Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,684,687 times

Advertisements

Grant Park burglars captured in surveillance video | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/10/28/grant_park_youtube_burglary.html?cxntlid=homepage_ tab_newstab - broken link)

Yeah, Grant park is safe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM

826 posts, read 3,122,626 times
Seriously, like there is an area totally free of break ins. I don't recall any of us living in this part of town saying its free of problems, but I do not feel unsafe. You have your reasons for living ,wherever you do, and we have ours for living in the City.
From the looks of this tape the thieves knew exactly what they were going in for. Not saying I will never have an issue, but you cannot see any of our LCD's from the street at anytime.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 PM

9 posts, read 28,372 times
I live in Kirkwood so Grant Park is fairly close and I feel extremely safe in my neighborhoods and the surrounding ones. Although like Merin said, there is NO 100% SAFE PLACE. People just have to take precautions.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,902,064 times
I think video camera systems are a good idea for situations like this, and they're not that expensive anymore. However, I would suggest if you can afford it to buy one that's a bit better than the couple used in the example from the news story - the older (cheap) black and white cameras are lower resolution and it's hard to make out face details on people.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 AM

513 posts, read 1,633,206 times
Ouch, one of those families spent $7500 for the four camera security system. That's prohibitive. I couldn't see a reason to spend that much unless you factor in personal security as a top priority. The comments on YouTube are interesting. Many people posting about their place being burglarized.

This wouldn't scare me from Grant Park, though. I had a roommate mugged in the carport of a house I used to live in near Chastain Park 13 years ago. It was a quiet, nice place. Two months later the house was burglarized. Nothing like those experiences to really mess up your sense of safety/security. It can happen anywhere.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 AM

A few of my neighbors have camera systems that didnt cost nearly that much. The police are under-staffed but they also need th cooperation of the citizens. Most of the criminals who break in houses in my area are caught because we are on the lookout and provide the police with information. Did anyone see the YouTube comments where someone names one of the suspects? Crazy.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 AM

539 posts, read 2,103,885 times
I'm wondering if either of these homes had security systems in place? Brinks, ADP, or something?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 AM

539 posts, read 2,103,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
A few of my neighbors have camera systems that didnt cost nearly that much. The police are under-staffed but they also need th cooperation of the citizens. Most of the criminals who break in houses in my area are caught because we are on the lookout and provide the police with information. Did anyone see the YouTube comments where someone names one of the suspects? Crazy.
Yeah, they name three of the suspects and claim one of them took part in a murder. They reference an article "Atlanta Crime Spree Blamed on Katrina".

Another interesting comment on Youtube is from another victim of burglary that mentions the thiefs waited until the alarm co. called the cops, the cops came and left and 10 minutes later the thiefs came back. They were watching the cops the whole time.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post

Another interesting comment on Youtube is from another victim of burglary that mentions the thiefs waited until the alarm co. called the cops, the cops came and left and 10 minutes later the thiefs came back. They were watching the cops the whole time.
Interesting, I haven't heard of that before. In my neighborhood so many people work from home, I don't think that plan would work too well.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Ouch, one of those families spent $7500 for the four camera security system. That's prohibitive. I couldn't see a reason to spend that much unless you factor in personal security as a top priority. The comments on YouTube are interesting. Many people posting about their place being burglarized.

This wouldn't scare me from Grant Park, though. I had a roommate mugged in the carport of a house I used to live in near Chastain Park 13 years ago. It was a quiet, nice place. Two months later the house was burglarized. Nothing like those experiences to really mess up your sense of safety/security. It can happen anywhere.

The AJC article I read said the couple worked in the film industry, IIRC.

Just last Christmas my neighbor left for church one Sunday AM and returned a few hours later to find her house had been burglarized. I didn't hear/see anything and neither did other neighbors. I think they took her laptop and a few other small items. Very bold thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta