Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 26,006 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My wife and I are currently researching various places to relocate...we currently live in NJ, and we just can't afford the cost of living. I'm in the Air Force now, but as soon as I get out- in about 18 months-, we'll be on our way.

Anyway, I would like to pursue a career as a police officer after I'm done serving, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the Atlanta PD as an employer, or if anyone knew what it was like to be a cop in Atlanta. We intend to visit in the summer to get a better feel for the area, but I'd really appreciate any information, especially on the police department.

Thanks so much!
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
Well, the department has had some problems with being very understaffed in the past. Not sure how it is now.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:20 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
If it were me, I'd look at departments in some of the suburbs of Atlanta, rather than in the City of Atlanta itself. The city has had some major budget issues lately, which are most likely going to result in some layoffs in an already understaffed department. Add in the amount of crime in the city (there's a robbery, shooting, carjacking, etc on the news practically every day within the city limits), and it's not what I'd call the "ideal job" unless you're some sort of adrenaline junkie.

Also, within 18 months the economy should have improved, and growth in the burbs will have started again, which will require additional officers to be hired. You'll also find it easier to live in the burbs on a police salary, as they're generally more affordable than the intown areas.

Lastly, I'd think long and hard about moving down here without a job already lined up.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 26,006 times
Thanks for the info! Any reccommendations on which suburbs are growing?

Oh, and I'd apply while still in NJ...I'd know if I made it into the academy/got the job before moving down to GA. Haha there's no way I could convince my wife to go ANYWHERE if I didn't have a job lined up!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaruska View Post
Thanks for the info! Any reccommendations on which suburbs are growing?
Well, before the slowdown, the majority of the growth was to the north in Cherokee, Cobb, Forsyth and Gwinnett Counties. There are numerous towns in each of these counties that each have their own police departments, and there's also a county sheriff's office in each.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaruska View Post
Hi!

My wife and I are currently researching various places to relocate...we currently live in NJ, and we just can't afford the cost of living. I'm in the Air Force now, but as soon as I get out- in about 18 months-, we'll be on our way.

Anyway, I would like to pursue a career as a police officer after I'm done serving, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the Atlanta PD as an employer, or if anyone knew what it was like to be a cop in Atlanta. We intend to visit in the summer to get a better feel for the area, but I'd really appreciate any information, especially on the police department.

Thanks so much!
Scott
I would suggest Johns Creek PD.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Dunwoody is a newly formed city in Dekalb County (north of Atlanta near I-285) that will be hiring a PD in the coming months

Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM

173 posts, read 521,952 times
Default Fear no evil

Hey, I'm not sure if you visit officer.com, it's a site where a lot of officers / law enforcement, potential applicants etc go and post topics. But on the main forum there is a Georgia police forum here, Georgia - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com .

Just looking over the topics I saw a lot about Atlanta and the surrounding counties. They also have a ask a cop forum Ask a Cop - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com , where you can ask questions to law enforcement officers.

Also don't forget to visit the main atlanta PD site Atlanta Police Department | Home, there is a pdf on that site called "Fragile Momentum" here is the link, http://www.atlantapd.org/files/APD%20Plan%20of%20Action.pdf (broken link) . I would read that.

There is also a topic here in that officer.com georgia forum here, My Views on the Atlanta Police Department - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com , which is titled "My Views on the Atlanta Police Department." That may be what you are looking for. Yeah I just read the thread and it has a lot of information that may be helpful to you. The poster who started the thread posted a long post which talks about the APD, other posters also joined in with experience in the APD. Just remember that there experience will not necessairly be your experience if you don't join the law.

But I think you may want to look into working for the new dunwoody PD when it becomes available. Here is a link on the subject Dunwoody police plan adds officers, $1 million to budget | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/print/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/08/31/dunwoody_police_budget.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link) . I found a blog talking about the city of dunwoody temporarily contracting police services. Dekalb Officers: City of Dunwoody to temporarily contract police services

We need more officers and less criminals. God Bless

Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Hopefully the suburbs WILL NOT begin to grow again...I think we have had enough suburban growth in Atlanta to last about a century. I can't imagine anyone actually wanting the suburbs to continue the horrible, sprawly growth that has attracted much criticism and ridicule to the Atlanta area. I would hope that the city continues to grow as it has been...Atlanta's city population has grown more than any other U.S. city since 2000.

The budget problems in Atlanta will pass, just like they always do in every city, and the police department will continue hiring and growing with the city because it is a required service. I compare the situation to Dekalb County Schools...I just got hired there as a teacher - even though all I have heard recently in the media has been Dekalb's budget and staff cutbacks and a hiring freeze. Teachers and police officers are two mandatory public servants that society cannot do without.

Starting salary in the city is among the highest in Metro Atlanta, although the STEP increases are frozen for now - just like in Dekalb County Schools - but that won't last either.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Hopefully the suburbs WILL NOT begin to grow again...I think we have had enough suburban growth in Atlanta to last about a century. I can't imagine anyone actually wanting the suburbs to continue the horrible, sprawly growth that has attracted much criticism and ridicule to the Atlanta area. I would hope that the city continues to grow as it has been...Atlanta's city population has grown more than any other U.S. city since 2000.
While you may not like it, the suburbs will continue to grow once the current economic woes pass. Not everyone wants to live in the city (as evidenced by the outward growth in the past). That's not to say that the growth can't be done smarter than it was in the past, but to expect the suburbs to just stall is very short-sighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta