Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Go Here>>>
Florida-based Sembler picked as finalist to redevelop GM plant | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/printedition/2008/08/02/gm.html - broken link)

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Oh geez, of course. And Sembler is one of the very worst developers when it comes to people who don't really care how they impact surrounding communities with their developments, too.

Here where I live in Powder Springs, they did a strip mall area a few years ago. Their plans and blueprints unveiled during a town meeting showed a VERY dangerous design for the entrance/exist areas, which basically put them in an area directly across from another property's exists. So this created a multi-way exit onto a busy road, where people on both sides of the road try to cut across the road, make left turns against traffic, as well as make rights to blend with traffic. On both sides of the road, and, with no traffic lights. VERY dangerous. We brought this up at the meeting and they said it would be "corrected". It wasn't, and was built as designed, and today there are near deadly misses each day in that area. Likewise, a "right only exist" sign in another part of their parking lot was run over more than a year ago - the police say it's Sembler's responsibility to replace it. A years worth of emails about it, and they don't replace it or even reply to the emails. To beat it all, I'm told the rents they charge tenants there nearly equal rents in Buckhead as far as pricing goes.

That was a rant, but the point of the whole rant was to point out that Sembler has less than a great reputation when it comes to listening to local residents about projects. While they may or may not be able to handle an Atlantic Station sized project, they will most certainly not give proper consideration to traffic flow and safety around that project, either. Sad to hear they may get the job, actually.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM

That is interesting. Maybe the other 3 will have a chance?

I think it would be good for Doraville and the area to have something to boost the economy --bring the area 'Up' but who should do this--I don't know.

I drive by the Brookhaven project on the way to Walmart/Chamblee. They are working on it. Hope things go well, somewhere, anywhere.

Wondering how things are going with the plans for Executive Park. Just 'nosy', I guess.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

Wondering how things are going with the plans for Executive Park. Just 'nosy', I guess.
I just drove through Executive Park on Saturday. There are yellow rezoning placards everywhere you look, and several more on N. Druid between Target and Toco Hill.

Someone gave me this link a couple weeks ago:

Briarcliff/North Druid Hills

I would favor someone other than Sembler developing the GM plant. I feel Sembler has built too many projects in the area in the last few years. The metro area is already cookie-cutter, and it will only be moreso if Sembler does much more work around here.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I just drove through Executive Park on Saturday. There are yellow rezoning placards everywhere you look, and several more on N. Druid between Target and Toco Hill.

Someone gave me this link a couple weeks ago:

Briarcliff/North Druid Hills

I would favor someone other than Sembler developing the GM plant. I feel Sembler has built too many projects in the area in the last few years. The metro area is already cookie-cutter, and it will only be moreso if Sembler does much more work around here.
I scanned through the website which seems to have begun Sept '07. I think these are 'old' post/communications.

I guess I can walk up there and see what I see. My dog doesn't really like that route--too many cars whizzing by but he will go if he has to. He likes to stop at Starbucks/Panera and greet people.

Rarely do I see/meet many people out walking with dogs or alone. FWIW.
I wish I knew how Gwinnett County managed to include more parks and recreation areas in its development. Pinckneyville Park/Sports Center on S. Old Peachtee Rd is all I could ask for. Not asking for anything--that has is now futile.

Glad to have a few less developed spots. Wish I knew how it was all going to turn out.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,665 times
Anyone who's been around Atlanta for any length of time and paid any attention at all to politics could glean everything they needed to know about how Sembler plans to play this from the first four words of the second paragraph: "Sembler spokesman Angelo Fuster".

Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
All these plans for the NDH corridor without a firm plan to address the infrastructure are just madness. On Saturday and Sunday, the cars on the exit ramp for NDH Road were backed up into the interstate. If this is 'Before', what can we expect 'After'?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Anyone who's been around Atlanta for any length of time and paid any attention at all to politics could glean everything they needed to know about how Sembler plans to play this from the first four words of the second paragraph: "Sembler spokesman Angelo Fuster".
Such as this?

"It's a pretty wide-open concept," he said. "It's open to a number of development possibilities because it's a great property. Beyond that, I cannot discuss any of the elements of it."

The massive, 165-acre property presents one of metro Atlanta's biggest redevelopment opportunities. It's located near several interstate highways and is adjacent to a MARTA rail station.

There are some challenges, including the cleanup of any environmental damage at the site.

GM received hundreds of inquiries about the property and a "significant number" of proposals before settling on four finalists, Flores said.'

Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM

30 posts, read 118,374 times
At least they are finally moving forward on it. Atlanta is in the middle of an urban renaissance- only now we need to find our Michaelangelo of the DOT.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 PM

145 posts, read 598,338 times
I want to be optimistic about this project, but if Sembler gets it expect stucco, stacked stone, Wal-Mart, Strip mall retail, Starbucks and a Moes. All this and less nice then Atlantic Station. I really hope a developer with foresight and imagination can do something unexpected and brilliant with this property, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm more optimistic about the Hapeville Ford Plant and especially the Fort McPherson redevelopment projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta