Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM

221 posts, read 247,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
There are smart, personable, attractive, accomplished young women who go through rush at a place like Alabama or Auburn and come out without a bid. At any sorority.
A few questions.

What have high school kids really accomplished? LOL

Do sororities discriminate against unattractive girls?

Can a shy girl not get a bid? A lot of attractive young women are somewhat shy.

Do sororities give an IQ test to determine who the smartest girls are? Are sorority girls in general all that smart compared to the non-Greek students?

By the way, I knew some guys at Clemson who started a branch of a national frat that wasn't at Clemson at the time. I'm not sure what the point was b/c they were already hanging out. LOL

I think the whole Greek thing is a bit superficial. The key at college is to have fun and to get a degree. You don't need to be in frat/sor to do either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM

550 posts, read 989,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
A few questions.

What have high school kids really accomplished? LOL

Relative to other high school kids. But, I absolutely know high school kids I consider accomplished, by demonstrating leadership, perseverence, discipline, etc.

Do sororities discriminate against unattractive girls?

Um, is the Pope Catholic?

Can a shy girl not get a bid? A lot of attractive young women are somewhat shy.

True. Rush is a totally artificial construct and a shy girl in my opinion would be at a big disadvantage.

Do sororities give an IQ test to determine who the smartest girls are? Are sorority girls in general all that smart compared to the non-Greek students?

No, they use GPA. Of course a debate could be had about the link between GPA and "smartness". At my school, the avg. sorority GPA was higher. I suppose this depends on the school, but I do think in general, that is the case.
See above.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Ok, why is there a stereotype of sorority girls as been ditzy bimbos, as well as easy?

I wouldn't have associated intelligent and accomplished with them as a whole, although I know some classy intelligent girls who were in sororities. I saw some girls in the "pretigioius" sororities who were not all that attractive. I could see a extremely beautiful girl being discriminated again because the sorority girls are jealous and intimidated by her.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,763 times
Check out the Ole Miss site to see what the "odds" are for certain GPAs. You really need to have a 3.0 in high school because each house has a minimum GPA requirement for initiation and they don't want to pledge someone who has a good chance of not making grades.
What have high school girls accomplished? Being on winning sports teams and named all-conference, all-American or whatever the possible award.
Being involved in philanthropies or better yet organizing big fund raisers for certain causes.
Starting their own business- often times around crafty or food items.
Working for political candidates (only is a plus if it matches with the politics of certain houses).
Having experience as an actress or model.
Believe me, high school kids these days have done a lot and girls going through rush/recruitment will have printed resumes reflecting their accomplishments. And they will have written recs from multiple alums who will be gushing over every little thing. It used to be that those writing the recs would also send gifts to the house (such as snacks, flowers, pencils with the rushee's name), but that has been banned.

First impressions count in a big way- the sorority will assign you to a certain group of girls to talk to you in a certain order depending on how your ranking based on your application/recs. You only have a few minutes with each girl to wow them over so how you look and what you wear count big. They may forget your name, but they'll remember your Channel shoes (Toreys don't stand out amongst the crowd).

Besides GPA, it is easy to see who the brainiest girls are by their activities and high school groups such as National Honor Society, Key Club, Beta Club, working as a math tudor at Mathasium, debate team, etc. And if you're majoring in pre-med versus say fashion design. I'm not sure if sororities still have required study halls, but getting high grades is very much encouraged and supported. It is especially helpful to have access to help and advice from your sorority sisters. Some schools have old "test files" and other help.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 PM

Pre-med isn't a major. It's just a group of classes required to get into a medical school. The major thing seems like a silly criteria because you can always change your major and your first semester your major is kind of a tenative thing anyway.

I don't think the majority of sorority girls played a lot of sports in high school, maybe cheerleading and something like cross country. I think the more athletic girls tend to disdain sorority girls, at least from my own experience.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, why is there a stereotype of sorority girls as been ditzy bimbos, as well as easy?

I wouldn't have associated intelligent and accomplished with them as a whole, although I know some classy intelligent girls who were in sororities. I saw some girls in the "pretigioius" sororities who were not all that attractive. I could see a extremely beautiful girl being discriminated again because the sorority girls are jealous and intimidated by her.
I don't know--like all stereotypes there may be some truth to it. I believe that being ditzy or "easy" are characteristics equally represented in other campus groups.

This was interesting:
Fraternity & Sorority National Statistics

But, as a parent, I would be extremely concerned about the role of alcohol in Greek life. (I know this is not confined to the greek system.) And I will strongly encourage my daughters to choose schools that offer plenty of alternatives for friendship and connection.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,763 times
I think the stereotypes are from the era when girls went to college solely for their Mrs. degree.

Unattractive girls in a top tier house probably has outstanding qualities in some area (say top lacrosse player in the state and sisters in the house, along with 4.0 in all AP classes).

Unlikely that any girl would be discriminated by having outstanding looks- having finalists in Homecoming Courts, Miss State Beauty Pageant, Sigma Chi Derby Day, etc are too important to the status of the house. Sorority girls in the SEC are not intimidated by much.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I don't think the majority of sorority girls played a lot of sports in high school, maybe cheerleading and something like cross country. I think the more athletic girls tend to disdain sorority girls, at least from my own experience.
Not my experience. In my sorority we had girls on the tennis, soccer, basketball, and field hockey teams. The girls I know currently at Walton who will be applying to schools like UGA, UNC, Wake, Vanderbilt etc. and are very interested in joining sororities all play a sport well. Competitive swimming, tennis, lacrosse, soccer, rowing etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I think the stereotypes are from the era when girls went to college solely for their Mrs. degree.

Unattractive girls in a top tier house probably has outstanding qualities in some area (say top lacrosse player in the state and sisters in the house, along with 4.0 in all AP classes).

Unlikely that any girl would be discriminated by having outstanding looks- having finalists in Homecoming Courts, Miss State Beauty Pageant, Sigma Chi Derby Day, etc are too important to the status of the house. Sorority girls in the SEC are not intimidated by much.

Yes, this exactly.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Unfortunately, I think Animal House gave the Greek system a reputation like Deliverance gave to the South. A bad one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta