Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

I can't tell you how excited I am about this.

Wiil it be set up so that I can drop the grandkids off and then go have a couple of Lego brewskis and a Lego-burger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM

167 posts, read 769,572 times
The Lego Store at Discover Mills gets a lot of business. Wish the new store was coming to Gwinnett.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can't tell you how excited I am about this.

Wiil it be set up so that I can drop the grandkids off and then go have a couple of Lego brewskis and a Lego-burger?
I'm really excited about this as well. My son is really into making lego stop animation videos. Legoland will be a huge inspiration for him. And mom could stand a beer and burger so let's hope that's in the game plan

Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj73 View Post
The Lego Store at Discover Mills gets a lot of business. Wish the new store was coming to Gwinnett.
Except for the Oct 2009 articles I cannot find any recent news that Legoland has chosen a site in Atlanta.

Legoland To Call Atlanta Home (http://www.atlantagatoday.com/pmcparland/category/atlanta-blog/legoland-seaching-for-site-in-atlanta - broken link).

'opening Spring 2011'--It seems like there would be headline news if Legoland was preparing for a grand opening?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM

248 posts, read 648,999 times
It doesn't say when the info was updated, but the Merlin Entertainment (builders of LegoLand) site mentions opening the attraction in Atlanta within the next eighteen months:
Merlin Entertainments, leading name in location based, family entertainment - What We Do

So maybe it's been pushed back because they haven't secured a site.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
It doesn't say when the info was updated, but the Merlin Entertainment (builders of LegoLand) site mentions opening the attraction in Atlanta within the next eighteen months:
Merlin Entertainments, leading name in location based, family entertainment - What We Do

So maybe it's been pushed back because they haven't secured a site.
'Merlin's newest attraction concept first opened in Britain in 2007. Since then more have opened in Germany, Chicago and Manchester, with plans for Dallas, Atlanta and Kansas in the next 18 months. An indoor City Centre attraction, LEGOLAND Discovery Centre takes visitors on a journey through a colorful and creative LEGO world where interaction, family fun and learning go hand in hand.'

So, from Oct '09 to date -- a site for Legoland hasn't been chosen in Atlanta?

I can only assume '18 months' is an optimistic estimate of time for an opening.

I hope they eventually choose to follow through.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM

248 posts, read 648,999 times
The LegoLand in Dallas that they mention alongside the Atlanta one on the website actually opens next month. Lucky them.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,489 times
Recent Merlin press release mentions Atlanta location to be the third US Legoland Discovery Center Spring of 2012. If I remember they were originally scouting 4 areas of Atlanta: Midtown, Buckhead, Alpharetta, and near Olympic Park.

I believe Northpoint Mall vacant Lord & Taylor / Parisian was eyed in Alpharetta, but that is out since the L&T is becoming a 140,000 square foot Von Maur. Never heard anything specific on the midtown location, but there isn't alot of good locations in my opinion. Buckhead location was the old ESPN Zone I believe. My guess is the Harris street/cetennial olympic park drive location was the last location. Considering the location was tied up for 2 years as one of the final possible college football hall of fame location it would explain why the project went dormant for a long time, however there is no way it could be open by spring 2012 if that location is the choice. If spring 2012 is really the project opening the old ESPN Zone might be the only location which could be change in time, but I would prefer the harris street location.

[url=http://www.merlinentertainments.biz/en/press/merlinentertainmentstoopensealifecenteraquarium090 211.aspx]Merlin Entertainments, leading name in location based, family entertainment - MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS TO OPEN SEA LIFE CENTER AQUARIUM 090211[/url]

Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjauburn View Post
Recent Merlin press release mentions Atlanta location to be the third US Legoland Discovery Center Spring of 2012. If I remember they were originally scouting 4 areas of Atlanta: Midtown, Buckhead, Alpharetta, and near Olympic Park.

I believe Northpoint Mall vacant Lord & Taylor / Parisian was eyed in Alpharetta, but that is out since the L&T is becoming a 140,000 square foot Von Maur. Never heard anything specific on the midtown location, but there isn't alot of good locations in my opinion. Buckhead location was the old ESPN Zone I believe. My guess is the Harris street/cetennial olympic park drive location was the last location. Considering the location was tied up for 2 years as one of the final possible college football hall of fame location it would explain why the project went dormant for a long time, however there is no way it could be open by spring 2012 if that location is the choice. If spring 2012 is really the project opening the old ESPN Zone might be the only location which could be change in time, but I would prefer the harris street location.

Merlin Entertainments, leading name in location based, family entertainment - MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS TO OPEN SEA LIFE CENTER AQUARIUM 090211
Thanks--that makes more sense. Somewhere in the thread someone thought a downtown location might work well with the tourists visiting the aquarium and other downtown attractions--I tend to agree. Not that my opinion will matter much. If 'They' ever agree on what should be done with 5 Points and/or Underground it seems like this would be beneficial to tourism. Get some money flowing again. Fingers crossed.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjauburn View Post

Merlin Entertainments, leading name in location based, family entertainment - MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS TO OPEN SEA LIFE CENTER AQUARIUM 090211
Thanks for the info. I think by Midtown they meant Atlantic Station. I'm kind of torn between Olympic Park area and Atlantic Station. I'm not sure the old ESPN Zone in Buckhead would be a good spot. I always wondered why a Dave and Buster's never opened in the old ESPN...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta