Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 44,934 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Georgia area and would like some imput on cumming ga. I have two school aged daughters and was wondering if this area would be safe and laid back....any information about this area would be greatly appreciated..oh, and what wuld the comute to ft mcpherson be like...i know traffic can be a pain in atlanta...ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
That would be a horrendous commute! It's probably a 40 mile drive and would take upwards of an hour each way (more time in rush-hour traffic). Cumming is way up there. If you're concerned about home costs, you could probably find something affordable closer to town.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
That would be a disastrous decision. Cumming to Ft. McPherson is about 50 miles and easily 1.5 hours each way. For the sake of your children, choose somewhere on the south side of the city - that are lots of better choices!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
I'm not afraid of long commutes (I do 36 miles into downtown), and even I wouldn't recommend that drive. There's plenty of other options to look at.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,636 times
If you're at Ft Macpherson/Ft Gillem, try looking in the Stockbridge/McDonough area. Henry County is growing very quickly and has a lot of the newer stores and amenities. Stay away from Clayton County if you need good schools, though. That system is so messed up they lost their accreditation last year, and are just now getting it back. Clayton County may be cheaper than Henry, and closer to Fort Mac, but you get what you pay for.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 7,687 times
Hi, I am also considering a move to Cumming, I especially like the Vickery area. Does anyone have any information about Vickery, how homes are selling, etc? My husband was there recently and he said there are lots of vacancies in the Vickery Village shops. We are looking at relocating from Costa Rica, so any information about this area would be greatly appreciated. My kids are 13 and 9, so I am particularily interested in the public school system, since they will be moving from a private school.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Default Cumming/Vickery

The Vickery area is very nice, very Upscale. The shopping center is 4? years old, and has not filled up yet, also eco downturn does not make for small biz to move in then. There is a Y also in the vickery shopping area. Dont expect 'big' shopping there. For that you will need to go somewhere off GA400. Walmart/Supermarks are bout 5 miles away. All the schools in Forsyth are great. Vickery ES & Vickery MS are next to each other and the Vicery area goes to West HS, built 3 yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta