Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 05:17 AM

68 posts, read 25,646 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity. What really defines diverse? I keep hearing about how diverse PTC is, and whenever I'm there, it's REALLY white. This is a serious question. Maybe I am just blind to it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 10:32 AM

561 posts, read 338,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
Just out of curiosity. What really defines diverse? I keep hearing about how diverse PTC is, and whenever I'm there, it's REALLY white. This is a serious question. Maybe I am just blind to it all?
Where do you go while here? There is no way you can go to any public space in PTC and claim its REALLY white. There is always a significant amount of diversity(other than just white) in the public spaces. They may not all live here, but they definitely come here for shopping or parks and recreation. We held a recent event at Kedron Elementary, one of the schools that serves PTC only. Take a look at some random pictures. You can't tell me PTC is not diverse.
Attached Thumbnails
NY to ATL - relocating with young kids-pxl_20231109_154928865.portrait.jpg   NY to ATL - relocating with young kids-pxl_20231109_160653992.portrait.jpg   NY to ATL - relocating with young kids-pxl_20231109_160722621.portrait.jpg  

Old 01-12-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Where do you go while here? There is no way you can go to any public space in PTC and claim its REALLY white. There is always a significant amount of diversity(other than just white) in the public spaces. They may not all live here, but they definitely come here for shopping or parks and recreation. We held a recent event at Kedron Elementary, one of the schools that serves PTC only. Take a look at some random pictures. You can't tell me PTC is not diverse.
Just whenever I'm shopping, and out to eat. Like I said,I guess I'm blind to it. Doesn't bother me either way. Everyone overall is pleasant down here compared to up north.

Old 01-12-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Just whenever I'm shopping, and out to eat. Like I said,I guess I'm blind to it. Doesn't bother me either way. Everyone overall is pleasant down here compared to up north.
I could imagine its a bit less diverse the further south you go, as goes the county. If you are down near Senoia that's next to the south end of PTC and I can see that being less diverse. Compare Star Mills which primarily serves the southern half of PTC to the demographics of McIntosh which serves the north. McIntosh is a bit more diverse. Comparing Braelinn (south) to Kedron (north) will show the same.

Pulled from SchoolDigger
Star's Mill Racial breakdown:

White:70.4%
African American:10.6%
Hispanic:8.8%
Asian:5.3%
Two or more races:3.7%
Pacific Islander:0.7%
American Indian:0.4%

McIntosh Racial breakdown:

White:59.9%
Hispanic:13.5%
Asian:10.9%
African American:9.8%
Two or more races:5.5%
American Indian:0.3%
Pacific Islander:0.1%

Braelinn Racial breakdown:

White:75.9%
Hispanic:8.3%
Two or more races:5.3%
African American:5.1%
Asian:5.0%
American Indian:0.2%
Pacific Islander:0.2%

Kedron Racial breakdown:

White:40.2%
Asian:20.0%
African American:17.7%
Hispanic:14.1%
Two or more races:7.3%
American Indian:0.7%

Old 01-12-2024, 04:08 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
I could imagine its a bit less diverse the further south you go, as goes the county. If you are down near Senoia that's next to the south end of PTC and I can see that being less diverse. Compare Star Mills which primarily serves the southern half of PTC to the demographics of McIntosh which serves the north. McIntosh is a bit more diverse. Comparing Braelinn (south) to Kedron (north) will show the same.

Pulled from SchoolDigger
Star's Mill Racial breakdown:

White:70.4%
African American:10.6%
Hispanic:8.8%
Asian:5.3%
Two or more races:3.7%
Pacific Islander:0.7%
American Indian:0.4%

McIntosh Racial breakdown:

White:59.9%
Hispanic:13.5%
Asian:10.9%
African American:9.8%
Two or more races:5.5%
American Indian:0.3%
Pacific Islander:0.1%

Braelinn Racial breakdown:

White:75.9%
Hispanic:8.3%
Two or more races:5.3%
African American:5.1%
Asian:5.0%
American Indian:0.2%
Pacific Islander:0.2%

Kedron Racial breakdown:

White:40.2%
Asian:20.0%
African American:17.7%
Hispanic:14.1%
Two or more races:7.3%
American Indian:0.7%
The Georgia Department of Education website shows that the white proportion of the student population at McIntosh High School has dropped even lower than the SchoolDigger numbers indicate.

The Georgia Department of Education website shows that the student body at McIntosh High School was only 53.8% white as of October 2023… Which, of course, means that racial and ethnic minorities currently make up about 46.2% of the student population at McIntosh High School, which looks like it is trending quickly towards becoming the third public high school with a ‘majority-minority’ student body where minority students make up the majority of the student population.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:00 PM

166 posts, read 172,358 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying. Cuz when you're out and about in parts of PTC, and other places around South Fayette, even Senoia-- the communities look super white. The communities feel super white. But the schools are not super white. It's a fascinating phenomenon but not unique to the area. Even where i am right now in NY is like that (similar school demographic stats to starrs mill). so what we tried to do was say even if we landed in a very white community (which we did) we were served by a very diverse school cluster (Which we are). And that makes all the difference, for us at least. .

Old 01-13-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazaza View Post
I get what you're saying. Cuz when you're out and about in parts of PTC, and other places around South Fayette, even Senoia-- the communities look super white. The communities feel super white. But the schools are not super white. It's a fascinating phenomenon but not unique to the area. Even where i am right now in NY is like that (similar school demographic stats to starrs mill). so what we tried to do was say even if we landed in a very white community (which we did) we were served by a very diverse school cluster (Which we are). And that makes all the difference, for us at least. .
Thank you for reassuring me I'm not crazy.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazaza View Post
So we landed in Brooks, but the south of Fayette county, including south of Fayetteville, Woolsey, Brooks, and parts of southern PTC actually have excellent schools (Starrs Mill and Whitewater school zones). Beautiful homes, big lots, and a wonderful community. Senoia and PTC are quick drives as is Fayetteville. Quiet. Spread out. Some would say rural. But it's beautiful down here, and peaceful.

The studios are def a big draw but idk if the studios brought ppl that would be looking in South Fayette, however with time I imagine it's inevitable.
Good for you and the family. I'm a big fan of Brooks. I travel to Griffin through Brooks a few times a year and often think it would be nice to reside there. Rural-esque living with quick access to Fayetteville, PTC and Senoia for shopping needs, and Atlanta isn't terribly far. Quaint town center also.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:13 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Good for you and the family. I'm a big fan of Brooks. I travel to Griffin through Brooks a few times a year and often think it would be nice to reside there. Rural-esque living with quick access to Fayetteville, PTC and Senoia for shopping needs, and Atlanta isn't terribly far. Quaint town center also.

^^^
Love this.

https://youtu.be/K5cqaLzkGFo?si=i4vpuexw2u4B4euB

Old 01-13-2024, 01:37 PM

166 posts, read 172,358 times
Quote:

Thanks Yoski! What you describe is exactly what sold us. We only saw it in the winter when we were just there and it was lovely, I imagine in the spring and summer it will be lush and gorgeous.

And very easy to Atlanta, for my husband to Buckhead about an hour 15 door to door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta