Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 PM

298 posts, read 628,375 times

Advertisements

We are starting the college search for my daughter who is a rising senior. We toured all over the south this summer and her top choices are Univ. of GA, Auburn Uni, and UNC Chapel Hill (one of her reach schools). We are not from the south and would appreciate any opinions on these universities. She is a high B, low A student that would like a big college experience. She would like to live in a sorority house. We noticed the transfer out rate at Auburn is higher than UGA or UNC. Can anyone comment on that? Also we would love to hear from Environmental Science students, what do you think of the program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
UNC is clearly the best of those 3 but is definitely VERY competitive especially without perfect grades.

UGA has been improving their standards quite a bit over the last few years as well. I don't know enough about Auburn to comment that much on it.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 AM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
We are starting the college search for my daughter who is a rising senior. We toured all over the south this summer and her top choices are Univ. of GA, Auburn Uni, and UNC Chapel Hill (one of her reach schools). We are not from the south and would appreciate any opinions on these universities. She is a high B, low A student that would like a big college experience. She would like to live in a sorority house. We noticed the transfer out rate at Auburn is higher than UGA or UNC. Can anyone comment on that? Also we would love to hear from Environmental Science students, what do you think of the program?

With a high B, low A average, Auburn seems like a good choice and attainable. But with this type of GPA (even though it is a good one!), UGA will be a reach for your daughter as well.

Everyone I know that has attended Auburn loved it. Great school, good quality of life, and very convenient to Atlanta--and only like 2.5 hours (maybe 3) from the Florida Panhandle beaches!

Also--Auburn has large out-of-state population (though most of the out-of-state pop is Georgia/Southeastern U.S. centered)...which will help your daughter feel less out of place.

Have y'all also looked into Clemson University? Or the University of Tennessee? These schools are excellent options that could be appealing to your daughter as well.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Agree with the others; academically both UGA and UNC are likely going to be out of her reach. For a "Southern" college experience, and the degree major she's interested in, Auburn is a good choice. Also, Auburn has a very strong "family" tradition, i.e. the university community acts as a safe "home away from home" for students. That's not to say kids don't party there or get into trouble, but the the AU tradition is very much about protecting its own and giving parents peace of mind.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
The average GPA of an entering freshman is 3.83. 5% of entering freshmen were the salutatorian of valedictorian of their HS class. 54% were in the top 10% of their class.

I'd still apply and try. There is still a chance depending on many other factors: strength of classes taken, leadership/extracurricular, county/school of the student, luck, etc...

I'd also apply to Auburn and find one or two back up options that are sure things, but places she'd be happy if it wasn't any of those 3 schools.

I agree UNC will be a bit harder to get into. Auburn will be a bit easier.

Comparatively, UNC's entering freshman class avg GPA: 4.5, 20% were 1st or 2nd in their class, and 79% were in the top 10% of their class.

Auburn's avg GPA is 3.7; 39% were in the top 10% of their class

Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,711 times
There are no sorority houses on Auburn's campus if that is a big deal to you. They are all in dorms. It's weird to me since there are fraternity houses (I went to Auburn in the 80's). I'd be happy with my children going to any of those three schools. I think I heard recently that Georgia is more competitive due to the Hope Scholarship opportunities. Auburn has actually gotten harder to get into as well and I'd shiver thinking about paying that out of state tuition rate. I loved going to Auburn, though! From a parental perspective I'd know my child is about as safe as you can get on a large public campus. They have made some pretty sweet building upgrades this year (new student union and new rec center).

Rec center: Auburn Student Rec Center | al.com

Really, though, you probably can't go wrong with any of those schools.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Note that sorority rush at the big southern universities is very competitive. Definitely do your homework and be prepared, getting recommendations is very important. You can start your research at greekchat.com but keep your focus to the threads that give specific advise to going through Rush.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 AM

550 posts, read 989,785 times
Honestly, UNC is difficult to get into from out-of-state for children of alumni with near perfect grades, test scores, etc. and with significant connections in the state. I think that is likely to be a stretch.

RE: sorority rush, I would strongly agree with lorilove here.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
I think that your initial choices are very sound. If you want a southern university with a strong sorority system, I'll add Tulane and Southern Methodist to the list.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,149 times
Environmental science? Suggest Georgia Tech to her.

While the campus is not as pretty or as large in area as a UGA, it definitely offers a 'big college' experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta