Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2023, 11:04 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazaza View Post
So, can someone help me understand the disparity in property taxes for these 2 properties?
Like what am I paying for exactly in chateau elan 5801 Sq ft and .42 acres where I'm looking at $1003/ month:

https://redf.in/PD3BPW

vs.

Hamilton Mill 5293 sq ft and .45 acres at half that at $509/ month (and even has a pool):

https://redf.in/YtW7XN

Even in Edinburgh, just a bit smaller at 4891 sq ft and .5 acres is at $468/ month:

https://redf.in/nJ5KP3

We have a week when we get down there to see as much as we can and I do want to maximize our time. Granted even though chateau elan's taxes are significantly less than what we're coughing up here in NY, if the juice isn't worth the squeeze, would rather target our efforts accordingly.

Thanks!
The increased property taxes for a home in Chateau Elan Estates likely just reflects the very high regard in which that community is held in Northeast metro Atlanta and far outer-suburban/exurban Northeast Georgia.

All of the activities, events and amenities (including a popular upscale resort and a winery along with an upscale golf course in a far outer-suburban/exurban location that is not too terribly far from popular outdoor recreational amenities like Lake Lanier, Lake Hartwell and the North Georgia Mountains) gives the Chateau Elan Estates community an increased amount of real estate value in the eyes of many, including Gwinnett County government.

Plus, the property you posted a link to is located in the Gwinnett County Public Schools’ Mill Creek HS cluster portion of the Chateau Elan Estates community where homes may be in higher demand than in the Barrow County Schools portion of the Chateau Elan Estates community because of the significantly higher quality of the schools in Gwinnett County than in Barrow County.

So the aforementioned activities, events and amenities of an affluent upscale gated community like Chateau Elan Estates along with the significantly better school quality on the Gwinnett County side of the Chateau Elan Estates community likely explains the higher property taxes on a home in the Chateau Elan Estates community than on seemingly similar homes in the Hamilton Mill and Edinburgh communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 11:32 AM

166 posts, read 171,278 times
That's super fascinating, and a departure from what I understand- in NY regardless of what "town" youre in, if you're zoned for the same high performing high demand school district (like I am currently) your taxes will be similar (similarly high).

Chateau elan and Hamilton Mill properties both feeding Mill Creek HS but CE having double the prop taxes as HM raised my eyebrows for that very reason.

Does make sense I guess. Will have to have an honest conversation about how much we truly do love golf lol

Old 11-24-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
This.

CMMom hit the nail right on the head with these remarks as Jefferson is the seat of government in a county (Jackson County) where Republicans routinely win about 80% of the vote in major statewide elections.

Jefferson (and surrounding Jackson County) is an extremely conservative exurban/rural community.

To demonstrate just how extremely conservative of a community Jefferson is, there is a Georgia state legislator from Jefferson who recently got into trouble for saying nice things about the Ku Klux Klan.

This Georgia state legislator is a known to be a staunch supporter of the Confederacy and is a defender of all things Confederate, including Confederate monuments.

The Georgia state legislator’s expressed sentiments about the KKK and the Confederacy are not necessarily the most uncommon in an exurban/rural community like Jefferson and Jackson County where the site of Confederate flags (while not as common as they used to be in decades past) still may not be completely uncommon.

And even with noticeably above-average school ratings, exurban/rural school systems like Jefferson City Schools and Jackson County Schools may not have the financial resources that suburban metro Atlanta school systems like Gwinnett County Public Schools and Buford City Schools may have access to.

While maybe just slightly less “white” than Oconee County; Jefferson (and Jackson County actually is even more deeply conservative than is Oconee County where the deep exurban/rural conservatism seems to be moderated at least somewhat by the influence of nearby Athens and the University of Georgia academic community.

Well all of that is deeply terrifying.

Honest question though, and don't know if you have insights... these schools- Jefferson, North Oconee, and others like them that are very white, very conservative.... I imagine certain prejudices can bleed into the children. But do we see any of that manifest during sporting events between schools? Football, soccer, softball, etc. I can't shelter my kids from it everywhere, and certainly experience it even in the "liberal hotbed" of the NY metro area... just trying to understand what we might expect.

Old 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Well all of that is deeply terrifying.
Yeah, unfortunately there are areas where things can sometimes be unappealing to outsiders or come across as “terrifying” when one gets into some of the rural parts of the 11 states of the old Confederacy (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, TN, AR, MS, LA, TX) where some (but definitely not all) people may continue to hang on to unfortunate sentiments from the pre-Civil Rights era greater American South.

Quote:
Honest question though, and don't know if you have insights... these schools- Jefferson, North Oconee, and others like them that are very white, very conservative.... I imagine certain prejudices can bleed into the children. But do we see any of that manifest during sporting events between schools? Football, soccer, softball, etc. I can't shelter my kids from it everywhere, and certainly experience it even in the "liberal hotbed" of the NY metro area... just trying to understand what we might expect.
Unfortunately, some of what you are describing does happen in some extremely conservative outer-exurban and rural areas of Georgia and the greater American South.

But fortunately it doesn’t seem to happen anywhere near as much as you might be fearing largely because of the extremely heavily sports-oriented culture of the greater American South where many Black and minority children play sports (particularly football) in a football and sports-crazed region of the country.

Even if there are some exurban and rural Southern whites who may not like minorities personally, they often will be willing to put their personal prejudices to the side so that their football team can win a in wildly popular sport in a football-crazed (football-mad) region of the country.

Obviously some pockets of stupidity continue to exist throughout the region, but overall sports-oriented culture (particularly the football-oriented culture of the greater American South and the basketball-oriented culture of basketball-crazed states like North Carolina and Kentucky) has gone an extremely long way in helping to promote integration and improve race relations in the region after the Civil Rights Movement nearly 6 decades ago.

Until recently (probably about into the early 2010’s), historically super-ultraconservative Forsyth County in particular had a reputation of being one of the worst areas in the Georgia, the South and the nation for that type of prejudiced social behavior.

But Forsyth County has been experiencing extremely rapid demographic shifts that stunningly appear to have the historically militantly ultra-white county on a very fast-track to becoming a ‘majority-minority’ county within the next 15 years or sooner.

And many white residents have fled and are continuing to flee Forsyth County and other formerly white-dominated and formerly outer-exurban/rural parts of suburban North metro Atlanta for other parts of outer-exurban and rural North Georgia and other states (including Tennessee, Western North Carolina and Upstate South Carolina).

Old 11-24-2023, 07:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
This.

CMMom hit the nail right on the head with these remarks as Jefferson is the seat of government in a county (Jackson County) where Republicans routinely win about 80% of the vote in major statewide elections.

Jefferson (and surrounding Jackson County) is an extremely conservative exurban/rural community.

To demonstrate just how extremely conservative of a community Jefferson is, there is a Georgia state legislator from Jefferson who recently got into trouble for saying nice things about the Ku Klux Klan.

This Georgia state legislator is a known to be a staunch supporter of the Confederacy and is a defender of all things Confederate, including Confederate monuments.

The Georgia state legislator’s expressed sentiments about the KKK and the Confederacy are not necessarily the most uncommon in an exurban/rural community like Jefferson and Jackson County where the site of Confederate flags (while not as common as they used to be in decades past) still may not be completely uncommon.

And even with noticeably above-average school ratings, exurban/rural school systems like Jefferson City Schools and Jackson County Schools may not have the financial resources that suburban metro Atlanta school systems like Gwinnett County Public Schools and Buford City Schools may have access to.

While maybe just slightly less “white” than Oconee County; Jefferson (and Jackson County actually is even more deeply conservative than is Oconee County where the deep exurban/rural conservatism seems to be moderated at least somewhat by the influence of nearby Athens and the University of Georgia academic community.
I would imagine you're getting into serious MAGA country when you move out toward Jackson County or Braselton, but that is true of most of the exurban areas.

Old 11-24-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would imagine you're getting into serious MAGA country when you move out toward Jackson County or Braselton, but that is true of most of the exurban areas.
Yep. Going northbound on I-85 towards the northeast, it gets pretty deeply conservative pretty quickly when one crosses over the line from Gwinnett County (where Democrats are now routinely winning 55-60% of the vote in statewide elections) to Barrow County (where Republicans routinely win 70% of the vote in statewide elections) and Jackson County (where Republicans win 80% of the vote in statewide elections).

Old 11-28-2023, 05:21 PM

does anyone have any insights on where they see Buford, and specifically the Buford City Schools heading in terms of property values, development, etc?

We've narrowed down our search between three clusters currently in the north (buford, mill creek, and north gwinnett) and to PTC in the south (McIntosh and Starrs Mill). open to others (currently also exploring whitewater)

curious about buford in that it seems that theres ALOT of ripping down of old houses and rebuilding new/ flipping to more expensive properties. perhaps some of that is bolstered by the schools, but the schools have historically(?) always been good...is the atlanta crowd creeping further and further north (i guess inevitable) and why not more south (or are they creeping south)?

Curious because Buford is a solid 45-60 minutes to atlanta but it seems the tolerance for the drive has increased as ppl are seeking good schools and communities to settle down in? there does seem to be alot of congestion in the area, especially around the mall, but what about the area this house is in?:

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Buford/244...home/168625296

In the south of atlanta, i have some questions as well about the whitewater cluster - that area seems to have more reasonably priced homes and larger plots - 900-950k goes alot further there than it does north in the GCPS clusters i mentioned. whitewater is pretty highly rated, but how is that area and that part of fayetteville?

And lastly - in PTC and in fayetteville, does proximity to airport cause noise pollution? which direction do the noisiest flight paths take and what communities get hit the hardest with airport noise?

Old 11-28-2023, 06:04 PM

68 posts, read 25,461 times
Have you visited any of these areas? Or just looking online? I would suggest spending some time in the areas you are looking at.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:13 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Yeah- I’d spend time in Buford- Lawrenceville- Suwanee- Duluth- PTC/ South Fulton
That way you get a bit of a flow for the general area
9 x out of 10 you will find your self in all of these places because the metro is very ‘spread’

Old 11-28-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
Have you visited any of these areas? Or just looking online? I would suggest spending some time in the areas you are looking at.
right now we're looking online - we are coming down to ATL in 2 weeks time and are hoping to target certain communities and use our time effectively.

it'll definitely be important for us to see as many communities as we can, but would love any real insights from locals/ expert on things that may not be evident to us just from driving through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta