Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:35 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't think anyone in Atlanta, GA is going to look at you funny if you say 'y'all'. I hear it all the time.
Though it does make me think of the time that my brother was attending an AA meeting in Minneapolis. He was speaking to the group and people started getting the giggles. He was mortified. The mod finally let him know that the laughter was because no one in the room was used to hearing 'y'all'.
One of the things I've noticed is the manner in which "y'all" is used.

For example, it is not uncommon to hear people in south Georgia and throughout most of the south use the word "y'all" at the beginning of a sentence. An example might be, "Y'all need to get washed up before we go out to dinner". This is found in metro Atlanta, though not as common.

The use of the word "y'all" in metro Atlanta, as I have noticed, tends to be within sentence.

For example,
"Where are y'all going"?
"What are y'all up to"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
One of the things I've noticed is the manner in which "y'all" is used.

For example, it is not uncommon to hear people in south Georgia and throughout most of the south use the word "y'all" at the beginning of a sentence. An example might be, "Y'all need to get washed up before we go out to dinner". This is found in metro Atlanta, though not as common.

The use of the word "y'all" in metro Atlanta, as I have noticed, tends to be within sentence.

For example,
"Where are y'all going"?
"What are y'all up to"?
Another southern affectation is to say 'idn't' instead of 'isn't'. I still catch myself doing it.
And where else in the country are people "fixin'" to do something?

Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM

30 posts, read 95,623 times
I'm fixin to go get something to eat with a sweet tea to wash it down.

"fixin".

Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
Interesting discussion ....

I did not intend to ask an obvious question, but I was simply wondering about why even in the midtown and intown areas I hear the majority of the people speaking with pronounced Southern accents ...... I know this is the South, but its not exactly Birmingham either. I guess there is a lot of regional migration to the Atlanta area .... certainly outnumbering non-Southern migration. I used to be under the impression that the Atlanta area was being inundated with northeasterners and midwesterners, and while there are certainly sizeable numbers from those areas, it must definitely be less than the regional Southern migration, which fuels a lot of the growth .....

The only part of the metro area that doesn't have any sort of Southern feel to it is the Perimeter Center area and parts of Roswell, Dunwoody and certainly the Buford Hwy. area. The Buford Hwy. area is of course very ethnic. The Perimeter and Dunwoody areas seem like Northern Virginia or the DC suburbs. Some parts remind me of newer versions of Westchester County in fact.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Interesting discussion ....

II know this is the South, but its not exactly Birmingham either.
What do you mean by this?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I guess there is a lot of regional migration to the Atlanta area .... certainly outnumbering non-Southern migration. I used to be under the impression that the Atlanta area was being inundated with northeasterners and midwesterners, and while there are certainly sizeable numbers from those areas, it must definitely be less than the regional Southern migration, which fuels a lot of the growth .....
You answered your own question.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:38 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Geez, you sound like Cartman.
THat is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I know people put LOL in forums but I am really giggling like a nut right now.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
THat is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I know people put LOL in forums but I am really giggling like a nut right now.
Ya'll aren't respectin' my AU-THOR-I-TIE!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:54 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
heheheheheheheheheheeheheheheheheheheheheheeheh

Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
What do you mean by this?
Birmingham is being used as an example of a much smaller, insular Southern city which has not had much domestic migration or growth. It clearly is different from Atlanta in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta