Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking information on Hampton, Georgia schools, cost of living, real estate, things to do, family activities, race relations, employment, climate

Old 03-16-2007, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 29,154 times

Advertisements

So no one is going to offer any relevant information about Hampton, no one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 29,154 times
Dear Sarah- Below is the thread I posted yesterday in answer to your questions of what I would like to know about Hampton. Thank you in advance for your help

People's thoughts on Hampton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Fellow Forum members- Thanks to all of you who replied and have continued to help me with my questions about different towns in Georgia. I now post the same questions concerning Hampton. What are people's thougts on oh you know the same things that seem to concern us all.... crime rate, schools for elementary school children and high schoolers, racism, jobs, and so on?.... I welcome any suggestions, thoughts, comments, further questions to me, if you have any...thank you in advance.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,684 times
There is an entire page devoted to Hampton information and statistics found right here at City-Data:

//www.city-data.com/city/Hampton-Georgia.html

(copy & paste)

I took a drive through the area a few years ago and it was mostly rural and a nice drive in the country back then. I know that it's the home of Atlanta Motor Speedway. I know nothing about the schools and seldom feel qualifed to comment beyond what I know personally, so hopefully other members who've lived there or are familiar with the current scenario in Hampton, Georgia will reply soon.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 21,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA.MOM2K15&6 View Post
So no one is going to offer any relevant information about Hampton, no one?
Hi Ma.Mom

I am looking to move to the Hampton area next summer. I am a mom as well and had the same questions and concerns. I did some Private messaging to get answers to my questions and feed back regarding Henry County in general.

I found a great website for schools. www.schooldigger.com. As for jobs, I already know I will be communting north to work. From the few people I spoke to racism was not a problem. I was out there last year everyone was friendly. Some areas are more diverse than others. If you look on this website you will see the breakdown for the schools and neighborhoods. There is alot of growth coming to county which will hopefully bring more jobs.

I going back in May to find me a house and visit the schools. And to test out the commute to ATL, is it really that bad???

Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 11,211 times
Default Hampton, Ga resident

Quote:
Dear Sarah- Below is the thread I posted yesterday in answer to your questions of what I would like to know about Hampton. Thank you in advance for your help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Fellow Forum members- Thanks to all of you who replied and have continued to help me with my questions about different towns in Georgia. I now post the same questions concerning Hampton. What are people's thougts on oh you know the same things that seem to concern us all.... crime rate, schools for elementary school children and high schoolers, racism, jobs, and so on?.... I welcome any suggestions, thoughts, comments, further questions to me, if you have any...thank you in advance.
Hi Ma.Mom,

I've lived in Hampton, Ga since 1988. For the most part I love the City. It very small, very quiet and utilities are probably the least expensive in the whole U.S. if you live in the city of Hampton. My bill for all utilities excluding Gas, was $66. This is water, sewage, electricity & garbage p/u. I'm told because we have to tolerate the raceway is the reason we get such a break on utilities. We are virtually trapped in our homes twice year, but that is a small price to pay for cheap utilities.

The government of Hampton, is frustrating. It is run by a bunch of hicks who bicker constantly - but there are worse things. Mexicans are beginning to move in, but thus far its not a big problem. Not like some places. Can't say much about schools, since I have no school aged children. I am told we have some of the best schools in the South. Racism, doesn't appear to be problem here. Of course, I am caucasian and have been told, I don't understand racism. But, I feel like people accept each other here.

I like Hampton and cannot think of a better place in which to live. I would say weather-wise, there is no better climate anywhere. Jobs, this place is growing and there are many close county in which to work. I drive to Peachtree City, 30 minute commute and love my job.

Well, I hope I answered some of your questions.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:54 PM

283 posts, read 1,194,048 times
Well I have lived in Hampton and currently my permanent residence is in Locust Grove. Many of my family members live close by to my home there and they home school until their kids start high school or unless the kid just really wants to go to school outside the home. Reason being is that my sisters there just happen to be really smart and can actually can them a better education than what the public schools can offer; they also do not like how the public education system is run in the area; but, they do have some really great private schools in the area that are very cheap too. My sisters send their oldest kids to private school for their high school education. I can't remember the name of the school right now but I will ask one of them next time I see one of them because the school really is excellent. They have a program designed to begin college instruction going toward a degree of the student choice as low as 7th grade and of course dependent on the students’ abilities.

I went to Hampton Elementary for year (3rd grade) myself but that has been 20years ago. Back then the schools were still pretty small; but, still couldn't compete well with the education I recv'd from nearby Fayette County Schools. We moved back to Fayette at the end of that year. Most people do seem to be happy with the education they get there though and many of the schools are new. They are also over crowded right now because Henry County is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation and the school system just simply can't keep up with the growth right now. On the plus side to that, your child is more likely to get brand new everything and cutting edge technology there than other slower growing areas.

Racism may be experienced but it is highly unusual for it to occur. In areas growing this fast though you never know whose going to move in next. Most of the newer neighborhoods you'll find are quite diverse no matter what price range you are looking at. Be sure that you really look into the construction quality though! Many homes are going up to quick and the quality control just isn't there. If you do not know much about construction get a real good friend who does or hire a structural engineer (outside of Henry County and immediately neighboring counties) to look over the home before you purchase. Most good structural engineers will not charge you any more than what it would cost to get a termite letter (usually $75-$200), $200-300 max for the engineer or they are over charging. Unless you already own the home and need to make corrections in which case the engineer's prices go out the roof.

Jobs are currently somewhat limited for professionals but are increasing quickly in the area. Your commute to work is probably one of the worst in this area of ATL's Southside. Both of the main routes (Tara BLVD or I75) into ATL are clogged most of the day. Many back roads can be taken but they too have gotten to stop and go or maybe even no go at peak rush hours or even when an accident occurs. When I was actually living there and working about 25 miles north of my home, it always took at least an hour to get to work and generally 1.5hrs to get home no matter which way I went.

If you really just want to live in Hampton though I would recommend trying to stay North and West of the race track (Tara BLVD aka 19&41) or if you don't mind getting out of Hampton addresses but still just as close look between HWY 20 and Locust Grove Road to the east of Hampton. But beware of traffic, my home is in this area and during a race unless you are at it be prepared to pack your family into the home until it’s over. Last time I was home during a race it took me 6 hours to go 8 miles to the grocery store on the dirt roads that no one likes to take much less the major routes. By the way police are out directing traffic at this time and all four lanes of HWY 20 are moving east toward the interstate with no west bound traffic after the race.

Even better yet for best all round place close by, check out Woolsey. It is in Fayette County so the schools are great, property values will continue their steady rise (not as volatile as Henry) and you can still find about as house for a little bit more money. Better jobs are in Fayette County too but for the best Fayette County has to offer without a long commute is going to be in the Peachtree City and Tyrone areas.

Good Luck!

Quote:

Last edited by pickleswanson; 06-02-2007 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: add note

Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 57,842 times
Wow, I'm loving the last minute information I'm getting since I'm looking to move to Hampton, Georgia in the next 3-4 weeks. Actually I'm in the process of scheduling an appointment to look at some new houses that have just been built so I'll definitely take the advice of having someone look it over. However what concerned me about this subdivision is while it's located in Henry County, the schools my children would attend are Clayton County Schools based on the actual address....specifically, Kemp and LoveJoy Middle/High. I wasn't impressed with the research I've done as far as Clayton County School District is concerned.

Based on the things I've been reading in this thread, I might really take a look at Fayette County. I just happen to be impressed by the growth that Henry County is experiencing and that's definitely the type of area that I'm looking to being a part of. And if the cost of utilities are that reasonable, it's definitely where I need to be. I'm in Illinois and man....for utilities excluding Gas that runs me around $150...Gas is about a car note and then some.

I have a job lined up in Stockbridge...I'm hoping that the commute time will not be a big issue... I have a friend that lives in the Hampton area and has an hr commute time each way..that's definitely something I'd have to adjust to. So when I come back from Hampton the end of the month, I'll definitely have to post a reply based on my observations...

Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 PM

283 posts, read 1,194,048 times
Yeah I'm sorry I couldn't have given you info earlier. I recently deployed and instead of looking up posts I just started off with what was on the front page again. Took me a while to get internet access again with any kind of regularity.

As far as the schools go where you are looking, Love Joy area schools certainly would not be where I would send my kids. Of course with everything being so close together in the area I had several friends that went to those schools before, durning and after their construction. Many of them moved asap to get out of those schools because of how the districts were drawn and quickly became dangerous schools regardless of it quility of education. Their first 5 years were turbulent to say the least but the area has continued to grow and seems to have stabilzed considerablly. Unforntunately its past still seems to haunt it on occasion.
Traffic from Fayette to Stockbridge does move so that's a plus but your travel time will probablly be about the same. Good luck to ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta