Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:21 PM

82 posts, read 167,591 times

Advertisements

African-Americans need to travel and reseach more to determine what cities or areas that are best for them. One can find progressive blacks in many large cities. Atlanta offen is mentioned as a standout because of many African-Americans [ including immigrant blacks from Africa, the Caribbean and Europe ] moving there. Im from Chicago but have live in Atlanta for the last 25 years. I've seen changes in both places. In Chicago many prominant Blacks have fanned out all across the suburban areas to establish one of the largest afflent population of America. People come to the inner city of Chicago an see some run down housing on the south and westside and think that blacks dont have
nieghborhoods like what you can find in Atlanta. Have they been to Olympia Fields, Flossmoor, Crete, Country Club Hills, or even Naperville. These are only a few of at least 40 more suburbs around Chicago where one can find progressive blacks.

A lot of what people say about Atlanta is base on bourgeious notions of false uppity negros having it made. In reality Atlanta ranked 9th in terms of poverty among allthe urban areas. Crime is as high as any urban area in the North. Unemployment is high, and there still is racism especially in the job market and if blacks move into all white areas they began to move out when blacks move in. A case point is Stone Mountain an area that was 95% white in the early 1980's. Today in 2010 it's about 80% black. Or take Clayton county which had few blacks in the 1970's have few whites today.

Many African-Americans are moving into the suburban areas of most large cities. Generally this is where the best new housing going up, better schools , lower crimes and more racial diversity or tolerance. Progressive African-Americans can be found in Such urban areas like Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas , Washington D.C. Charlotte-etc. Blacks need to read and study. I find so many think for example that Denver, Colo. is all white. Denver has a very large black population. I've seen African-Americans living in beautiful homes and neighborhoods in Denver. The same in Fort Lauder-
dale, Las vegas, St.Louis, in the San Francisco bay area, and in mauy other urban areas. But if you read EBony, Essence or Jet magazine you will fall into the mindset and go to Atlanta. In fact many cities have been rated better than Atlanta, even in the South. In recent years Charlotte , Nashville, and Raleigh,N.C. have been selected as cities of African-American opportunity. Houston was rated at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
African-Americans need to travel and reseach more to determine what cities or areas that are best for them. One can find progressive blacks in many large cities. Atlanta offen is mentioned as a standout because of many African-Americans [ including immigrant blacks from Africa, the Caribbean and Europe ] moving there. Im from Chicago but have live in Atlanta for the last 25 years. I've seen changes in both places. In Chicago many prominant Blacks have fanned out all across the suburban areas to establish one of the largest afflent population of America. People come to the inner city of Chicago an see some run down housing on the south and westside and think that blacks dont have
nieghborhoods like what you can find in Atlanta. Have they been to Olympia Fields, Flossmoor, Crete, Country Club Hills, or even Naperville. These are only a few of at least 40 more suburbs around Chicago where one can find progressive blacks.

A lot of what people say about Atlanta is base on bourgeious notions of false uppity negros having it made. In reality Atlanta ranked 9th in terms of poverty among allthe urban areas. Crime is as high as any urban area in the North. Unemployment is high, and there still is racism especially in the job market and if blacks move into all white areas they began to move out when blacks move in. A case point is Stone Mountain an area that was 95% white in the early 1980's. Today in 2010 it's about 80% black. Or take Clayton county which had few blacks in the 1970's have few whites today.

Many African-Americans are moving into the suburban areas of most large cities. Generally this is where the best new housing going up, better schools , lower crimes and more racial diversity or tolerance. Progressive African-Americans can be found in Such urban areas like Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas , Washington D.C. Charlotte-etc. Blacks need to read and study. I find so many think for example that Denver, Colo. is all white. Denver has a very large black population. I've seen African-Americans living in beautiful homes and neighborhoods in Denver. The same in Fort Lauder-
dale, Las vegas, St.Louis, in the San Francisco bay area, and in mauy other urban areas. But if you read EBony, Essence or Jet magazine you will fall into the mindset and go to Atlanta. In fact many cities have been rated better than Atlanta, even in the South. In recent years Charlotte , Nashville, and Raleigh,N.C. have been selected as cities of African-American opportunity. Houston was rated at the top.
I know that real!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:53 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times
If blacks wanna live in Atlanta let them.. If these blacks wanted to live in Houston charlotte etc they would be there.. Unfortunately they like Atlanta its a notable city for blacks and the history. Shows that.. Im black and please tell me why i would drop my job all my resources because some magazine said Houston top city for blacks to relocate..

Old 11-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Unfortunately, blacks are doing that to go to Atlanta, so what's your point?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Unfortunately, blacks are doing that to go to Atlanta, so what's your point?

Im not concerned about what other blacks Are doing Im speaking on myself and what Im not going to do. I love Atlanta and this may be my home for a long time. Now I know you hate the fact that Atlanta is always in the limelight on this topic. Its okay it is what it is.. We all know how you all of a sudden became a ride or die texas fan... I have no problem with the Texas cities but there just not my cup of tea ...

Old 11-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Let Atlanta have its limelight. It ain't benefitting me. Why should I care if it's in the spotlight or not? I'm just one in a few blacks that know Atlanta isn't the only place where blacks can be successful.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Let Atlanta have its limelight. It ain't benefitting me. Why should I care if it's in the spotlight or not? I'm just one in a few blacks that know Atlanta isn't the only place where blacks can be successful.

Everytime this topic comes up people say that Atlanta isnt the only place blacks can be successful We all know that ( DUH). The reason why is always brought up that way is because its more notable place where african americans have succeded thru history. same with Detroit, DC, and Chicago.. Blacks are spread all thru this Country some places are just more populated with them than others.. A&M bulldawg you have had this discussion before with other threads havent you learned anything from previous ones..

Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:

You obviously DO care, very much. You have proven countless times that Atlanta is a huge thorn in your side, in several different ways.

Every time this topic comes up, you always repeat the same things over and over.

There is no concerted effort on Atlanta's behalf that is repsonsible for this situation, yet you act like it is some sort of City-funded agenda. Deal with it.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You obviously DO care, very much. You have proven countless times that Atlanta is a huge thorn in your side, in several different ways.

Every time this topic comes up, you always repeat the same things over and over.

There is no concerted effort on Atlanta's behalf that is repsonsible for this situation, yet you act like it is some sort of City-funded agenda. Deal with it.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
I find so many think for example that Denver, Colo. is all white. Denver has a very large black population.
While much of what you say has validity, this statement does not. According to the latest stats, Denver is over 75% White (this includes Hispanics that are racially White) and less than 10% Black. Taking the whole metro area into account, the Black population dips to under 6%. With that in mind, I don't think that the sentiment that Denver is overwhelmingly White is unfounded. Of course, this isn't to say that there aren't any Blacks there or that Blacks shouldn't move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta