Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 59,132 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any comments on Emory Uni - we are moving to GA soon from CT and would like our daughter to go there rather than Boston College or Uni (its nearer!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 04:22 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Emory is a great school. Unfortunately it is full of a bunch of rich kids who don't really know the meaning of money. Your kid should get a great education there especially if they are going into the arts or medicine (I know there are other areas which Emory specializes in, I just don't know what they are). Your kid will also be surrounded by a bunch of spoiled rich kids. Of course any private U that you send your kid is going to be filled with spoiled rich kids IMHO.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 PM

148 posts, read 951,385 times
I agree with the previous post.

Emory is a great school, and it has a beautiful campus. Many students do come from affluent families.

The percentage of Jewish students is surprising, since Emory's roots are Christian.
Unfortunately, very few blacks can afford the price tag.

Being gay or lesbian is a non-issue, as Emory is very welcoming.

Emory not only as rich students, but is rich in financial assets. Harvard is number one, and Emory ranks in the top 10. A couple of years ago it ranked fifth or sixth.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
Well if your daughter is still in high school...if she graduates with a 3.0 here in Georgia...she gets to go to any state school she wishes...tuition free. (as long as she keeps her grades up) The state will give her I believe 3K a year to go to a private school, if that's her choice. ( I know that Emory is a private school)

Old 09-12-2006, 04:54 PM

16 posts, read 63,764 times
Yea but the only public worth going to is GA TECH. Emory was always the safety school for the students at my students old school in FL and I agree alot of wealthy jewish girls ended up there even with SATs below what they post as there norm.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Emory University is a very good school. Private and rated as one of the best medical schools in the country.

Emory is also in conjunction with Moorehouse College, a mostly black college in which they have many joint relationships with cardiology.

Granted blacks are minority at the school, but so is mostly every race, whites (being common folk) included.

Majority is wealthy children from BlueBlood lineage. In other words, old Southern money. Plus, many Jersey JAPS with their Buckhead cousins.
(Jewish American Princesses from New Jersey)

Old 09-12-2006, 09:25 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
And what is the matter with Georgia State, North Georgia, and UGA???
I like Tech also, but a state school is a state school no matter how much jelly you want to put on the peanut butter
The problem which most states schools have is they have to admit almost anybody who applies from within the state. The have standards which say something like if you have a 3.0 you are guaranteed admission to the school. Of course GATech has this same problem but Georgia also has the Hope Scholorship. The Hope Scholorship says that if you get a 3.0 in high school you can go to school for free to any GA public Uni. The problem is you have to maintain a certain GPA while at the Uni or you will lose your scholorship. Many, many GA high school students who get a 3.0 and get admitted to Tech don't go because they are afraid of not making the GPA requirements because Tech is such a hard school. What you end up with is a the best students instead of your normal mediocre state school mix of students.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:26 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
Georgia Tech is certainly not your typical public school. It was voted fourth toughest school by Princeton Review right after MIT, Navy and CalTech.

Georgia Tech is relative easy to get in (if you consider 1360 SAT easy). But it also flunks out a lot of students (about 1/3 of its freshmen class). The general student average GPA is 2.76 means that a lot of students won't be back after one year (losing Hope scholarship).

A lot of students in Georgia Tech could easily get into Ivy leagues or MIT, but many choose staying in South because they don't want to move to Northeast.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:56 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
Emory is better than BC or BU, for sure. The reason is that NE has a lot of good schools (i.e. all Ivy league schools, MIT, Amherst and others). Those schools are preferred by students than BC or BU (the pecking order is much lower). A lot of people in South who don't want to go to north so it attracts some of those students.

Emory campus is very nice. Enjoy visit there while I was at college.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:58 AM

16 posts, read 63,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
And what is the matter with Georgia State, North Georgia, and UGA???
I like Tech also, but a state school is a state school no matter how much jelly you want to put on the peanut butter

Alot! And I have learned to keep my mouth shut in this area less I be tarred and feathered for my VERY negative opinions about these schools.

But back to the original poster's question - Is there a reason why you have to have your daughter right next to you while she is attending college? Personally I think there is a better class of people at Boston College - at least the ones I have known. You just can't compare living in Boston to living in ATL...Boston wins hands down because of the history, culture and all the great schools in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: