Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree somewhat. Centennial Park has CNN Center, World of Coke, Children's museum and the Aquarium already as anchors. Granted no water for a boat ride but thats not changing. And there are plenty of restaurants, hotels and condos in the area too. We know for sure the area will be adding the college football HOF, National Health Museum and the civil rights museum. Thats quite a staple of venues to build around. Add in a park with free concerts and other events and it sounds pretty good. And perhaps Legoland as well. All within walking distance of NBA, NHL, NFL and WNBA games.

By its mere location it will get much more traffic then Chatanooga as well. I am not bad mouthing Chatanooga just pointing out that I believe the Centennial Park area is turning into something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Dollar-for-dollar, many people who have been to both however do say they enjoy the Tennessee Aquarium more, though. Including myself. I do think that everyone should visit the GA. Aquarium at least once for the experience, but the TN. Aquarium is more interactive, with some natural habitat-like features inside, allowing you to get up closer to many of the exhibits without having to push through the crowds. They also have the advantage of being in a nice entertainment district right on the river. You can walk the area without bums asking you for money, eat out, visit their Aquarium, and then walk a block and ride a river boat down the river. The Centennial Park area is going to have to build up quite a few more attractions in order to be able to match that (plus crack down on panhandling in the surrounding area).

I welcome the Lego and Pirate museums downtown, and the Civil Rights Museum (though I wonder if it will be all-inclusive in it's representation). I still think it would have been worth the money if they had figured out a way to build an artificial river down there though (it was once discussed years ago), similar to a mini "River Walk" type of thing. Being able to float around on boats even in a smaller area is a draw to people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
By its mere location it will get much more traffic then Chatanooga as well. I am not bad mouthing Chatanooga just pointing out that I believe the Centennial Park area is turning into something special.
Agreed on "turning into" - as it evolves, it will if done right, actually become a tourist destination and not necessarily just a collection of places to visit "if you happen to be in Atlanta".

Aside from the fact that people do sometimes plan a trip here JUST to go to the Aquarium, many people visit the other venues around there when they "happen to be in town". Once that area is saturated with a large variety of attractions, it may well have enough going for it that people will specifically plan a vacation here to spend the time in that area to visit everything.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Dollar-for-dollar, many people who have been to both however do say they enjoy the Tennessee Aquarium more, though. Including myself. I do think that everyone should visit the GA. Aquarium at least once for the experience, but the TN. Aquarium is more interactive, with some natural habitat-like features inside, allowing you to get up closer to many of the exhibits without having to push through the crowds. They also have the advantage of being in a nice entertainment district right on the river. You can walk the area without bums asking you for money, eat out, visit their Aquarium, and then walk a block and ride a river boat down the river. The Centennial Park area is going to have to build up quite a few more attractions in order to be able to match that (plus crack down on panhandling in the surrounding area).

I welcome the Lego and Pirate museums downtown, and the Civil Rights Museum (though I wonder if it will be all-inclusive in it's representation). I still think it would have been worth the money if they had figured out a way to build an artificial river down there though (it was once discussed years ago), similar to a mini "River Walk" type of thing. Being able to float around on boats even in a smaller area is a draw to people.
Personally once or twice a year is more than enough for me.As far as which one do people enjoy is subjective.I always here positive things about both.The negative for the Georgia Aquarium is cost but for the Tennessee Aquarium is more of a regional attraction.One that size and content is very pertinent to the region.It is more intimate.

However i think you are incorrect about the area it is in.There is PLENTY of things to do already.CNN.The Museam of Patriotism,Centennial Olympic Park,Coca-Cola,The Childrens Museum,Underground(okay stretching,but some people like it.I mean a ghetto girl with red hair and gold teeth is an attraction for someone coming from Sweden.LOL),the Dome,Phillips Arena,the great restaurants.River or not,I think it already is a nice destination.When those other projects are complete,that will just push it over the top.

As far as pan handling goes its not a major deterrent for people traveling.At least not on an international level.I was in Frankfurt,and San Francisco not to long ago.Talk about panhandling!!OMG!!It was like swatting flies.Overseas its much worse.They pick your pockets!!You rarely here of anything like that in the states.In my opinion,Atlanta is not anywhere NEAR the worst when it comes to this.It is an annoyance,but you kinda expect it in a large city.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,854 times
Details ? Updates?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
I agree with the idea that it should be around Centennial Park. Nearby is the children's museum, and both of those would play off each other, as well as the World of Coke and the Aquarium.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I have to disagree somewhat. Centennial Park has CNN Center, World of Coke, Children's museum and the Aquarium already as anchors. Granted no water for a boat ride but thats not changing. And there are plenty of restaurants, hotels and condos in the area too. We know for sure the area will be adding the college football HOF, National Health Museum and the civil rights museum. Thats quite a staple of venues to build around. Add in a park with free concerts and other events and it sounds pretty good. And perhaps Legoland as well. All within walking distance of NBA, NHL, NFL and WNBA games.

I think he was mostly just talking about his personal taste for liking the Chattanooga aquarium itself more.

I also have to say he brings up an important point here. I think it is to expensive and unrealistic to build an artificial river/river front, but what are we doing/what can we do to get some of the effects of one? River fronts are often well landscaped, attractive areas that encourage people to walk to other areas from the major attraction center.

We have Centennial Park, which helps. However part of me feels like we eventually need to do something to encourage pedestrian, visitor, convention traffic eastward through downtown to encourage more people to walk around more. Perhaps a pedestrian only greenway along Simpson St. to Hardy Ivy Park that could encourage smaller shops/eateries, provide more attractive connectivity to the Civic Center station and the major convention hotels. (Atlanta, ga - Google Maps)

I also think we need a more attractive walkable path from Centennial Park into the first block or two of the Fairlie Poplar District. It is really a nice area with alot of character and public art, but the backside of it is fairly unattractive and most of the first block is asphalt parking. We need to build the infrastructure in a way that says... come through here... We have a nice town...this way. (Atlanta, ga - Google Maps)

Last edited by cwkimbro; 02-08-2011 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Typos :(

Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I think he was mostly just talking about his personal taste for liking the Chattanooga aquarium itself more.

I also have to say he brings up an important point here. I think it is to expensive and unrealistic to build an artificial river/river front, but what are we doing/what can we do to get some of the effects of one? River fronts are often well landscaped, attractive areas that encourage people to walk to other areas from the major attraction center.

We have Centennial Park, which helps. However part of me feels like we eventually need to do something to encourage pedestrian, visitor, convention traffic eastward through downtown to encourage more people to walk around more. Perhaps a pedestrian only greenway along Simpson St. to Hardy Ivy Park that could encourage smaller shops/eateries, provide more attractive connectivity to the Civic Center station and the major convention hotels. (Atlanta, ga - Google Maps)

I also think we need a more attractive walkable path from Centennial Park into the first block or two of the Poplar Farley District. It is really a nice area with alot of character and public art, but the backside of it is fairly unattractive and most of the first block is asphalt parking. We need to build the infrastructure in a way that says... come through here... We have a nice town...this way. (Atlanta, ga - Google Maps)

Fairlie-Poplar District.

Fairlie-Poplar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

I also think we need a more attractive walkable path from Centennial Park into the first block or two of the Fairlie Poplar District. It is really a nice area with alot of character and public art, but the backside of it is fairly unattractive and most of the first block is asphalt parking. We need to build the infrastructure in a way that says... come through here... We have a nice town...this way. (Atlanta, ga - Google Maps)
It's annoying how many parking lots there are on that side of the park. The city should focus on getting those developed. One could go to Legoland and another to the National Health Museum. Hopefully demand for that land will encourage the Tabernacle build a parking garage on one of their lots and sell the rest.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,430 times
How big is this Legoland? I have been to the one at Mall of America and it was certainly not destination worthy. However, it you plant by the other kid friendly places such as Aquarium or Children's Museum they will feed off of each other. Put a kid magnet restaurant (such as Ed Debevics or Ellen's Starlight Diner) to draw families in. Maybe offer entertainment (like balloon makers, mimes, living statues) to keep crowds entertained.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM

957 posts, read 3,357,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
How big is this Legoland? I have been to the one at Mall of America and it was certainly not destination worthy. However, it you plant by the other kid friendly places such as Aquarium or Children's Museum they will feed off of each other. Put a kid magnet restaurant (such as Ed Debevics or Ellen's Starlight Diner) to draw families in. Maybe offer entertainment (like balloon makers, mimes, living statues) to keep crowds entertained.
I hope that it is as big as the one in Carlsbad! Forget the kids... I love Legoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta