Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM

16,707 posts, read 29,537,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
The specific stories that I have heard about an A student with high test scores not getting into a GT or UGA typically occur when that student is coming from a highly competitive high school.

For example one year, someone close to me did not make it into GT. Admissions noted that although he met their qualifications but he was also coming from Northview High where they had already accept over 60 applicants equally or more qualified.

And no, I don't believe someone less qualified from a less competitive school was accepted. It is simply that schools like GT have more than enough qualified candidates and it is not in their best interest to limit their acceptance to a few selective high schools.

As noted earlier, sometimes the numbers work against you.

This. Great post. (see bolded text above)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
My poor dd who will be at Walton. I think I need to turn tiger mother and start making her practice her violin more so she can get a scholarship somewhere.
lol.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
That's an excellent point. My child graduated from Westminster. Ten years ago only a handful (relatively speaking) of those grads applied to UGA. Now, a large number apply. UGA, for instance, wants a diverse student body. So, it is likely that an A student from a remote south Georgia high school will have an advantage in admissions over that Westminster B+/A- student. Like you said, sometimes the numbers work against you. But, I think that is a wise decsion by, in my example, UGA.
Yes. I agree.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Georgia College (Georgia College and State University) has emerged as a great school here in Georgia.

Georgia College has the third highest average SAT scores for entering freshmen after GT and UGA.

It is in Milledgeville, for those that don't know--and the school abuts downtown Milledgeville. And downtown Milledgeville is becoming "cooler" due to the college and student influence.

My niece loves it and she is thriving there.

Georgia College: Georgia's Public Liberal Arts University
It's small, but it still maintains that older traditional college on a quad and next to a town feel.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:54 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Quote:
Georgia College (Georgia College and State University) has emerged as a great school here in Georgia.

Georgia College has the third highest average SAT scores for entering freshmen after GT and UGA.

It is in Milledgeville, for those that don't know--and the school abuts downtown Milledgeville. And downtown Milledgeville is becoming "cooler" due to the college and student influence.

My niece loves it and she is thriving there.

Georgia College: Georgia's Public Liberal Arts University
Totally agree aries4118 - I have also heard great things about Georgia College

Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Quote:
My poor dd who will be at Walton. I think I need to turn tiger mother and start making her practice her violin more so she can get a scholarship somewhere.
Have her take up rowing - just recently there was an article that the highest percentage of students on scholarship for any give sport is rowing. It would be great if she were tall - long legs are a plus!

Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know. Too many violinists, sigh. Seriously the competition is insane, but as you said in an earlier post, when one door closes, another opens, etc. She isn't going to structure her life around college applications but pursue what she is passionate about and I believe it will all work out. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for Hope scholarship and honors program at UGA.

And I agree with those who have said that in general, it depends more on the student than the school, and I think my dd will do fine wherever she ends up. Which, she already knows, will not be anyplace that costs 60k/yr. unless there is a scholarship.

But, back to the OP, I would not want to go blindly into rush at a big Southern school without being aware of the unique...ummmm...atmosphere. (I would just google southern sorority rush for more insight) I would want my daughter to be clear on how she would feel, what she would do, if she did not get a bid, and to know and identify other ways to form friendships on the campus.
And--remember, there is Georgia College...and Georgia Tech.

Georgia Tech has many, top programs/majors outside of engineering. Roughly 40% of the student body does not major in engineering.

GT can be a great environment for a female/young woman.

GT | Degree Programs

GT | Colleges & Schools

Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts
Georgia Tech - Scheller College of Business
College of Architecture | Georgia Tech
Latest News | Georgia Tech College of Sciences

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM

550 posts, read 989,785 times
I suggested rowing to her (not for college app., but because I think it is a really great sport) and no go. She is, um...not the most athletic. She is going to stick with tennis. (Although doubtful she will make the team at Walton, still a good lifetime sport)

Thanks Aries for the Georgia College Info. I was not at all familiar with it, but it seems like a good option. And the honors program there looks fantastic and like a great way to get to know people and make friends with common interests. (without rushing, lol!)

I have friends who loved GT--but I think it would be a tough sell to my dd. She loves literature and history and wants to major in English (I know...) and music. I appreciate the suggestion though!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I suggested rowing to her (not for college app., but because I think it is a really great sport) and no go. She is, um...not the most athletic. She is going to stick with tennis. (Although doubtful she will make the team at Walton, still a good lifetime sport)

Thanks Aries for the Georgia College Info. I was not at all familiar with it, but it seems like a good option. And the honors program there looks fantastic and like a great way to get to know people and make friends with common interests. (without rushing, lol!)

I have friends who loved GT--but I think it would be a tough sell to my dd. She loves literature and history and wants to major in English (I know...) and music. I appreciate the suggestion though!
Yay, Georgia College!

English and Literature is a great major. Most majors give students marketable and professional skills that can be used in a variety of fields, arenas, and life-paths.

The key is knowing the skills you've gained and effectively using them. And--having minors and other coursework that bring diversity to your college curriculum and resume (ie: English, with a minor/significant coursework in Computing or Earth Science; or Engineering with a minor/significant coursework in Portuguese or History).

Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM

550 posts, read 989,785 times
Quote:
Yay, Georgia College!

English and Literature is a great major. Most majors give students marketable and professional skills that can be used in a variety of fields, arenas, and life-paths.

The key is knowing the skills you've gained and effectively using them. And--having minors and other coursework that bring diversity to your college curriculum and resume (ie: English, with a minor/significant coursework in Computing or Earth Science; or Engineering with a minor/significant coursework in Portuguese or History).
Totally on the same page. Dd is still young, but it is clear where her interests and passions lie and I can't imagine them changing that significantly. Go liberal arts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta