Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 131,591 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering relocating to Atlanta and would like to know what are the safest and best places to live in the Atlanta area. I've only visited Atlanta so I wouldn't know where to begin my search for apartments/condos/townhouses/houses. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
You'll actually get more answers in the Atlanta room.

Moving post.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
The "best" places to live in Atlanta vary widely based on what you consider to be "best" and how much you plan to spend for mortgage or rent.

Some people want to be in the heart of town, close to clubs, restaurants, arts venues, and parks. Others prefer to be in the suburbs. For some it's important to have the best public schools. For others commute time or access to public transportation is the most important (Atlanta has terrible traffic). Regardless of all other factors, how much you're willing to spend will largely determine where you will be able to live.

If you can provide more information (including which area of town you'll be working in), you'll get more helpful answers.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 47,278 times
Like Intown said, more info on your situation would be helpful

In anycase, I can give you a little info on north atlanta and south atlanta neighborhoods, maybe that might help jumpstart your thoughts, as you can search the cities i'll list further on the forums!

NORTH:
Dunwoody/Sandy Springs - I know someone who was a cop there, and I currently go to school there. This is a pretty nice area, lots of shopping, restaurants, close access to two major interstates (285 and 400). The cost of living is pretty reasonable, and its a safer area. There are a couple MARTA train stations, and lots of bus access. Roswell is good too.
Smyrna/Vinings - I've heard good things about this area from people I know who live there. I can't say per se, I have only been once for an event.
Marietta

SOUTH:
AVOID CLAYTON COUNTY!! - Schools have lost their accreditation, crime is awful, and the city is just...its almost like the redheaded stepchild of the state. No one really cares about it and its not a very safe or nice place.
Stockbridge - the "city" of OTP (outside the perimeter - meaning outside the 285 loop). Lots of shopping, places to eat. Close to 675 and 75. Right on the border, there is a place called Eagle's Landing, which is very nice and sort of the "better" side of Stockbridge.
McDonough - about 45 minutes away from downtown, the area is expanding rapidly, as is all of Henry County. All the amenities of a city...but not in the hussle and bustle of it all. Close to 75, depending on which side you live on!

Hope I helped a little!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 69,178 times
Default stay away from downtown and midtown.

as a single female...

I suggest Bennington Towers in Buckhead

24 hr concierge

Close to all the major interstates

Best school systems

More secure area- mostly residential area

Close to shopping center

Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM

135 posts, read 533,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi487 View Post
Like Intown said, more info on your situation would be helpful

In anycase, I can give you a little info on north atlanta and south atlanta neighborhoods, maybe that might help jumpstart your thoughts, as you can search the cities i'll list further on the forums!

NORTH:
Dunwoody/Sandy Springs - I know someone who was a cop there, and I currently go to school there. This is a pretty nice area, lots of shopping, restaurants, close access to two major interstates (285 and 400). The cost of living is pretty reasonable, and its a safer area. There are a couple MARTA train stations, and lots of bus access. Roswell is good too.
Smyrna/Vinings - I've heard good things about this area from people I know who live there. I can't say per se, I have only been once for an event.
Marietta

SOUTH:
AVOID CLAYTON COUNTY!! - Schools have lost their accreditation, crime is awful, and the city is just...its almost like the redheaded stepchild of the state. No one really cares about it and its not a very safe or nice place.
Stockbridge - the "city" of OTP (outside the perimeter - meaning outside the 285 loop). Lots of shopping, places to eat. Close to 675 and 75. Right on the border, there is a place called Eagle's Landing, which is very nice and sort of the "better" side of Stockbridge.
McDonough - about 45 minutes away from downtown, the area is expanding rapidly, as is all of Henry County. All the amenities of a city...but not in the hussle and bustle of it all. Close to 75, depending on which side you live on!

Hope I helped a little!
Although I live in Atlanta now, I use to live in McDonough (parents still do). I'd have to disagree about no hussle and bustle, as Henry County has been in the top 5 of the largest growing counties in the nation for some years now. It is getting overpopulated and if you listen to traffic reports you'll always hear Eagles Landing (border between McDonough/Stockbridge) being congested. Also, while it can be agreed that Clayton Co is probably not a good place to go, I have beliefs that the crime from that area is slowly moving its way to the Henry Co area. I have a lot of friends who are moving out of the area for this reason.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,591 times
Find out the zip codes of the areas in at Atlanta that you are interested in and then go to a site called Zip Skinny . It will provide you with all the safety , crime statistics and other information you might want about a certain area.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:24 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Find out the zip codes of the areas in at Atlanta that you are interested in and then go to a site called Zip Skinny . It will provide you with all the safety , crime statistics and other information you might want about a certain area.
Thank you SO much for Zip Skinny!! I'm looking for a new home and this is WONDERFUL information. Many thanks...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks Mandi487 that is great info and great place to start. I'm in the early stages so I'm just basically trying to see what areas are known to be safer than others. There are not any job prospects as of now. I know it's vague but just trying to gather very basic information. Again, thanks for the information.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks atlantagreg30127.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta