Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM

550 posts, read 989,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
LOL! I guess the reputation of the sororities varies from campus to campus. My daughter is definitely not into that scene. She told me at Arkansas, the KKG stands for Kappa Kappa Grandma. They are seen as more downhome but academically excellent group there.

At least that's how she sold me

But she has made the best of her situation, going straight into the graduate program in Speech Pathology. Couldn't be prouder. Given her great record and signs of maturity I do trust her. Waiting a year, she got to see them all in action and got a good handle on what each group stood for.

There is a surprising draw from the north Dallas burbs to Arkansas and Oklahoma State. Seems at both my kids graduations, there were as many going to these schools as were staying in state. Hardly ANY kids going to UT... Most in state were headed to A&M or Tech.

For the OP re: rush, I think this is an excellent argument to waiting. FWIW, I did get a bid from my first choice sorority (sisters in the bonds with Saintmarks daughter). At the time I considered it a great experience. In retrospect, I would not encourage my daughter to pursue greek life. (If she chose to, I would support her.) YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM

221 posts, read 247,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
You mean like joining a forum just to comment on this thread...?
Why don't you try talking about the topic rather than me.

I joined the forum, then I saw this topic partly b/c the OP has posted it in 3 different places.

You can question the rankings, sometimes. Its fun, tap into your inner rebel sometimes. Intelligent people question things. What the UNC is the best people are doing is basically saying Nike is better than Adidas because Michael Jordan wore Nike. It doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the shoe, or quality of education, for them. It's the stats on the student body, coming out of high school.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
I have a boatload of family and friends in NC. Kids with straight As in AP classes, highly competitive test scores, the right ECs, parents who are alumni, well-connected friends, etc. have not gotten into UNC. I don't evaluate the quality of a university based on US News, I am not emotional over a random stranger's comment on the internet. But for any kids out there contemplating UNC, esp. if you are out-of-state, unless your kid has a stellar application you may want to save the $ and apply elsewhere.
LOL, how much does it cost to apply somewhere? 50 bucks max?

Everything you've said here is anecdotal and hearsay. I bet there was something in each of these student's record that hurt them in the application process, maybe just getting their application in too late. We'd have to look at these students's records in detail to derive any useful information out of this.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
Quote:
Why don't you try talking about the topic rather than me.
So noting your joining to post on this topic makes me "making it about you?"

Um, yeah ok. By all means go back to your emotional pleas. It's one thing to question US News etc, it's another to make your posts. If are attempting an intelligent conversation, you failed with your immature first post.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
So noting your joining to post on this topic makes me "making it about you?"

Um, yeah ok. By all means go back to your emotional pleas. It's one thing to question US News etc, it's another to make your posts. If are attempting an intelligent conversation, you failed with your immature first post.
Dude, you are the one who is immature. Why is this such a big deal for you? You are in Georgia. Did you go to UNC?

You just want to control people, it appears. You seem like you about ready to cry over my opinion that UNC is overhyped.

I don't think it is worth paying UNC's out of state tuition if even if it is true they are an elite school.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Dude, you are the one who is immature.
I didn't join to post in this thread and make ridiculous statements.

Quote:
Why is this such a big deal for you?
Calm down. All I did was note that you joined to make that comment. That's all.

Quote:
You are in Georgia. Did you go to UNC?
Neither and I don't have a dog in your silly fight.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:46 PM

You don't have a dog in this fight yet you are extremely angry that I am asserting UNC is overhyped. This isn't rational.

You've said over and over I joined just to say UNC is overhyped but that isn't something you have or can prove. I already said that I joined and then I happened to see the OP's post about this, clicked on it, and everybody is gushing over UNC. I think colleges in general are all overhyped and overpriced. I am sure UNC is ok but I laugh when I hear somebody say it is elite. That's just marketing and it is interesting how people not associated with it don't see that.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
You two get a room... back to the OP please!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
You don't have a dog in this fight yet you are extremely angry that I am asserting UNC is overhyped.
I don't and am not angry. I didn't just join city data today. I've been here for years.

Quote:
You've said over and over I joined just to say UNC is overhyped but that isn't something you have or can prove
I said that because that was your first post.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,519 times
As posted earlier - while UGA has increased their admission stats (largely due to HOPE), the quality of education and post-grad opportunities are similar for a student graduating from UGA and Auburn. They are both state SEC schools, and it isn't like either of them are Harvard or Stanford, you know what I'm saying? In fact, if you are majoring in science or engineering, Auburn may indeed provide a superior experience to UGA (not saying UGA is bad in these areas at all though). There is a component of the UGA hype in the Atlanta area that is essentially "homerism".

Obviously, on a national level UNC is seen as clearly superior academically to UGA and Auburn, and there is little debate over that point. As someone who just left the Triangle, I can tell you UNC's campus is beautiful and it is a fantastic school. Great campus life. Is it worth the out of state tuition though? That is a personal decision. But for me, in state HOPE financed college at UGA >>> out of state tuition UNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta