Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 PM

72 posts, read 289,402 times

Advertisements

Here's something positive. I've lived in both, and I liked both. Despite what anyone may say to the contrary, DFW and Atlanta both have lots and lots of things to do, whatever your areas of interest (provided that your areas of interest don't include going to the beach). Neither of them measure up to New York, but both are very liveable. I miss both places.

The biggest difference between the two areas, in my opinion, is that the property taxes are considerably higher in Texas. Of course, they have no state income tax, but their sales taxes are higher, and I think that the overall tax burden in DFW is higher than in Atlanta. I'm not certain about that last bit, though.

The negatives are surprisingly similar between the two. Crime is high in both areas, but it's easy to avoid if you know which parts of each city to avoid. Traffic is horrible in both Atlanta and DFW, and that's not easy to avoid unless you take light rail. And the weather.....central air is absolutely required for living in either area. Suburban megasprawl? Both areas have it in abundance.

Still, taking everything into account, I like both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 10:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleamerica View Post
dealing with rude people from the North and all the people that can't speak English
1. I think you accidentally confused Atlanta with (the malcontents view of) South Florida.

2. Dallas is KNOWN for it's heavy non English speaking Mexican population. The non-English fluent population in Atlanta is MINUSCULE compared to Dallas.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 PM

49 posts, read 166,506 times
We moved here from Dallas this spring.
I grew up here, but I have been in Dallas for 15 years, so I know both cities well.

The cities are VERY similar. On paper. Any major concert, tour, etc....hits both. Both are hot in the summer. The financials are pretty close (housing slightly higher here...slightly....the property taxes higher in TX, but here there is a state income tax. Sales taxes there are 8%+).

Our personal experience is that Atlanta is much more beautiful. The big plus to us for GA is that you can drive an hour and be in the hills. It's a short trip to somewhere cool. We have taken less than an hour drives in the two short months we've been here...and hiked a waterfall with our kids...and today we kayaked in a beautiful river.

Drive an hour from Dallas and the landscape doesn't change much. Texas is great and I miss many things about it....but aesthetics all fall on the side of GA, IMHO.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:48 PM

9 posts, read 18,689 times
Default woo hoo

STILL HATE IT.
And as far as the non-English speaking population, YOU'RE WRONG. I don't know where you live in Atlanta, but it's not in Atlanta.
But who cares?
I'm entitled to my opinion. And I still say it's a cess pool.
Out of here as soon as I can be.
And thanks TBONE.

Maybe Seattle is less tense, than you sad people sitting here on the boards posting your life away.

Bye now.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 PM

Default and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone65 View Post
i Have Got To Call You Out On This One. I Have Lived In Both Places, Among Many Others. If Anything, It Is Dallas That Is Known For Nothing To Do But Eat Out And Shop. Oh, And The Speak English Jab, Are You Kidding Me? Dallas Is Chock Full Of Spanish Only Speakers, Mostly Of Mexican Decent. Btw, For The Most Part, I Have Found Them To Be Hard Working, Family Oriented People.
Now, It Seems Like The Problem That You Are Having Is With The Northeastern Transplants. Being One Of Them, I Can Understand Why You Do Not Get Along With Them. When I Lived In Dallas, I Could Not Get Used To The Lifestyle That The Natives Thought Was Heaven. Dallas Is A Cultural Wasteland. It Is Flat, Visually Unappealing And Every Spring And Fall, The Wind Blows 30mph Every Day.
Look, I Did Not Love Atlanta Either, But Given A Choice.......well You Know My Answer.
Sorry, Just Wanted To Point Out A Few Flaws With Your Argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
not All Of The U.s. Transplants In Atlanta Are From The New York City Metro Area. They Come From Elsewhere In The Northeast, Mid-atlantic, Midwest, West Coast, Florida And Many Come From Elsewhere In The South. And I Have Met Rude People From All Of These Locations - Yes There Are Many Rude, Stuck-up Southerners Who Think They Are Elite And Have To Act A Certain Way. Please Stop With The Generalizations - They Can Always Go Both Ways.

Also, People From The Urban Northeast Or From Big Cities Do Not Care What Others Think Of Them, How Others Behave, How They Dress, Whether They Speak English Or Not - They Simply And Politely Ignore Everyone Else, Except For Their Tight Circle Of Friends And Family. Atlanta Is A Large Metro Area And One Cannot Expect To Have Small-town Friendliness Surrounding Them Everwhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindecatur View Post
delta Is Ready When You Are
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindecatur View Post
don't Be Too Bothered By That...people With Sense On This Forum Already Know That About Dallas and Atlanta. There Are People On Here, However, That Live To Bash Cities That They Pretend To Know Something About. If You Look At Their Other Posts On The Board, You'll See That They Make A Career Of It.
Senior Member,senior Member, Senior Member, I Need To Get A Life? Uh Huh, Same To You...board Posters...

Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 PM

Default You

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Don't be too bothered by that...people with sense on this forum already know that about Dallas and Atlanta. There are people on here, however, that live to bash cities that they pretend to know something about. If you look at their other posts on the board, you'll see that they make a career of it.
I've posted ONCE on this board idiot...
Atlanta SUCKS..get a life...I've lived here five years, plenty of time to know how nasty it is. I love lots of other places in the country, but they aren't in the general south.
Don't talk about things you don't know about just to post.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:16 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleamerica View Post
STILL HATE IT.
And as far as the non-English speaking population, YOU'RE WRONG. I don't know where you live in Atlanta, but it's not in Atlanta.
But who cares?
I'm entitled to my opinion. And I still say it's a cess pool.
Out of here as soon as I can be.
And thanks TBONE.

Maybe Seattle is less tense, than you sad people sitting here on the boards posting your life away.

Bye now.
Well aren't we the mature one? I don't know what part of Atlanta you're in, but having spent a lot of time in D/FW, I can certainly say that the non-English speaking Spanish population was significantly higher there than it is here.

And someone from Dallas describing Atlanta as a cultural wasteland is like Larry King trying to call someone else old.

Dallas is ready when you are. Don't let the door hit you on your behind on your way down I-20 West. That's one less vehicle during rush hour that I have to worry about.

Last edited by grindin; 06-17-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckws View Post
We moved here from Dallas this spring.
I grew up here, but I have been in Dallas for 15 years, so I know both cities well.

The cities are VERY similar. On paper. Any major concert, tour, etc....hits both. Both are hot in the summer. The financials are pretty close (housing slightly higher here...slightly....the property taxes higher in TX, but here there is a state income tax. Sales taxes there are 8%+).

Our personal experience is that Atlanta is much more beautiful. The big plus to us for GA is that you can drive an hour and be in the hills. It's a short trip to somewhere cool. We have taken less than an hour drives in the two short months we've been here...and hiked a waterfall with our kids...and today we kayaked in a beautiful river.

Drive an hour from Dallas and the landscape doesn't change much. Texas is great and I miss many things about it....but aesthetics all fall on the side of GA, IMHO.
I've been curious about relocation to D/FW myself, and I've heard that the cities are more alike than they are different, BUT the open prairie is just so depressing looking to me. I realize that I like the trees and hills here. And you're closer to the ocean and mountains here. I'd much rather go to Myrtle Beach or Florida rather than (shudders) Galveston (shudders).

And I'm still curious about how the nightlife compares between the two cities.

At least you're being reasonable about the comparisons. There was a poster on the Dallas board who claimed that Lake Ray Hubbard was just as beautiful, (if not more)as the shores of Lake Michigan, if not more. Now I know that Texans are pretty boastful and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but come on!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Default oh one more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Well aren't we the mature one? I don't know what part of Atlanta you're in, but having spent a lot of time in D/FW, I can certainly say that the non-English speaking Spanish population was significantly higher there than it is here.

And someone from Dallas describing Atlanta as a cultural wasteland is like Larry King trying to call someone else old.

Dallas is ready when you are. Don't let the door hit you on your behind on your way down I-20 West. That's one less vehicle in traffic that I have to worry about.
AND, another senior member,
point made.
The internet is a sad place these days.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM

151 posts, read 817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Here's something positive. I've lived in both, and I liked both. Despite what anyone may say to the contrary, DFW and Atlanta both have lots and lots of things to do, whatever your areas of interest (provided that your areas of interest don't include going to the beach). Neither of them measure up to New York, but both are very liveable. I miss both places.

The biggest difference between the two areas, in my opinion, is that the property taxes are considerably higher in Texas. Of course, they have no state income tax, but their sales taxes are higher, and I think that the overall tax burden in DFW is higher than in Atlanta. I'm not certain about that last bit, though.

The negatives are surprisingly similar between the two. Crime is high in both areas, but it's easy to avoid if you know which parts of each city to avoid. Traffic is horrible in both Atlanta and DFW, and that's not easy to avoid unless you take light rail. And the weather.....central air is absolutely required for living in either area. Suburban megasprawl? Both areas have it in abundance.

Still, taking everything into account, I like both places.
I've lived in both and have to agree with Dig. Cost of living will be less in Dallas - 3% less according to bankrate.com. Tax burden will be slightly less as well 43rd ranked compared to 31st according to money.cnn.com. I'm from Dallas and I think Atlanta's landscape is more appealing. Also having mountains and ocean not too far away is nice to me. I think Atlanta's weather is a little better - imo. I prefer Dallas only because I am from there. Objectively speaking I'd probably choose Atlanta due to location/landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta