Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times

Advertisements

Don't wander the streets at 2 am and don't get involved with drugs or hang out with criminals and thugs, but do spend the time and effort to find a nice apartment in a good area. You should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
If I were you. I would move to the Buckhead area if that is a concern. The closer you get to the intown neighborhoods the higher the risk of an apt break in and such. I moved from the suburbs to old fourth ward and will be moving back out. I simply dont feel comfortable with the amount of vagrants in this area. But that is my own personal comfort level, everyone has a different breaking point.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
I'm considering a move to Atlanta, among several other cities, but am really scared of all the crime I've heard about. This fact alone has pretty much put Atlanta at the bottom of my list even though I really like almost everything else I've heard. Safety is definitely my #1 priority for where I move. Any thoughts?
I moved from a suburb the Twin Cities metro to a suburb in the Atlanta metro five years ago, and while I would say that the Atlanta area might have slightly higher crime in some respects, I don't think it's so different from other metros that it would make much difference in day-to-day life.

There are certainly areas to avoid, and you do need to use common sense and not do things like leave your doors unlocked or leave your GPS lying around in your car in plain sight. However, most of the areas that I've seen are just fine, the two suburbs I've lived in (Smyrna, Mableton) have generally been safe, and the City of Atlanta has a number of very nice neighborhoods within its city limits as well.

Just use common sense and spend some time learning about the area before committing to buying a house.

The only changes we've made from Eden Prairie MN are (1) installing an alarm system and (2) buying a house a little further from a main roadway (not sure the latter makes that much difference ... we mainly did that to remove traffic noise).

Old 10-08-2009, 03:46 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,004 times
Most of the violent crime is concentrated in certain areas that you'll learn to stay out of, and most of those areas are within the city limits. Most suburbs (especially in the north) are pretty safe.

Of course property crime is common everywhere, especially around apartments. If that kind of crime is a big concern for you then you're probably not going to want to move to any big city.

By the way, Buckhead is large and has some sketchy parts so don't assume something is safe just because it's there

Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Most of the violent crime is concentrated in certain areas that you'll learn to stay out of, and most of those areas are within the city limits. Most suburbs (especially in the north) are pretty safe.

Of course property crime is common everywhere unless you're 20-30 miles out. If that kind of crime is a big concern for you then you're probably not going to want to move to any big city.

By the way, Buckhead is large and has some sketchy parts so don't assume something is safe just because it's there
Then of course...I've lived in the city for 19 years and never even experienced a property crime of any kind. And I've often roamed the streets after 2 a.m.! (especially back when some clubs stayed open 24 hours).

Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM

46 posts, read 204,578 times
It's just the area you live in, although that is important. Behavior matters, too. Someone mentioned not walking late a night in the city. Also, try to avoid walking alone in unknown places. Don't linger at your car fiddling with stuff. Even in the suburbs, that sort of behavior can make you a target.

Regardless, take precautions but don't let fear rule your life.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
If you don't mind my asking, what cities are at the top of your list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
I'm considering a move to Atlanta, among several other cities, but am really scared of all the crime I've heard about. This fact alone has pretty much put Atlanta at the bottom of my list even though I really like almost everything else I've heard. Safety is definitely my #1 priority for where I move. Any thoughts?

Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 AM

114 posts, read 350,288 times
Well my list has dwindled a bit since I first posted this. I'm also considering Indianapolis, Columbus OH, maybe Cincinnati, Nashville, and maybe Chicago. Comparisons with any of these are welcome--especially Chicago which is probably just as bad/worse as far as crime? I haven't been to Chicago (which I would obviously do before moving there), but my job situation may lead to me looking there.
I feel like I've gotten mixed messages about Atlanta. The posts on this thread seem to say that if you stay in a good neighborhood and are smart, it's fine. Other things I've read on this forum seem to suggest that crime is just rampant and that walking alone during the day is probably not very safe. I mean, is it worse than NYC or LA? I appreciate all the comments

Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
As opposed to violent crimes happening to people who deserve it?

You can easily check the FBI crime statistics for any city that you're interested in...Atlanta's violent crime rate has decreased for several years in a row. There has been a lot of media hype recently over some high profile crimes, which has created the false perception of rampant crime in the city. Atlanta is a big city and there is big-city crime, but your chances of being a victim are very, very slim.
Odd that you pretend to not know the difference between a 2 pm car-jacking of an old lady in a church parking lot and a 2am felony among criminally dedicated inner city thugs. Ascribing 'deserved' to the post is your editorial and not even suggested by the author. You may have meant it mockingly but you were correct.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
you do need to use common sense and not do things like leave your doors unlocked or leave your GPS lying around in your car in plain sight.
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who leave purses, laptops, iPods, GPS, phones, etc. in plain view in their car and are shocked when someone breaks the window. They actually had a piece on the TV news showing a Dunwoody cop at Perimeter Mall putting flyers on people's windshields reminding them to lock their doors and not leave valuables in their vehicles. Do we need to tell people this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta