Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Atlanta area mall(s) should be shut down?
Arbor Place Mall (Douglasville) 1 1.25%
Cumberland Mall (Smyrna/Vinings) 3 3.75%
Discover Mills (Duluth) 1 1.25%
Greenbriar Mall (SW Atlanta) 24 30.00%
Gwinnett Place Mall (Duluth) 7 8.75%
Lenox Square Mall (Buckhead) 2 2.50%
North Dekalb Mall 12 15.00%
Northlake Mall (Tucker) 6 7.50%
North Point Mall (Alpharetta) 0 0%
Perimeter Mall (Dunwoody) 3 3.75%
Phipps Plaza (Buckhead) 2 2.50%
Stonecrest Mall (Lithonia) 7 8.75%
Town Center at Cobb Mall (Kennesaw) 1 1.25%
Mall of Georgia (Buford) 1 1.25%
South Dekalb Mall (Decatur/Panthersville) 19 23.75%
Southlake Mall (Morrow) 12 15.00%
Shannon Mall (Union City) 22 27.50%
Ashley Park (Newnan) 1 1.25%
None should close 27 33.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What I would really like to see is NL Mall more integrated into the shopping areas that surround it: Northlake Festival, Briarcliff Village and Sports Authority Plaza. Done right, you could really have something special there...a shopping mecca that bridges Tucker, North Decatur and NE Atlanta. The county is already laying out big $$$ for the Northlake Streetscape.
That, too, is an interesting idea. I'm not sure how that could be accomplished, though. With I-285, Lavista, Braircliff, Henderson Mill, and Montreal Roads, and Northlake Parkway all feeding into the area it'd be almost impossible to create connectivity between the various shopping centers, particularly the mall and N-Lake Festival, without creating a 24/7 traffic disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM

16,705 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
A trend here in DFW has been for outdoor malls, one opened a couple of years back, one is slated to open this summer and another is on the drawing boards. Think Avenues at Cobb with a Macy's, Sears and Dillards in the mix, a couple of the big boxes and offices and condos/apartments above the retail. I could see something like this doing well in Atlanta, not as another mall added to the mix, but a redo of an aging mall. Northlake would be prime.

I would have to visit Northlake again to envision its layout, but the idea would be to leave the big anchors, raise the rest of the mall and build an open air town center with streets around the big anchors. Put some offices and loft apartments over the stores and you have a great live/work/play area that would have enough difference from the rest of the malls to make it more of a destination again.
This is what I was thinking exactly.

There is a modified version of this already at Stonecrest, and Cumberland/Perimeter (the restaurants).

Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What I would really like to see is NL Mall more integrated into the shopping areas that surround it: Northlake Festival, Briarcliff Village and Sports Authority Plaza. Done right, you could really have something special there...a shopping mecca that bridges Tucker, North Decatur and NE Atlanta. The county is already laying out big $$$ for the Northlake Streetscape.
This would be oh-so-wonderful...

and it's doable...and needed.

And it would be successful...

Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That, too, is an interesting idea. I'm not sure how that could be accomplished, though. With I-285, Lavista, Braircliff, Henderson Mill, and Montreal Roads, and Northlake Parkway all feeding into the area it'd be almost impossible to create connectivity between the various shopping centers, particularly the mall and N-Lake Festival, without creating a 24/7 traffic disaster.
It could be done. Think outside of the box.

The future of development will be (or should be) about retrofitting, remodeling, reconfiguring, and redeveloping.

Northlake is prime for a lot of great changes.

And imagine if they added a MARTA Line and/or Commuter Rail Line through there (which would be very easy since the rail corridor is already in place...a MARTA Line that starts at Armour/Lindbergh with stops at Cheshire Bridge, Sage Hill, Emory/Druid Hills, Clairmont, Leafmore, Northlake...and then on to Tucker, Smokerise, etc...sigh.)

Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

OK, I'm thinking tunnels for vehicles and bridges for pedestrians.

What is your vision for this transformation?

I couldn't agree more with the MARTA and commuter rail ideas. Those are no brainers, especially the commuter line/Brain train. Unfortunately, most of the people this state has elected seem to be brainless, so the best ideas go nowhere.

http://www.georgiabraintrain.com/adm...esentation.pdf

Old 06-05-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
OK, I'm thinking tunnels for vehicles and bridges for pedestrians.

What is your vision for this transformation?

I couldn't agree more with the MARTA and commuter rail ideas. Those are no brainers, especially the commuter line/Brain train. Unfortunately, most of the people this state has elected seem to be brainless, so the best ideas go nowhere.

http://www.georgiabraintrain.com/admin/uploads/brain_train_presentation.pdf (broken link)

Think more along the lines of the streetscape projects in the south of Lenox area of Buckhead and in Midtown, or the Village Green in Smyrna, the redeveloped downtown Suwanee, Crabapple in North Fulton, or Roswell...

This is just the start...I'm about to take a nap...don't have the time or energy to layout a whole master-plan for Northlake right now (I may later...)

Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
JPD

Quote:
Think more along the lines of the streetscape projects in the south of Lenox area of Buckhead and in Midtown, or the Village Green in Smyrna, the redeveloped downtown Suwanee, Crabapple in North Fulton, or Roswell...
I've never been to any of those places.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
^I've seen all of them but Crabapple JPD, and they are all cool. Way cool, as a matter of fact. I'll add Downtown Woodstock to the list.

From the looks of things, Duluth is getting on board now too.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:53 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:

The future of development will be (or should be) about retrofitting, remodeling, reconfiguring, and redeveloping.

Northlake is prime for a lot of great changes.

And imagine if they added a MARTA Line and/or Commuter Rail Line through there (which would be very easy since the rail corridor is already in place...a MARTA Line that starts at Armour/Lindbergh with stops at Cheshire Bridge, Sage Hill, Emory/Druid Hills, Clairmont, Leafmore, Northlake...and then on to Tucker, Smokerise, etc...sigh.)
I almost hate to bring this up, but the original MARTA rail plan had a line that split off the East Line and followed almost this exact allignment.

Sigh, indeed.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I almost hate to bring this up, but the original MARTA rail plan had a line that split off the East Line and followed almost this exact allignment.

Sigh, indeed.
Yep, it did.

And, a better modern version of that proposal would be to split off from the Lindbergh/Armour area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta