Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,078 times

Advertisements

Which area has the most/worst crime, South Fulton (including SW Atlanta) or South Dekalb (including SE Atlanta)?

Is it better the further in or the further out that you go?

Which are the most diverse areas south of I-20?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Those are very large areas with hundreds of completely different neighborhoods spread from one end to the other...crime is very common in some of those neighborhoods, while others are quiet and have a very low occurrence of criminal activity. People don't live in "all of S. Dekalb" or "all of S. Fulton", but in smaller sections of those vast areas...so I'm not sure how anyone could accurately compare the two.

I live in S. Fulton, but only about 5 minutes from Downtown. I have never seen a crime committed nor have I been the victim of a crime in all of my years at my current residence - but that is ONLY my neighborhood, which is about 10 blocks by 3-4 blocks. The atmosphere could be completely different in West End, Capitol View, or somewhere in Palmetto. There is really no way for one person to know the crime situation in all corners of the county.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 PM

What areas in each county are quiet and have a very low occurrence of criminal activity... and are diverse?

Is it better the further in or the further out that you go?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM

55 posts, read 233,858 times
You could always check out the Atlanta Police Department website for crime statistics to form your own opinion: Atlanta Police Department | Home.

What is "diverse" to you?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westviewbungalow View Post

What is "diverse" to you?
An equitable distribution of races. Not a "black area". Not a "white area"... For example, i went to the Fellini's in Decatur and each table contained a mixture or Black, Whites, Asians, Indian, etc...

I'm asking 'cause I know Atlanta can be heavily segregated...

Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westviewbungalow View Post
You could always check out the Atlanta Police Department website for crime statistics to form your own opinion: Atlanta Police Department | Home.
I think this link just pertains to the city of Atlanta. I was asking about all of South Fulton and South Dekalb (including Atlanta). As you may know, only a small portion of Dekalb County is actually in the city of Atlanta...

Since the areas are so broad, I think informed people on this site may be my best bet...

What's it like at westview?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
An equitable distribution of races. Not a "black area". Not a "white area"... For example, i went to the Fellini's in Decatur and each table contained a mixture or Black, Whites, Asians, Indian, etc...

I'm asking 'cause I know Atlanta can be heavily segregated...
That doesn't automatically mean that Decatur is diverse...I mean, it is as far as I know, but those people eating at Fellini's could live anywhere.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:40 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,058 times
Painting with an extremely broad brush, I can speak to south DeKalb. It can be dicey. I'm sure there are neighborhoods within south DeKalb that are fine. My guess is they are the exception. Generally, north of Memorial Drive is going to be better. I don't know enough south Fulton to address it.

My neighborhood in Scottdale, east of Decatur, is what I'd consider on the borderline of safe and sketchy.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That doesn't automatically mean that Decatur is diverse...I mean, it is as far as I know, but those people eating at Fellini's could live anywhere.
True...I've eaten at that Fellini's plenty of times...and it's fairly diverse...but the clientele does not really reflect the city as a whole.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,537 times
I can speak for the area I live in South Fulton. But again, Fulton itself is huge, and south Fulton consists of East Point, College Park, Hapeville, Union City, Fairburn, Palmetto, and Unincorporated South Fulton (areas of Cascade, College Park, and Atlanta). Where I live in Fairburn, I have been fortunate not to have witnessed a crime nor is there high crime in my neighborhood. It is also somewhat diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta