Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM

14 posts, read 60,485 times

Advertisements

As we are getting closer and looking for a great family area to live. Does anyone do this commute around 7a? or earlier? and again at 5p? Is this a solid 45 or more.
For many reasons we are not able to live inside the perimeter but we are ok with that and there is no other job option...Emory Univ is it....but Just trying to find the right area that fits our large young family and trying not to have my husband married to the road more then 45min each way.

Is roswell closer then alpharetta? Appears to be great schools? Diverse for a interacial and inter-religious family??

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:45 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mladyj View Post
As we are getting closer and looking for a great family area to live. Does anyone do this commute around 7a? or earlier? and again at 5p? Is this a solid 45 or more.
For many reasons we are not able to live inside the perimeter but we are ok with that and there is no other job option...Emory Univ is it....but Just trying to find the right area that fits our large young family and trying not to have my husband married to the road more then 45min each way.

Is roswell closer then alpharetta? Appears to be great schools? Diverse for a interacial and inter-religious family??

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Roswell's closer than Alpharetta, the schools are excellent in general, and there's plenty of diversity (my kids' class pictures have practically every shade of skin color there is, and the names below the pictures bear out the diverse backgrounds). My kids aren't the only Jewish kids in any of their classes, but they also generally wouldn't be the only Muslim, Catholic, Baptist or Hindu kids either.

The commute to Emory won't be trivial, but it's probably workable. Best route would depend to some extent on where on campus your husband will be working, and where in Roswell you decide to live. Generally speaking, East Roswell (east of GA 400, my neighborhood) will be easier than the older, downtown area. Routes could include Holcomb Bridge to Peachtree Industrial to Clairmont, or HBR to PIB to I-285 and around to LaVista, or to Lawrenceville Hwy, or North Druid Hills. In general traffic on I-285 east/southbound in the morning isn't as bad as going the other way. In the afternoon however, it's likely to be a pain no matter which way you go.

Depending on your price range, there might be some other areas that would be a little more convenient with decent schools and reasonable diversity, but Roswell wouldn't be a terrible compromise.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM

We wouldn't be looking at the downtown area of roswell and he will be heading to emory H. ...if that makes any difference. It just appears to have a lot of things that we desire. We need space (size of home and we are not really fixer-upper people).
Dunwoody is possible...but for our price appears we can only get older homes that need some updating.
THanks for your advice

Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
Sounds like you're in roughly the same price range we were. You're right about Dunwoody -- it'd be a good option, but anything under about $350K is going to be in an older neighborhood and is going to have some issues, even if it's just being sort of dated. We looked extensively in Dunwoody North, Kingsley, Fontainebleau, etc., but when our house in Tucker finally sold we had to move quickly to be out of it, and there just didn't happen to be anything on the market in our price range in Dunwoody that we could get into quickly, so we went with something in East Roswell and haven't regretted it at all. Of course, I either work from home or (more often) am on the road, so my commute when I have one is to the airport, usually at off hours, so I don't have that to contend with.

You might also consider some of the older neighborhoods at the edges of Dekalb County in the Chamblee/Tucker area -- areas like Embry Hills, the Henderson Mill and Evansdale elementary districts just outside and along the Perimeter near Northlake. The commute would be easier/shorter, and the schools are decent -- particularly the elementary and middle schools (avoid the Pleasantdale Elementary district, however). Livsey Elementary is solid, as is Midvale, but they feed into the new Tucker Middle School and Tucker High -- don't know much about Tucker Middle as it's still pretty new, and folks tend to have mixed feelings about Tucker High. All of these are close to where we used to live (though we were just across the line in Gwinnett) and we considered moving to all of them, but we wanted to be closer to our synagogue in Dunwoody, so Roswell is where we landed.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:16 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
I second the post which advises to look over by Embry Hills, Northlake, Tucker...also Briarcliff and North Druid Hills and Decatur. Roswell is nice but the commute is going to get very old. There are great family friendly/diverse areas much much closer to where you need to be. Make sure your agent knows exactly what you're looking for so s/he can steer you in the right direction. ps. Lots of ranches may not look new on the outside but the insides have been redone and they're really nice!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
As a DeKalb parent, let me just say that I am worried about the health of the school system and the impact that is going to have on all schools.

Have you checked out Peachtree Corners?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 PM

We have been looking at tucker..and have found a few places that either feed to Midvale or Livsey...but no one has to much to say about tucker itself...except that is a bit old. I have gotten the mix reviews about tucker middle school (which is concerning for future). At present our first of 3 will be entering K in 09'.
I know Roswell is further...just want to meet most of our desires and not sure if some of those other areas will do so.
Can I ask why you moved out of tucker? Feel free to PM me for more details. I am starving for more info about this place. I here there is a lot of improvements taking place.
There seems to be a disconnect in continuity of school from elem-middle-high...eg great elem...crappy middle...decent high. or crappy elem...okmiddle...great high
But for us the focus is elem-middl
Thanks for your advice/thoughts

Old 08-24-2008, 12:45 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
I suggest looking at Lilburn in the Camp Creek or Mountain Park elementary areas. There you will have good schools,nice newer houses at a moderate price and a semi-reasonable commute to Emory. The downside to this area is that is not close to major retail shopping.

Single Family Home LILBURN, GA, 30047 (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=30047&ml=3&mnp=25&mxp=29&bd= 6&typ=1&pfbm=10&sid=84e5021a95f6422b9111660e874381 4f&lid=1101232450&lsn=10&srcnt=115#Detail - broken link)

Single Family Home 2 (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=30047&ml=3&mnp=25&mxp=29&bd= 6&typ=1&pfbm=10&sid=84e5021a95f6422b9111660e874381 4f&pg=7&lid=1101807825&lsn=62&srcnt=115#Detail - broken link)

Yahoo! Maps

Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mladyj View Post
We have been looking at tucker..and have found a few places that either feed to Midvale or Livsey...but no one has to much to say about tucker itself...except that is a bit old. I have gotten the mix reviews about tucker middle school (which is concerning for future). At present our first of 3 will be entering K in 09'.
I know Roswell is further...just want to meet most of our desires and not sure if some of those other areas will do so.
Can I ask why you moved out of tucker? Feel free to PM me for more details. I am starving for more info about this place. I here there is a lot of improvements taking place.
There seems to be a disconnect in continuity of school from elem-middle-high...eg great elem...crappy middle...decent high. or crappy elem...okmiddle...great high
But for us the focus is elem-middl
Thanks for your advice/thoughts
The construction on the new Tucker high school began this year. I am not certain when the building will be completed. There is an IB program at Tucker High School.

Tucker is more diverse and less affluent than Roswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta