Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times

Advertisements

I would like feedback on a longstanding practice by the Atlanta Police Department whereby officers are positioned to do a road block of sorts on the on ramp to the southbound connector HOV lane from John Portman Blvd. downtown.
I ride through the area daily on the on ramp while on a GRTA bus that is headed southbound & see the officers postioned there quite regularly. Firstoff it is a pain for the bus to squeeze through on the access lane between the officer's parked motorcylcles on one side of the ramp & the vehicles they have pulled over for ticketing which are parked on the right side of the lane.
But the main thing that I question is whether or not the practice is entirely above-board or legal given the on ramp signage at the corner of John Portman Blvd. & Piedmont Ave. NE.
The sign reads "HOV I-85/75 south" but does not say "ONLY" HOV. So, is it legal or are they taking advantage of dubious signage?
Perhaps from what I wrote here it sounds like an open & shut case in favor of the A.P.D. but when I actually see the signage every day, it really does appear questionable in it's lack of clarity.
I'm sure the "road block" is a part of the daily goal of ticket writing & a cash cow for the city but I hate that it seems to catch an undue number of out-of-towners who may not be familiar with the interstate access ramps, much less the concept of what HOV means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I would like feedback on a longstanding practice by the Atlanta Police Department whereby officers are positioned to do a road block of sorts on the on ramp to the southbound connector HOV lane from John Portman Blvd. downtown.
I ride through the area daily on the on ramp while on a GRTA bus that is headed southbound & see the officers postioned there quite regularly. Firstoff it is a pain for the bus to squeeze through on the access lane between the officer's parked motorcylcles on one side of the ramp & the vehicles they have pulled over for ticketing which are parked on the right side of the lane.
But the main thing that I question is whether or not the practice is entirely above-board or legal given the on ramp signage at the corner of John Portman Blvd. & Piedmont Ave. NE.
The sign reads "HOV I-85/75 south" but does not say "ONLY" HOV. So, is it legal or are they taking advantage of dubious signage?
Perhaps from what I wrote here it sounds like an open & shut case in favor of the A.P.D. but when I actually see the signage every day, it really does appear questionable in it's lack of clarity.
I'm sure the "road block" is a part of the daily goal of ticket writing & a cash cow for the city but I hate that it seems to catch an undue number of out-of-towners who may not be familiar with the interstate access ramps, much less the concept of what HOV means.
Sorry, when I read HOV, I do not think it infers HOV and or Single Occupancy vehicles. It simply means HOV, the tickets are well deserved.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
HOV means the same all over the country.
Quote:
It simply means HOV, the tickets are well deserved.
Yes.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
That happens at virtually every high-volume HOV on-ramp- not just the Portman ramp that you think has "dubious signage". The ramp I get on at (Williams Street NB) makes it pretty obvious that the left lane is HOV only (since the regular lane is always backed up, moving slowly, and everyone is trying to merge into it), and yet there's always a few cars pulled over for hitting the HOV lane solo. If APD has to keep doing this, and they've always got people pulled over, it's obviously something people continue to think they can get away with, so they deserve the ticket.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:42 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Contact GDOT and tell them to improve the signage.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Good idea testa. I've not been sure whether to contact the GDOT or someone else because I thought that the sign was on city property..

BobKovacs
I'd like to check out the signage at another on ramp to an HOV lane so I guess that the Williams St. one you use would not be a good candidate because it serves 2 different lanes going into differing parts of the northbound connector & thus they are well marked, right?
What about the on ramp where you get onto the HOV lane coming inbound? Can you check the signage & see if it is marked with "Only"? I just feel that the distinction is important. Thus, if the Portman on ramp is the only one not marked with an "Only", the GDOT needs to amend it.
By the way, like all of you posters here, I have no sympathy for dodgy folks who try to finnagle their way to abuse the HOV lane or to commit other travesties in traffic.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
I hate solo drivers in the HOV lane. Fine 'em up.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I hate solo drivers in the HOV lane. Fine 'em up.
They should be publicly flogged.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They should be publicly flogged.
Or maybe something less violent...like "verbally flogged".

Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I can see your point.

As others have said, no one has any patience for drivers who intentionally flout the HOV lanes.

However, if you got ticketed because you're not familiar with the area and didn't understand the signs, a judge might buy the argument that the signs are not as clear as they should be. If there's an "Only" marker you are dead in the water. Otherwise I'd give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta