Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Atlanta: centrally located, teenager starting high school, community setting, specific installation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,570 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to relocate to ATL (I know, along with the rest of the world). I currently live in Colorado where the mountains are oustanding! I want to be within an hour of the downtown. I am also in the military and thus would need to be centrally located. I have a teenager starting high school and a soon to be 3 year old. I want to be in a community setting to raise my children. Please let me know your thoughts! I have been told to look at the Marietta, Rockdale-Cobb area. I've also been told to stay where I am...

Please help this confused person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Don't know how Rockdale got mixed in with Marietta and Cobb- it's on the opposite side of the metro area from the others and away from the mountains.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:10 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond007 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to relocate to ATL (I know, along with the rest of the world). I currently live in Colorado where the mountains are oustanding! I want to be within an hour of the downtown. I am also in the military and thus would need to be centrally located. I have a teenager starting high school and a soon to be 3 year old. I want to be in a community setting to raise my children. Please let me know your thoughts! I have been told to look at the Marietta, Rockdale-Cobb area. I've also been told to stay where I am...

I think I'm confused too. Why do you need to be centrally located? To be near the airport?

My boilerplate response would be Sandy Springs/Roswell/Alpharetta as far as places to look.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
I guess the first question would be why, exactly, do you want to move to Atlanta?

You say you're in the military, which makes me think you're being transferred to a specific installation, but then you say some people are telling you to stay where you are, so I assume it's a voluntary transfer.

Is there something about the Atlanta area that you have reason to believe will be preferable to Colorado? It will be easiest to advise you if we have some idea what you're looking to find in Atlanta and why you believe it it's a good place for you to move.

In Atlanta, it's best to live as close as possible to where you work because of the horrible traffic, so knowing where you will be working will help at least put you in the right quadrant of the city (cross-town commutes are miserable).

But without understanding more about your motivation and your needs, it's impossible to give you any good advice. There are plenty of neighborhoods in the Metro Atlanta area that have good schools and are good places to raise kids.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
I guess the first question would be why, exactly, do you want to move to Atlanta?
Ditto on that question.

You (original poster) stated that some have said that you should, "stay where you are", which to me sounds like you have the OPTION of whether to move or stay.

Are you miserable where you are? Can you not afford your current area? Is there a specific reason you want to leave that area?

Atlanta is a love it or hate it kind of city, and many feel that it's reputation and hype are far overdone, with people having wildly inaccurate visions of it here than reality. You may wish to take a couple of weeks leave (if that's possible) and come here and visit. Don't just do the touristy areas - drive the various neighborhoods, go downtown and walk the streets - go to shopping areas, etc. Get a feel for it before you get too hyped.

You may still want to come here, but you may find that the grass where you are is already greener.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,570 times
Default reasons why I want to move

I want to move there because, though Denver is beautiful, cost of living is steep. Can I afford it, yeah, but do I want to? no.

I don't have a support system here and I have a 14 yr old and a 3 year old. Never realized the importance of a support system until I left mine.

I heard ATL is overpopulated. I just want to be in a place that I can afford as a single parent. Meaning I can buy a nice house without needing 2 jobs to maintain it. I also have family there.

I am in the military, but I work for USDA Forest Service fulltime. In a nutshell, I am looking for a place where a can buy a nice house reasonably, raise my children (my daughter wants to attend college there), and start my own business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post

You say you're in the military, which makes me think you're being transferred to a specific installation, but then you say some people are telling you to stay where you are, so I assume it's a voluntary transfer.

Is there something about the Atlanta area that you have reason to believe will be preferable to Colorado? It will be easiest to advise you if we have some idea what you're looking to find in Atlanta and why you believe it it's a good place for you to move.

In Atlanta, it's best to live as close as possible to where you work because of the horrible traffic, so knowing where you will be working will help at least put you in the right quadrant of the city (cross-town commutes are miserable).

But without understanding more about your motivation and your needs, it's impossible to give you any good advice. There are plenty of neighborhoods in the Metro Atlanta area that have good schools and are good places to raise kids.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:37 PM

171 posts, read 664,104 times
Smile Come too Atlanta to form your own opinion

Quote:
I want to move there because, though Denver is beautiful, cost of living is steep. Can I afford it, yeah, but do I want to? no.

I don't have a support system here and I have a 14 yr old and a 3 year old. Never realized the importance of a support system until I left mine.

I heard ATL is overpopulated. I just want to be in a place that I can afford as a single parent. Meaning I can buy a nice house without needing 2 jobs to maintain it. I also have family there.

I am in the military, but I work for USDA Forest Service fulltime. In a nutshell, I am looking for a place where a can buy a nice house reasonably, raise my children (my daughter wants to attend college there), and start my own business.
In the Atlanta metro there's over 4 million people, so you have more people per square mile, like any other big city. You have family here, I'll suggest you come to Atlanta on a visit, to form your on opinion and get some incite from your family about the pros and cons of living in metro or one of the surburbs surrounding the perimeter (I285). Others on this forum will steer you to areas they live in (i.e. LovinDecatur loves Decatur, she/he lives there, so they know the area and amenities that that area offers).

While others will steer you to areas they think might fit the bill on base on your personal preferences; housing stock (price your willing to pay), neighborhood, schools etc that you want. My2cents, certain areas of Atlanta metro are pricey, those areas do have good statistics (grades, test scores) for both public and private schools, yet some of the feeder schools (middle and/or high schools) are under performing.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola110 View Post
In the Atlanta metro there's over 4 million people, so you have more people per square mile, like any other big city. You have family here, I'll suggest you come to Atlanta on a visit, to form your on opinion and get some incite from your family about the pros and cons of living in metro or one of the surburbs surrounding the perimeter (I285). Others on this forum will steer you to areas they live in (i.e. LovinDecatur loves Decatur, she/he lives there, so they know the area and amenities that that area offers).

While others will steer you to areas they think might fit the bill on base on your personal preferences; housing stock (price your willing to pay), neighborhood, schools etc that you want. My2cents, certain areas of Atlanta metro are pricey, those areas do have good statistics (grades, test scores) for both public and private schools, yet some of the feeder schools (middle and/or high schools) are under performing.
Actually, there are more than 5 million in metro Atlanta.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 PM

171 posts, read 664,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Actually, there are more than 5 million in metro Atlanta.
Aiight aiight what's a couple more million, I did say over 4 million.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Hello,

I grew up in Colorado--metro Denver, so I know both states a little.

There's lots of variables as to why people love/like their state.

Personally for me, I don't want to live in a cold climate. Denver receives around 60 inches of a snow a year, and at this point in my life snow is a no-no.

Denver's summer climate is nice. It can be on the hot side, but the evenings are always cool--generally in the mid to upper 50s. It can be in the 90s during the day, with low humidity, but you do need a little jacket if you sit out on your patio or deck in the evening. No jacket is required here on summer evenings.

Atlanta summers are on the warm side ( some say hot ), but the rest of the year is very nice. Cool Canadian fronts moving in are a rare event. A nice cool front is maybe 7 degrees tops.

My politics are very liberal so living in Atlanta is an easy fit. Atlanta is very progressive and liberal. Living in other parts of this VERY RED STATE, or for that matter metro Atlanta, would not be an easy fit. Republican? Easy fit for Cherokee County, much of Cobb County, Douglas County and other conservative metro Atlanta counties.

RELIGION IS BIG HERE. In Atlanta it's not so much of an issue, but it can be in some parts of the state.

One time I was in the Woodmont subdivision a few years ago, a John Weiland community in Cherokee County, and they hand out flyers as to the day and time of the next regular Bible study group. Cherokee County is Republican and conservative. I don't think that would happen in many large cities in the North and West. Certainly not in Seattle--one of the least religious big cities in the country.

Many here in the metro Atlanta area are transplants, but on the other hand many are natives of the South.

Where you live here is very important.

Last edited by Zel Ya; 08-07-2008 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta