Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times

Advertisements

Well this league will be folded pretty soon.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
On that note it would seem that their all white league is certainly in order and justified.
No it isn't. There are plenty of White (and asian and latino people) that go to HBCUs. HBCUs just have a majority Black student body....just like how Brigham Young (Historically Mormon university) has a majority of white students and Yeshiva (Historically Jewish University) has a majority Jewish student body. Anyone can attend these schools.

This stupid league is specifically barring anyone who isn't White on both sides and a natural born American citizen. Show my one HBCU that does the inverse.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No it isn't. There are plenty of White (and asian and latino people) that go to HBCUs. HBCUs just have a majority Black student body....just like how Brigham Young (Historically Mormon university) has a majority of white students and Yeshiva (Historically Jewish University) has a majority Jewish student body. Anyone can attend these schools.

This stupid league is specially barring anyone who isn't White one both sides and a natural born American citizen. Show my one HBCU that does the inverse.
It's not something we should even be talking about occurring in 2010. Just when you think we've come further than this...

Old 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's not something we should even be talking about occurring in 2010. Just when you think we've come further than this...
I totally agree.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GALiberal View Post
You're uninformed.

"The Hall of Fame will honor the greatest football players and coaches at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). "

Atlanta gets Black College Football Hall of Fame - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

The terms "Black College" and HBCU are pretty much interchangeable. You should exit before you make yourself look even more ignorant.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

This stupid league is specifically barring anyone who isn't White on both sides and a natural born American citizen. Show my one HBCU that does the inverse.

Amen.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Sure...because white people have been persecuted and enslaved in the U.S. and should receive recognition because of it?

The NBA is open to anyone with the skills and talent required to compete in it. So are several other lesser professional, semi-professional, and amateur basketball leagues. There is no need to make something of this nature race-exclusive.
Read my whole text and the text of my other post. They are making a very valid statement. As far as "no need to make something of this nature race-exclusive" I'd like to see the NAACP take up one of my causes. I don't see Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton going to bat for the white female officer where I work who is dealing with a serious sexual discrimination issue. Your failing miserably if your trying to imply that it's wrong to enage in any all-white endeavor. Especially in this day and age of the entitlement mentallity

Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Awesome. I actually have a shot at playing ball again. Doesn't matter if I got no hops.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Read my whole text and the text of my other post. They are making a very valid statement. As far as "no need to make something of this nature race-exclusive" I'd like to see the NAACP take up one of my causes. I don't see Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton going to bat for the white female officer where I work who is dealing with a serious sexual discrimination issue. Your failing miserably if your trying to imply that it's wrong to enage in any all-white endeavor. Especially in this day and age of the entitlement mentallity
Legally speaking, there is no law barring people who want to take part in a "all-White endeavor". Last time I checked, people were still free to be members of the KKK or Aryan Nation.

The difference is that when talking about a professional organization, barring other people based on race is wrong AND illegal. There are plenty of White players in the NBA and they aren't at all disadvantaged from joining the league if they have the skills.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
That's because, as I said before, white people in the U.S. don't have a history of being persecuted simply because they are white. There is no need for anyone to take up your cause because because it's an isolated incident and not a commonly occurring one. All-white endeavors (like voting, getting an education, etc) were the norm for many years in our society. Only through the actions of organizations like the NAACP and individuals like the ones you mentioned (and many others) did anything change.

If the person you brought up was being discriminated against because she is a woman, then she has plenty of backup to support her. Gender discrimination was and is rampant in the U.S. and the world.

Until recently, it's pretty much been a white man's world. Things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta