Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 25,876 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving from Charleston SC to Atlanta on Aug 1st. We are an interracial couple (hes white im black) Im 23 and he is 33. We found a great place on 10th street. Being that we have only been there once we dont know much about the area.

Is this a good area to be in?
Is there any nightlife close by?
Restaurants within walking distance?
Hows Piedmont Parks dog park?
Any restaurant, nightclub, lounge, recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnurse View Post
My fiance and I are moving from Charleston SC to Atlanta on Aug 1st. We are an interracial couple (hes white im black) Im 23 and he is 33. We found a great place on 10th street. Being that we have only been there once we dont know much about the area.

1) Is this a good area to be in?
2) Is there any nightlife close by?
3) Restaurants within walking distance?
4) Hows Piedmont Parks dog park?
5) Any restaurant, nightclub, lounge, recommendations?
1) Nice area overall. Like any place in a large city, you don't want to walk alone at 11pm, but it's not considered a "bad" neighborhood. Keep in mind there is a large gay population in this area (sort of Atlanta's "West Hollywood"), so if that bothers you or your fiance, that might be a problem. If you don't have issues with it, no problem. There has been an influx of a mixture of folks moving into Midtown in the last few years as well, so I guess the trendy word to use would be "eclectic".

2) Lots of night life nearby, but keeping # 1 in mind, note that some of it is in the form of gay bars, so if you notice a distinct lack of women when you enter a place, you'll know. But other types of places are around, too.

3) Plenty of restaurants of all types within walking distance.

4) Haven't used it, but have heard people say nice things about it. A typical dog park. Clean up the poop, though.

5) Others who live there can recommend specifics.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 AM

37 posts, read 134,050 times
Quote:
Thanks
1) Define "good". You're in a very convenient location, that's for sure, and a lot of people love Midtown. It's just kinda pricey.

2 & 3) There is nightlife all over downtown, but I notice restaurants more prevalently in midtown itself. I'm not sure if you mean dance clubs, or just
bars (of which there are also plenty). I presume that is why you moved here?

4) No idea, but I've heard good things.

5) I'll leave that to the other posters. I am just moving here myself. I recommend also checking out Yelp.com and UrbanSpoon (http://http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/9/Atlanta-restaurants.html - broken link) for foodstuffs, and Creative Loafing or one of the many local 'zines for information on music, bands and clubs.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Lightbulb My thoughts...

[quote=lilnurse;9437880]My fiance and I are moving from Charleston SC to Atlanta on Aug 1st. We are an interracial couple (hes white im black) Im 23 and he is 33. We found a great place on 10th street. Being that we have only been there once we dont know much about the area.

Is this a good area to be in? Yes
Is there any nightlife close by? Yes
Restaurants within walking distance? Yes
Hows Piedmont Parks dog park? Great

Plenty of Nightlife walking distance tha thsould cater to your needs would include Halo, Opera, Flip Flops, Leopard Lounge, Cosmo/Lava, Twisted Taco, Door 44. Restaurants/Lounges include Beleza, Trois, Tap, Straits, Whiskey Park @ The W Hotel, Ecco...Sports Bars and Pubs Vortex/Taco Mac/Front Page News and brunch spots like Vickery, Einsteins and Flying Biscuit Cafe and Atlantic Station with it's plethora of restuarants, shops and movie theatres is less than 5 minutes away by car and would probably be a nice 20-25 minute walk from the location your going to move too. Also you have the shopping plaza on Monroe right behind you with Trader Joes, Apres Diem, The Highlander, Nam and other cool shops and restaurants as well. You would be centrally located in one of the best parts of the city and it's Marta Accessible...enjoy!

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 06-24-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Quote:

Thanks
1.) It's a sought-after URBAN area.
2.) The nightlife in ATL is primarily in this district. An increasing amount is straight now that buckhead has been demolished but as mentioned this is the GLBT district.
3.) Yes.
4.) It's not my favorite but it's a good dog park. I heard it is currently under renovation is is closed off to just a small area and is very muddy.
5.) Haven't been there in a long time due to gas prices. The nightspot situation in atlanta seems to be very fluid. There one day, gone the next.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
We lived there for a year and enjoyed the park very much. 10th street is great...busy street but manageable. Park is amazing...new pool was put in this year. Plus you can walk to great restaurants (Nikimotos for Sushi, Gilberts for Mediterranean... and my all time favorite, AVRA for Greek!) just to name a few. Crime is a big issue in midtown so just be careful at night and try to find a safe place for your car. A garage would be a HUGE plus if it comes with your apartment. If it doesn't, I'd seriously consider looking elsewhere. Just something to keep in your mind...But again, area is great!
You will have no problem at all being an interracial couple.

In all, Midtown is an amazing place to experience. If you're still on the fence, I'd take a quick drive up Virginia (about a mile from Midtown) and check out Virginia Highland. Lots of shops and restaurants in a more 'village type atmosphere' which would be my preference if I didn't have to be in N. Atlanta all day.

Welcome and good luck in your search!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:08 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Like everyone else has stated, it is a great area and you will love Piedmont Park. The large dog park it under renovation. The small dog park is not very thrilling.

There are lots of restaurants and bars. Here are some website for you to explore:

Midtown Alliance
MidtownAtlanta.org - News and Events
www.piedmontpark.org
Midtown Mile Atlanta . An Urban Retail Experience (http://www.midtownmile.org/ - broken link)
Nightlife in Midtown Atlanta
Home | High Museum of Art Atlanta
Alliance Theatre: Atlanta' s Tony Award-winning Theatre

Welcome!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
1. Like everyone else said, it's a very nice and pretty desirable area. The area also has a large gay population, so it might be a problem if you are not comfortable around gay people.

2. There is a whole lot of nightlife in this area.

3. Lots and lots of restaurants within walking distance.

4. Never been there.

Here's what I recommend.

Nightlife
Opera
Halo
Wetbar
CosmoLava
Doors 44
Whiskey Park
Sutra
Leopard Lounge

Restaurants
Atmosphere
South City Kitchen
4th & Swift
Vortex (Although I think the Little 5 Points location i better)
5th Street St. Ribs 'n Blues
Buddha
Burkhart's
Top Flr
Chicago's Nancy's Pizza
Cameli's
Spoon
FLIP
One Midtown Kitchen
Dogwood
Dosi Spice
Eugene 11
Eats
Ecco

I love the majority of Midtown restaurants, but these are my favorites.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM

[quote=Atlantasfinest;9441938]
Quote:
Quote:

Is this a good area to be in? Yes
Is there any nightlife close by? Yes
Restaurants within walking distance? Yes
Hows Piedmont Parks dog park? Great

Plenty of Nightlife walking distance tha thsould cater to your needs would include Halo, Opera, Flip Flops, Leopard Lounge, Cosmo/Lava, Twisted Taco, Door 44. Restaurants/Lounges include Beleza, Trois, Tap, Straits, Whiskey Park @ The W Hotel, Ecco...Sports Bars and Pubs Vortex/Taco Mac/Front Page News and brunch spots like Vickery, Einsteins and Flying Biscuit Cafe and Atlantic Station with it's plethora of restuarants, shops and movie theatres is less than 5 minutes away by car and would probably be a nice 20-25 minute walk from the location your going to move too. Also you have the shopping plaza on Monroe right behind you with Trader Joes, Apres Diem, The Highlander, Nam and other cool shops and restaurants as well. You would be centrally located in one of the best parts of the city and it's Marta Accessible...enjoy!
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: