Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times

Advertisements

Agree with Midtown. I'd also check out Atlantic Station and even Midtown West, a newer revitalized area all around Marietta Street. Lots of lofts. Forget Five Points. It's pretty bad. Sorry about the other post. Was thinking Little Five Points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 09:23 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
I really like West Midtown but you really need to drive to get anywhere. I'm sure there are buses that run there but there is very little shopping. Atlantic Station is a good bet also, lots of shopping.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 PM

218 posts, read 1,189,194 times
Yes, Five Points, the heart of downtown, busy Georgia State students (I used to be one BACK in the day. Plenty of panhandlers, and I even think there is a lady with a long black skirt and white blouse damning everyone around her to hell (she used to do that when I was going there)? I don't know, the best thing about Five Points is going THROUGH it. Little Five Points is farther east near Moreland; the mini-mall someone spoke of (Underground Atlanta) is in Five Points, not Little Five Points. I like the eclectic feel of Little Five Points (which is near Moreland Avenue) and would prefer that anyday over Five Points.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Midtown is very accessible to Tech and provides more of the daily amenities (such as a grocery store) and has more nightlife then downtown. Just another option to think about. The Tech Trolley does a loop up to the Midtown Marta Station.
The problem is the Tech Trolley does not turn on to Marietta so I would have to walk from Ponders Ave and Regents Dr to my office and back every day and Google opines that it is almost a half a mile each way and I don't know how easy it is to cross Tech Parkway.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. They have certainly given me pause. I suppose those apts were cheap for a reason.

Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to drive.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:44 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
It will be a good idea to drive here anyway, because you'll want to explore other parts of GA once you arrive! I'm sure some posters can give good recs on teachers too. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
The problem is the Tech Trolley does not turn on to Marietta so I would have to walk from Ponders Ave and Regents Dr to my office and back every day and Google opines that it is almost a half a mile each way and I don't know how easy it is to cross Tech Parkway.
Tech Parkway is very easy to cross. It is more of a parking lot and access drive to the campus then a arterial. There is parking all along the street which slows people down, some use it to get from North Ave to campus but there is much more traffic on Marietta st. then Tech Parkway. The school is actually thinking of redoing it because it isn't used the way that it is designed. However, if your job is farther down Marietta (away from Regents Dr. then it could turn into a bit of a walk). The only crossings across Tech Parkway are at Regents and North and you regularly see jay walkers crossing with ease at random places along the corridor. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 79,785 times
Default consider castleberry hill

I would not condemn all of downtown because of 5 points. Lots of GA State students live down there just fine. Now, I agreee, that one area, next to the McDonalds around 20 Marietta St., and close to the 5 points Marta, where all of the people hang out, that would not be my first choice. However, a little farther north in the "Farlie-Poplar" neighborhood (about 5 blocks downtown), you might find a loft for rent.

Also, consider Castleberry Hill. There are plenty of lofts for rent there. It is a little farther south, but still downtown, and closer to the Garnett Marta station. You could take Marta to 10th st. and then get on the tech trolley from there. It is considered the art gallery district in atlanta.

Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceverett2000 View Post
Also, consider Castleberry Hill. There are plenty of lofts for rent there. It is a little farther south, but still downtown, and closer to the Garnett Marta station. You could take Marta to 10th st. and then get on the tech trolley from there. It is considered the art gallery district in atlanta.

Good Luck!
Co-Sign on Castleberry Hill. Groceries and such aren't far...there's a Publix nearby in the Atlanta University Center (AUC) as well as quality restaurants nearby (Paschal's, for one)

Old 06-14-2007, 08:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I don't know how dangerous Five Points is, but it has a real scummy feel to it, particularly around the MARTA station. I wouldn't want to live there. I work near Five Points, but I never go over there unless I have to. Too much loitering going on and too many loud-mouthed "GOD'S GONNA CUT YOU DOWN" types.

As for danger in any area, it seems that the latest trend in mugging is to demand money and then stab or shoot you, often before you've even handed over your cash. This has been happening a lot lately:

Recently in Little 5 Points, the victim was shot in the head before handing over any money and died after being in the hospital for a while.

A month ago on Monroe and Ponce a guy was stabbed while walking next to a gas station. He lived despite the gas station attendant not calling 911, nor allowing him to use the phone so he could call 911.

Just this morning someone was shot on Monroe and Amsterdam and is in critical condition).

Be careful wherever you go.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceverett2000 View Post
I would not condemn all of downtown because of 5 points. Lots of GA State students live down there just fine. Now, I agreee, that one area, next to the McDonalds around 20 Marietta St., and close to the 5 points Marta, where all of the people hang out, that would not be my first choice. However, a little farther north in the "Farlie-Poplar" neighborhood (about 5 blocks downtown), you might find a loft for rent.

Good Luck!

Technically, Fairlie-Poplar's border is Marietta Street, so that McDonald's is right on the edge. I agree, that's (and the front of the MARTA staion on P'tree) ground zero for shifty derelicts in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta