Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 AM

340 posts, read 1,578,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Of all places, that's probably one of the safer, but well, it's a city... so... anything could happen. As a female, would you walk along Central Park in NYC at 10PM?

I'd probably do a taxi. I would talk with an accountant to see if it's deductible.
I can tell you it's not deductable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 AM

340 posts, read 1,578,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vate1 View Post
I'm going to check it out tonight and one night next week, though I'm not sure that warm June evenings are very indicative of pedestrian traffic patterns in the cold nights of January.

One of the places we are looking at is the Dakota, which is only about 4-5 blocks away. 10 minute walk, max.
You definitely don't want her to walk that route in the cold nights of January. It's like a ghost town in those hours of day, particularily when it's windy

Last edited by CityFan; 06-06-2008 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 AM

151 posts, read 527,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Hmm...I can't say. I know that I don't have a problem walking the half mile from Little 5 Points to my house during those hours. However my neighborhood is admittedly less busy than midtown.

I'd check the area out around 10pm. Maybe it's very well lit.

Also, check the bus routes from the Midtown MARTA station...maybe a bus passes near your condo.
Wouldn't "less busy" be less safe, generally speaking? I wouldn't worry about my wife walking from the station mentioned during the rush hours, but at 9:30 pm I would meet her at the station, regardless of the neighborhood.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:00 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,270,107 times
You've got a point....there is safety in numbers. I guess that's not what I meant.

I totally agree that if the area is buzzing with activity you're MORE safe. I guess I meant there's less transient traffic in my area....and I don't just mean transients. I mean people who don't belong there day to day. It's usually not other residents you have to worry about...

Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,747,440 times
We lived in midtown (right near the park) and attempted to ride MARTA several times. We are New Yorkers so subways for us at night was NEVER a problem. Here's the problem in ATL though...no enough people walking around, taking the trains, especially at night...lends itself to random loiterers, the occasional business traveler but never enough of a crowd to keep a steady stream of people. NOt enough people equals potential danger. Now of course my answer makes the problem worse because it's basically telling you not to do it and thus, add to the 'not enough people riding the subways' in Atlanta.
I did not feel safe in midtown and I'd go anywhere alone at night in NYC. We have since moved to Smyrna. It was a sad reality we had to face here. Until they get more people in the city on a regular basis, at night, shopping around, using public transportation (my guess is that until midtown has a walkable retail district this won't happen), I'd say it's not worth the risk.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 AM

151 posts, read 527,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
We lived in midtown (right near the park) and attempted to ride MARTA several times. We are New Yorkers so subways for us at night was NEVER a problem. Here's the problem in ATL though...no enough people walking around, taking the trains, especially at night...lends itself to random loiterers, the occasional business traveler but never enough of a crowd to keep a steady stream of people. NOt enough people equals potential danger. Now of course my answer makes the problem worse because it's basically telling you not to do it and thus, add to the 'not enough people riding the subways' in Atlanta.
I did not feel safe in midtown and I'd go anywhere alone at night in NYC. We have since moved to Smyrna. It was a sad reality we had to face here. Until they get more people in the city on a regular basis, at night, shopping around, using public transportation (my guess is that until midtown has a walkable retail district this won't happen), I'd say it's not worth the risk.
Doesn't NYC also have a much more visible police presence? My limited experience left that impression.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM

269 posts, read 1,071,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Of all places, that's probably one of the safer, but well, it's a city... so... anything could happen. As a female, would you walk along Central Park in NYC at 10PM?

I'd probably do a taxi. I would talk with an accountant to see if it's deductible.
It isn't.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM

269 posts, read 1,071,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vate1 View Post
As a female, would you walk from the Midtown Marta station, by yourself, several blocks toward your condo near Piedmont Park, as part of your regular commute, if you normally don't get off work until 9:30PM?

My wife and I are looking to move from Roswell to Midtown, near the park. We are empty nesters looking to make a change. My wife (mid 40's) works on Hospital Hill near Peachtree Dunwoody and I285. However, she frequently works a later shift which keeps her at work until 9:30 or 10PM. So she would be making the walk between 10 and 11PM.

I'm looking for opinions please. We are not overly fearful people - our kids always walked or biked to school, here in the 'burbs, but we know people who won't walk to their mailbox without locking the front door. Thanks.
I would say don't do it. Once in a while would be okay, but doing it every night -- the odds are just not in your favor. That is, the area isn't crawling with criminals, but it would involve walking in a city area where there's not a lot of traffic, which means some random unlikely circumstance could have terrible consequences.

Like, I'd take one-in-a-thousand chance of dying vs. a million dollars once, but not five hundred times.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,747,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
Doesn't NYC also have a much more visible police presence? My limited experience left that impression.
Overall, more people, bigger police force in NYC. But to me, I still felt safer in crowds even w/out police and that's something you'll never see at the 10th street Marta Station, except on parade days.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,805,744 times
I would but I am not a female. It is a pretty safe area though. You'd be walking by the Art Institute and Colony Square and that area is well policed. Just don't walk around the 5 Points MARTA station after dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta