Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 34,427 times

Advertisements

I am looking to enroll my son in a school thats primarily all black males. He is age 14 and in the 9th grade. I would love for him to be around strong black male role model teachers and teenagers his age that are really trying to succeed. Thanks

Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,989 times
I'm sure there are private schools that would fit your criteria but most of those would be religiously affialiated which is about as close as your going to get with predominately Black. However...

There is a new academy that is public in the City of Atlanta school district with a majority African-American population that I heard is doing really well. It's actually a charter school that opened up in 2007 but only to 6th graders for now but they plan to go 6-12 as they add a new class per year.

The BEST Academy
BEST Academy (http://srt4.atlantapublicschools.us/best/site/default.asp - broken link)

WELCOME to the B.E.S.T. Academy at Benjamin S. Carson. We are bringing back PRIDE by offering a radical transformation of the middle school as it has been known! The B.E.S.T. Academy, in partnership with the 100 Black Men of Atlanta , Morehouse College and others are striving to cultivate the academic, social and emotional growth of each student. The B.E.S.T. Academy, a single gender academy for boys, opened its doors in August 2007 to students in the 6th grade. To develop globally competitive students and future leaders, the B.E.S.T. Academy strives to provide a rigorous college preparatory curriculum utilizing gender based strategies in a safe and nurturing learning environment. Our mission is to prepare our students to enter into a 4-year institution of higher learning as they transform into the B.E.S.T. Men

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 AM

199 posts, read 627,627 times
no comment!!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM

123 posts, read 380,389 times
I never heard of an all boys school but I heard South West Atlanta Christian Academy is really good.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:27 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,320 times
This post is so dayum racist it's not even funny! Moderators please close this thread!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
This post is so dayum racist it's not even funny! Moderators please close this thread!
We'll decide if it's racist or not, however, folks should realize that if we do allow threads like this, then we will also allow threads that ask for all White, all Jewish, all Latino, all..XX schools as well. Just so long as folks don't have a problem with any of the other combinations that are possible, then I have no problem allowing a thread like this as it was worded.

So - back to the topic only, please. Please answer the OP's question if you know an answer folks, otherwise, please do not turn this into something it doesn't need to be. Thank you.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkanatural View Post
I am looking to enroll my son in a school thats primarily all black males. He is age 14 and in the 9th grade. I would love for him to be around strong black male role model teachers and teenagers his age that are really trying to succeed. Thanks
Your not going to find a black Private All Boys Schools at least not one that was intended to be such, but became that way due to the pattern of attendance. With saying that you might be looking for a majority African-American Private All Boys School, is that what you mean? You stated your reasons and they appear to be cultural that you want your son to be around positive black male role models so you're looking for a large population of progressing African-Americans not a absence of diversity. You got to make that clear because people will take your post out of context if you word it wrong!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM

625 posts, read 1,148,851 times
I don't think it's hard to find a "primarily" black school in this area, but it won't be private. In fact you won't find many institutions at all primarily with African Americans that aren't government controlled. That's a fact folks... I hardly ever see a white person working at the post office, even in Cobb County!!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
What about the Ron Clark Academy? Not all of the teachers are black, but they do amazing things there.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What about the Ron Clark Academy? Not all of the teachers are black, but they do amazing things there.

That's a late elementary/middle school prep school.

He is too old....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta