Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM

27 posts, read 77,911 times

Advertisements

I live very near 5 Points in Athens right now and will probably be moving to Atlanta over the summer. Is there anywhere like 5 Points in the Atlanta area? (for those who dont know, 5 Points is this nice area with a couple restaurants, couple coffee shops, grocery store, pharmacy, one bar, one wine bar, etc... dont really have to drive anywhere for anything).

I may be working near Vinings which Ive been told is nice but never been there. Been told Virginia Highlands is nice but could be a far drive if I end up working where I think i will.

Also, Im in my late 20s and would like to be around people similar to that age.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,203 times
You would probably like either Virginia-Highland, Candler Park/Little 5 Points, or the City of Decatur (30030), which is basically a small college town (Emory, Agnes Scott) just east of Downtown Atlanta (and also very near Virginia-Highland), but since they're both on the opposite side of town from Vinings, they're not going to be a convenient commute. Maybe Vinings itself might work? There are some shopping areas there. It's not going to have the same pedestrian friendly vibe as Va-Hi or Decatur, but it might do and would be incredibly convenient.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 AM

30 posts, read 77,547 times
Atlantic Station area might work as well - right off of 75 - and a relatively easy commute up. Or Midtown/gatech area.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
You could stay right in Vinings-

Vinings Jubilee, Atlanta : Shopping & Dining, heart of Vinings Village

And Cumberland Mall is less than 5mi.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,754 times
If youre looking for an area with a lot of 20-somethings, I dont think youd be satisfied woth Vinings. It isnt known for its young-professional-singles scene.

I would stay away from Atlantic Station. It feels more like an outdoor mall and is nothing like 5 points. Midtown is walkable but its a high-rise district, so it may not be what youre looking for.

Little 5 Points and Decatur are more similar to 5 Points, but the crowd is more similar to the "townie" or "hipster" bar strip in downtown Athens off Washington St. (around the 40 Watt).

VA Highland is the most similar to 5 points, especially in terms of appearance, walkability, and type of people. The bars there are mostly people in thier late-20s. The commute to Vinings wont be that bad - youll be going against the traffic and youre staying inside the perimeter. Id say probably no more than 25 minutes.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
If youre looking for an area with a lot of 20-somethings, I dont think youd be satisfied woth Vinings. It isnt known for its young-professional-singles scene.
Really? I was under the impression that many (most?) of the apartment/condo complexes and eateries/pubs/stores in Vinings Jubilee, etc., were mostly targeted at young professionals?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,822 times
^There is a mix of people in vinings. The neighborhoods off of paces ferry heading south toward fulton county are filled with older people, but areas north of paces ferry/paces mill are where you have more condos/apts will the younger crowd. If you were to head over to Vinings Jubilee and surrounding shops on a friday evenings/saturday you will see a ton of late twenties thirty ish looking crowd mixed in with baby boomers etc. During the day mid-week older crowd, b/c the twenty/thirty somethings are at work!..lol To answer the OP's question, I would agree with IntownHomes and BBC(mark the date..lol) about Decatur and Va-Hi, more so Va-Hi in appearance. Decatur(downtown decatur that is) is a bigger area and just as walkable with more shops than 5 points.

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 03-25-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM

27 posts, read 77,911 times
Ok cool thanks for the responses. I definitely like the college town feel and if Decatur has that, maybe thats the place for me. I have a friend that went to Agnes Scott that loves the area, but she thinks I may be a tad too conservative for it.

At the end of the day Id just like some cool places to hang out, places that are walkable, and a fair amount of single girls in their mid-20s.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaguy View Post
Ok cool thanks for the responses. I definitely like the college town feel and if Decatur has that, maybe thats the place for me. I have a friend that went to Agnes Scott that loves the area, but she thinks I may be a tad too conservative for it.

At the end of the day Id just like some cool places to hang out, places that are walkable, and a fair amount of single girls in their mid-20s.
Have you checked out West Midtown? My (hipster) daughter and her buds think that's the Next New Thing.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,203 times
Just for more detail, much of the east/intown part of Atlanta is very much influenced by Emory University and has a vibe very similar to Athens as a whole. This also tends to be a very liberal part of town while the more suburban areas tend to be much more conservative.

There are relatively few very pedestrian-friendly areas in Atlanta (i.e., places where you can walk to a variety of shops, restaurants, parks, and MARTA rail). But there are several in this "Greater Emory" area including: Virginia-Highland (can't walk to MARTA but they do have buses to nearby stations), Candler Park/Little 5 Points, and City of Decatur (there are some others but these are the "biggies"). Of these, to me, the City of Decatur feels the most like Athens 5 Points, although I am not a 20-something man and haven't lived in Athens for about 15 years, so you'd need to figure out for yourself which has the most appealing demographic and the mix of businesses you'd most be interested in patronizing.

One difference between the Emory area and the "hipster" Midtown West area is the actual physical look of the place. The east side looks and feels very much like Athens -- tree-lined streets, charming homes, etc. The Westside is extremely industrial (and to my eye so unattractive it literally makes me stressed out to be there). However, if the look of the place doesn't bother you, it may well have the right mix of amenities, etc. that you're looking for and would be much more convenient to a job on the west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta