Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 03:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I just realized something:

Mattie = Milton

Roxyrn = Roswell

And Mattie--you're a mother with teenage/grown-children as well, correct? And you're both transplants?
Ha, true! Can we add Aries = Atlanta? Yup, last two are in college now, and we were transferred here from the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM

298 posts, read 628,375 times
SaintMarks: Thank you for your post. Auburn Uni having a strong Christian base is a huge plus and gets one more "stick count" for Auburn. I assumed most universities in the south had a Christian presence but it is really nice to have that confirmed. We live in a pretty conservative area of CA, OK the only conservative area of CA, and Auburn is sounding more like a very good fit.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:57 PM

221 posts, read 247,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
SaintMarks: Thank you for your post. Auburn Uni having a strong Christian base is a huge plus and gets one more "stick count" for Auburn. I assumed most universities in the south had a Christian presence but it is really nice to have that confirmed. We live in a pretty conservative area of CA, OK the only conservative area of CA, and Auburn is sounding more like a very good fit.
What is your daughter's problem with Clemson? DId you see my post about Clemson? It seems odd to me that somebody would want to drive past Clemson for another 4 hours or so to go to Auburn. CLemson's close to the mountains too, just a better location in my view.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 PM

What are the other public schools in NC, outside of UNC branches and NC State, eastern carolina. Western Carolina?

My twin bro and I visited Elon when I was still in high school, seemed like a nice small school but they wouldn't give any kind of aid.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,763 times
-way to go, Sherlock (aka aries4118)!

Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:
Thanks for confirming that I wasn't out on a limb to post that bit of info.

My daughter is very, very active in the Young Life at the University of Arkansas. Even though she is in Kappa Kappa Gamma, this is really where she has found her niche and closest group of friends.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 PM

298 posts, read 628,375 times
OrangeCrush: My daughter does not dislike Clemson in any way. We just didn't see it this year and it's not as fresh in her mind. She initially put it on the back burner because the sororities were in the dorms, but so are Auburn's so that's a wash now. I do love the idea of having the lake at your fingertips. We live on a lake in NC so we are avid boat people. She is still applying to both Auburn and Clemson. I don't know what to say.....when she saw Auburn the angels sang, she saw the white light, whatever it was she seems to really be drawn there. It's also a very good choice for her major. I'd be happy if she ended up at either one. I do keep suggesting other NC colleges but so far no interest. She really wants a larger college. App State would be a good fit but she thinks it is too cold. UNC Charlotte, too close to home. She has a say in what college she goes to, within reason, so we are letting her choose. If she comes up with something crazy we'll step in.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
OrangeCrush: My daughter does not dislike Clemson in any way. We just didn't see it this year and it's not as fresh in her mind. She initially put it on the back burner because the sororities were in the dorms, but so are Auburn's so that's a wash now. I do love the idea of having the lake at your fingertips. We live on a lake in NC so we are avid boat people. She is still applying to both Auburn and Clemson. I don't know what to say.....when she saw Auburn the angels sang, she saw the white light, whatever it was she seems to really be drawn there. It's also a very good choice for her major. I'd be happy if she ended up at either one. I do keep suggesting other NC colleges but so far no interest. She really wants a larger college. App State would be a good fit but she thinks it is too cold. UNC Charlotte, too close to home. She has a say in what college she goes to, within reason, so we are letting her choose. If she comes up with something crazy we'll step in.
Loveorangecounty,

Here is my post about Clemson you might have missed because I started fearmongering over the Greek drug culture and the sorority girls ganged up on me:

Clemson has a lot of nice new dorms and I would be surprised if the women didn't get priority for them, as they should. The dorms are probably nicer than a sorority house would be and you are closer to classes and cafeteria, etc. I lived on campus all 4 years because I liked be able to walk everywhere.

I think Clemson and Auburn are pretty similar, land grant colleges. I think Clemson has a better location, close to the mountains and two pristine lakes, Lake Jocasee and Lake Keowee. I looked at going to Auburn a few years ago for a graduate program and it seems great too, a real green area, but it is a bit isolated in my view. If my parents lived in NC, it seems somewhat pointless to drive past Clemson to go to Auburn a few more hours away (and being forced to go thru Atlanta).

Clemson appears to have environmental science program with 3 different concentrations. In addition,
Clemson's environmental engineering program is supposedly top 20 in the country. It probably will require more math and understanding of physics than environment science but I think it probably is more valuable of a degree. Clemson also has some other similar programs like wildlife and fisheries biology and food science, and some other ones that she could explore if environmental science isn't exactly what she's looking for when she gets into it. I think a lot of young people want to major in environmental science but then they find out it is kind on the dry side and they transfer to another major.

Clemson also has a huge experimental forest as well as the large lake that the environmental science and other natural science majors will have access to during their classwork.

I'd recommend going to Clemson in the fall sometime, to a home football game. You could also stop off in Greenville SC, which is about 40 minutes away, and check out the awesome downtown area there with a huge pediastrian suspension bridge over a waterfall. A lot of Clemson students will go over to Greenville on the weekends so you can get the true college town experience with access to a bigger city while going to Clemson.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM

I googled Clemson vs Auburn and it appears the main differences is Auburn is a bigger city than Clemson. Clemson isn't that far from Seneca and Anderson so this doesn't seem like a big deal but I suppose it might be for some. The biggest city that Auburn is close to is Montgomery AL which supposedly isn't very nice, while Clemson is 45 minutes from Greenville which most people love.

Auburn also has about 5000 more undergrad students than Clemson. I think 17000 students at Clemson is big enough.

I did know a guy who did his graduate degree at Auburn and he said they really gave him the red carpet treatment.

I think if your daughter wants to find work in Charlotte or the Carolinas, Clemson would be the better degree but outside of the Carolinas it is probably a wash.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 PM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Ha, true! Can we add Aries = Atlanta? Yup, last two are in college now, and we were transferred here from the northeast.
Haha...love it.

At one point, yes, but I've lived in various places since the City of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta