Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Excellent post -- glad that someone finally "declared shenanigans" on the decatur cheerleading squad -- don't believe the hype!
And what is your agenda in all of this? I've lived in northern Virginia (McLean)...you don't even want to hear what I have to say about that experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And what is your agenda in all of this? I've lived in northern Virginia (McLean)...you don't even want to hear what I have to say about that experience.
I heart Lovin'...

Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 PM

102 posts, read 389,451 times
Default Huh?

Funny, I've lived in Decatur for 15 years and never been the victim of any crime whatsoever. Well, I take that back, my kid's scooter was stolen from the school bike rack five years ago when he left it there over a long weekend. My kids walk to school on their own nearly every day. They've never had a bad experience other than falling off their bikes and skinning their knees.

There are certainly NOT 159 sex offenders in 30030, much less within the City of Decatur. That statement, Apeman, is a lie, and you need to be called out on it. There are 13 in 30030 and 5 in City of Decatur. Even that is too many, but it is comparable with suburban areas - 13 in 30062 (East Cobb) and 19 in 30004 (Alpharetta).

Here's the link if you want to check it out... georgia.gov - Georgia Sex Offender Registry. Just click the link on the right hand side and then type in your zip code of choice.

Yes, we have a MARTA station, and it frequently serves folks who do not have the money for a car (as well as people like me who prefer to leave the car at home). I guess that there are folks around who would assume that someone else is a bum or a hustler just because they are a lower income minority. However, I see very few "hustlers" and "bums" in downtown Decatur as I define the term.

Apeman, you must be quite happy where you are and relieved that you were not fooled by the massive, decades long conspiracy to trick unsuspecting home shoppers into moving to Decatur. You must be amazed at how many doctors, lawyers, scientists and professors have been duped into living here. Clearly, we must be very skilled at perpetrating fraud to fool so many highly educated people.

Decatur is not for everyone. If you want a big house at a relatively lower price with an HOA, Decatur is not for you. If you want your kids in schools with only upper middle class kids, Decatur is not for you. You can be a Republican and live here (I am Republican), but if you have issues with Democrats or gay women, Decatur is not for you. If you don't like living in or near an urban area, Decatur is not for you.

Apeman, why don't you share a little more about yourself? Do you live in Decatur? If not, where do you live? What sorts of amenities does it have? What are the crime statistics for your neighborhood? How is real estate faring?

I apologize if I have offended anyone or created the impression that I am trying to mislead them. I'm a mom who has lived here for quite a while and I am proud of what Decatur has become. I attended Emory a long time ago and remember when Decatur was nothing but a MARTA station and some wig shops. I have no intention of selling my house until someone drags me to the nursing home so I really don't care about my home value.

My advice to anyone considering moving to the Atlanta area.... Get your job first and your house second. Try to find a home close to your job b/c you do not want to be commuting across town. If you have choices between different types of neighborhoods, go see them. Check out the shopping/dining/hanging out areas. Definitely visit the schools in person because you need to get a feel for a school's culture regardless of how good their scores are on paper. Check out a playground and ask parents there what they think of the neighborhood/schools/etc. If you are able to pull it off, try to rent in your area of choice for a year to make sure it's the place for you.

If you don't like intown living, I could care less, frankly. I have several dear friends who love the suburbs and strongly dislike all things urban. I have considered living in the suburbs because there are days that a new 4000 square foot house with a garage and a big driveway sounds pretty good. I've never had the heart to actually move out there though. I just like intown living too much, and my family is thriving here. It doesn't mean that my lifestyle is better or worse than any other.

Now, Apeman... why don't you go after Kovacs and those Cherokee County cheerleaders!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:47 AM

314 posts, read 1,278,263 times
^ good post!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 AM

56 posts, read 176,213 times
Except for Apeman's use of incorrect statistics (which unfortunately discredits his post), I think he, Lovin, and Frances all make good points about Decatur.

FYI, I do think it's possible for doctors, lawyers, and professors to be duped, especially if they are coming from out of town. But I can't help but notice how many of these folks decide to stick with living in Decatur for years after arriving here. So IMO Decatur can't be that bad!

Frances gave great advice about how to go about evaluating housing options. The only thing I'd add is something that underscores Apeman's point, the people who live in a particular area will often only give you the positive spin on their area. And when talking with Decatur locals, even at the playground, I've only heard that it's utopia when we all know no place is. That's why we need forums like this.

I also agree with her bottom line about intown vs suburban living: To each his own!

Well, if anyone wants a balanced view of the City of Decatur, it is now documented here in this forum for what appears to be the very first time!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 AM

5 posts, read 9,823 times
I am living in 30034 and have been for 13 years. I have been to COD 30030 and have not seen all of this hype you guys are talking about. I haven't seen any crime in my hood as what you talk about. I live near Flat Shoals PKWY and can walk to stores and shops. As far as schools go, the public schools may be bad, but why are we all praising any of the schools in a state that is near the bottom tier in every category. I find it funny that some people think that living in a nice subdivision with sprawling yards such as I do being snobby, when again paying for over priced houses and calling a few restaurants such as Taco Mac and subway entertainment. Everyone knows that Atlanta has two night spots, Buckhead and Midtown. I would also like for you Decatur fans to stops listing Inman and Candler Park as part of your hoods, they have different zips.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qxx8atm View Post
I am living in 30034 and have been for 13 years. I have been to COD 30030 and have not seen all of this hype you guys are talking about. I haven't seen any crime in my hood as what you talk about. I live near Flat Shoals PKWY and can walk to stores and shops. As far as schools go, the public schools may be bad, but why are we all praising any of the schools in a state that is near the bottom tier in every category. I find it funny that some people think that living in a nice subdivision with sprawling yards such as I do being snobby, when again paying for over priced houses and calling a few restaurants such as Taco Mac and subway entertainment. Everyone knows that Atlanta has two night spots, Buckhead and Midtown. I would also like for you Decatur fans to stops listing Inman and Candler Park as part of your hoods, they have different zips.
Fortunately, everyone is still entitled to his/her opinion.

Before there was Atlanta, there was Decatur. It is the headquarters for DeKalb County government and the early history of this area needs to be preserved for posterity. Having seen Decatur in its decline --somewhere in the 70's, I am glad to see it has redeveloped. You should certainly appreciate the effort to upgrade --there was a time when Flat Shoals was also in decline.

City of Decatur Businesses, Shops & Restaurants

http://www.decaturga.com/cgs_citysvc...staurants.aspx

East Atlanta --Inman Park, Candler Park--VA Highland--plenty of shops and restaurants there--not far from Decatur. Buckhead and Midtown offer a different style of entertainment.

I have heard several times that DeKalb County's long range goal is to develop town centers, similar to European cities--Decatur is the prototype, I suppose you could say?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 AM

285 posts, read 876,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qxx8atm View Post
and calling a few restaurants such as Taco Mac and subway entertainment.
Out of all the restaurants in Decatur you list Taco Mac and Subway?

OK

I've lived inside the perimeter in 10 different houses since 94. I finally decided to buy my first house last year and chose City of Decatur. I don't regret it.

It's definitely not for everyone though... but what is.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd242 View Post
Out of all the restaurants in Decatur you list Taco Mac and Subway?

OK
^Right, out of all of the non-chain restaurants, he picks two chains. East Atlanta neighborhoods are really booming, and DT decatur has been the leader of the pack for a while. I was just there on sat. early evening eating out one the square at a thai restaurant and the square and the whole area was buzzing and packed with people enjoying the weather, and it's always like that.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
I've only tried a few--but want to go back and try others.

I think the Decatur Beach Party is the next big event--lol--once 'straightlaced and somber'---the joint is jukin' and jivin now.

http://atlantasdekalb.blogspot.com/2...june-18th.html

~~~~~~~

Café Alsace
121 E. Ponce de Leon Ave.
404-373-5622
Home

Café Lily
308-B W. Ponce de Leon Ave.
404-371-9119
Cafe Lily Restaurant - A Neighborhood Bistro in Downtown Decatur, Georgia

Cakes & Ale Restaurant
254 W. Ponce de Leon Ave.
404-377-7994
Cakes & Ale / Restaurant and Bar / Decatur, GA

Carpe Diem
105 Sycamore Pl.
404-687-9696
Apres Diem, Carpe Diem, Carroll St. Cafe, Village Pizza by Diem Industries, Inc.

The Chocolate Bar
201 W. Ponce de Leon Ave., Suite C
404-388-6591
The Chocolate Bar Decatur

Citrus Grove Café
Decatur Holiday Inn
130 Clairemont Ave.
404-371-1833

The Cookie Studio
747-C E. College Ave.
404-373-8527
The Cookie Studio

Corner Pub
627-D E. College Ave.
404-377-0603
The Corner Pub Decatur

Debbie's
105 Clairemont Ave.
404-687-8488

Duck's Cosmic Kitchen
111-D New St.
404-371-8823
Small Business Marketing - Atlanta

Eat at Thai
225 E. Ponce de Leon Ave., Suite 10
404-963-0191
Welcome to EatAtThai.com

Eddie's Attic
515-B N. McDonough St.
404-377-4976
Popular Live Music Venue in Decatur, GA

El Tesoro
129 Church St.
404-377-9797
www.eltesorodecatur.com

Eurasia Bistro
129 E. Ponce de Leon Ave.
404-687-8822
NORTHLAKE THAI CUISINE|| EURASIA BISTRO

Farm Burger
410 B W. Ponce de Leon Ave.
404-378-5077
Farm Burger - Decatur - Home

Farmstead 303 (opening soon)
303 E. Howard Ave.

Feast Restaurant
314 E. Howard Ave.
404-377-2000
Feast Atlanta

Fellini's Pizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta