before reaching the plant.

Last edited by T Block; 08-23-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-23-2021, 03:02 PM

87 posts, read 58,567 times
Quote:
Hi,

thank you!
Do you have a license to carry in Georgia?
That’s my safety advice for you in the wilderness.
Not that you will necessarily need it.
But it’s better to be safe then sorry.
Coming from New Jersey you may not realize that people live in the woods and forests year round.
And they aren’t always good people.
Also bears and stuff.
I’m not into hunting but just in case you’re in a situation where you have to defend yourself you should have a way to do so.

Last edited by Shark tooth necklace; 08-23-2021 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-23-2021, 06:24 PM

33 posts, read 42,750 times
Thank you.
I wasn't planning to go hunting but it is good to know.
I backpacked with my son a few times - montly just overnight trip in PA.

All the information is super helpful.

Wonder if anyone knows which is a better option? inflatable boat or a fishing jon boat for the purpose of fishing in Chattahoochee River or Lake Lanier?
Would a 55lb trolling motor be able to propel a boat of 4-6 people upstream?

I bought Intex Mariner inflatable boat for lake fishing in NJ. Despite its meagre price - I like it and it does what it is supposed to. Except for the minor issue of leaking air after 3-4 use.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:49 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark tooth necklace View Post
People use inflatable tubes to go tubing down it.
I don’t know about the fishing situation.
There aren’t any alligators above Macon.
Not entirely true. There was an alligator along Columns Drive a few years ago. There are gators this far north, but I wouldn't be concerned about them.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:52 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,529 times
Quote:
Thank you.
I wasn't planning to go hunting but it is good to know.
I backpacked with my son a few times - montly just overnight trip in PA.

All the information is super helpful.

Wonder if anyone knows which is a better option? inflatable boat or a fishing jon boat for the purpose of fishing in Chattahoochee River or Lake Lanier?
Would a 55lb trolling motor be able to propel a boat of 4-6 people upstream?

I bought Intex Mariner inflatable boat for lake fishing in NJ. Despite its meagre price - I like it and it does what it is supposed to. Except for the minor issue of leaking air after 3-4 use.
I'd get a small outboard for that many people. As for Lanier, I'd get a guide. That lake is pretty large and has some substantial boats. Not a good jon boat lake, unless you plan on staying close to the bank/fishing coves.

If you are going to be fishing with fewer people on the river, I'd still get a small outboard, but look at getting a River Hawk, instead of a jon boat.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:44 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark tooth necklace View Post
Do you have a license to carry in Georgia?
That’s my safety advice for you in the wilderness.
Not that you will necessarily need it.
But it’s better to be safe then sorry.
Coming from New Jersey you may not realize that people live in the woods and forests year round.
And they aren’t always good people.
Also bears and stuff.
I’m not into hunting but just in case you’re in a situation where you have to defend yourself you should have a way to do so.
He's talking about a river that flows through suburban Atlanta, this isn't Deliverance here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta