Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 AM

168 posts, read 561,519 times

Advertisements

LOL that Ron comes here to compliment Atlantans, and Atlantans start attacking him. Too funny, and indicative of one trait of many Atlantans -- highly sensitive to how they are perceived.

Also funny that many don't realize that Atlanta is currently the hotbed of Hip Hop, R&B, and Crossover music in America. It makes perfect sense that a place producing hit after hit and artist after artist would be known for aspiring musicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,314,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
LOL that Ron comes here to compliment Atlantans, and Atlantans start attacking him. Too funny, and indicative of one trait of many Atlantans -- highly sensitive to how they are perceived.

Also funny that many don't realize that Atlanta is currently the hotbed of Hip Hop, R&B, and Crossover music in America. It makes perfect sense that a place producing hit after hit and artist after artist would be known for aspiring musicians.
Don't discount the Gospel music business here in Atlanta. It's booming as well. The Reggie Gay Gospel show is a favorite of my ma's. I'm original Atlantan; never lived anywhere else longterm, and I would say that yes, there are a LOT of people who want to be rappers, singers and what have you around here.

That's not to say that it's THE only thing people do around here, but from my personal experience you will find a many people trying to break into the entertainment industry in some way.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,096,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Ron, just for the record, I've lived in Atlanta for 25 years and have never heard anyone say, "everyone in Atlanta is looking for a record deal". (?)

There is no one person or group that represents Atlanta. When you come here, you will meet residents who moved here from L.A. Next door to them might be a couple from Vermont, then a gay couple from the West Coast, and someone from Florida, while across the street might be one "native" metro Atlantan and maybe someone from the Carolinas. In other words, Atlanta is now one of those cities where "everyone is from somewhere else", so you'll meet a wide variety (good to bad) of folks here. Don't let any jerks you might meet from here make you think everyone from here are jerks, but by the same token, if you meet nice bubbly people don't assume they're all like that here, too. It's MUCH more varied than most people realize once they get here.

Either way - you have a variety of neighborhoods and intown/suburban areas to pick from, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a niche once you're here.
well go to page 8 on the Atlanta is overrated thread and then you will see what he is talking about

Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Me neither. Maybe OP is thinking of Nashville?!

When it comes to R&B Hip hop people dont go to Nashville to record maybe gospel or country music

Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
But it is not a stereotype that is associated with Atlanta. Granted it is a small sample size, but no one here has ever heard anyone say that before.

I thought it was interesting as I had never heard that either. Atlanta is home to many popular hip-hop artists and I guess it would make sense that many of them got record deals in the city, but don't think Atlanta being a place for record deals is a commonly held view. Nashville and LA are the ones that came to my mind.

Maybe you guys arent heavily involved with Hip hop and r&b there are alot of top producers and aritsit who come thru atlanta to record etc i used to work for a record label here in atlanta and trust its not a stereotype its very much true. i have known many of artist who come to atlanta to get record deals are record. there are alot of gospel r&b and hip hop artist who call Atlanta home. People only go to Nashville to get country music record deals thats what Nashville is known for.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,360,599 times
Atlanta: “The New Hip-Hop MECCA?” « The Bridgette Alese Show

Atlanta Hip-Hop | AccessAtlanta (http://projects.accessatlanta.com/topics/music/atlanta-hip-hop-scene/?cxntlid=nav_entrtnmnt_tpcs_atl_hp_hop - broken link)
Delante Murphy on the Hip-Hop - R&B scene in Atlanta - ArtistshouseMusic

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-industry.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...oving-nyc.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...sic-scene.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...per-dolla.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...need-help.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...nking-atl.html

I am sure if I keep diging I can find other things to show you guys that as far as urban(black) music...hip hop, r&b, pop Atlanta is a hot spot right now. Lots and lots of ppl especially young blacks move here to be in the industry whether it be producer, rapper, singer, writer, etc etc. There are countless mainstream, up and coming, and wanna be artist that live in Metro Atlanta. Everytime I am at Camp Creek/Lenox/the gas station someone approaches me with a cd to buy to support their "music". In Lenox Mall there are all types of wanna bes hoping to see a celebrity to pass on a cd...or to sell you one.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 PM

168 posts, read 561,519 times
This is a little embarrassing. The point is really beyond discussion. Here are the artists who performed at the BET Awards last week who are from Atlanta or live here now:

Keri Hilson
Ne-Yo
Ciara
Monica
Soulja Boy
T-Pain
(and even Keith Sweat!)

Using the BET Awards website, I counted about 30 recording artists (counting each group member) who performed at the show, and 7 are from Atlanta. Out of all the cities in the US, almost 25% from Atlanta. Nuff said.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:22 AM

why would it be Embarrassing? people act like hip hop r&b are bad music its expressive just like country and rock etc. and you missed alot more that live here. Anyway I think Atlanta has a good rep and a bad rep just like every city in the USA.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,256,098 times
Atlanta is the "third coast" when it comes to Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B. There is a big Gospel market here too. I think the CCM artists tend to gravitate towards Nashville. Atlanta also has a rock heritage that isn't quite as well known.

FWIW, I've never been approached more in my life to hear someone's CD or know of people trying to break into the music biz until I moved here. However, I moved here from cities where the music industry isn't as big.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 PM

102 posts, read 382,872 times
Like many of the others have made clear. Atlanta IS the new music capital of urban music. Years back, Jermaine Dupri set out to make Atlanta the new Motown and thanks to his efforts and other like LA Reid, this has become true. I know several people that have come to Metro Atlanta for a better shot at a record deal. Atlanta is home to many, many born and raised Rap & R&B superstars and a great deal (if not atleast half) of urban artist from other places move to Atlanta after making it big.

Keyshia Cole, all of Cash Money artists, Too Short, T-Pain, Faith Evans, Akon, and the list goes on & on of artist who have moved here after getting famous. People like Usher and Bow Wow moved to Atlanta for their record deals at a young age. As of now, Atlanta is the spot to be in if you are in any form of the urban genre!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta