Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:30 PM

298 posts, read 628,427 times

Advertisements

Wow, thank you for all the quick responses. Each of the 3 forums I posted on added something to the discussion. Just to clear this up, we have dual residency in CA and NC so we have in-state tuition in at least those 2 states. She does not want to go to college in CA. Nothing wrong with the schools, she just wants an adventure and to go away to school. I did not realize UGA was considered a party school, not that that really changes her mind, just nice to be aware of. Also, yes, some of you scared me about the sorority's. Yikes !!! It reminds me of the movie The Blindside when Sandra Bullock is dealing with her snooty friends. My daughter will not like being expected to wear a brand of shoes or carry a certain purse. Not that money is the issue. It's just not her thing and she would never judge anyone else on those items. Thank you for suggesting looking on the greek forums. That will be our next stop. I am a little unsure of her fitting into the "deep" south. She is familiar with NC but I consider that the "new" south due to all the transplants. She is applying to 8 schools, these are her top 3 in the area, hence my posting on this forum. Keep the comments coming if you think of anything we should be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM

221 posts, read 247,937 times
UNC isn't superior in engineering to any college who offers engineering programs. If I lived in NC, I'd want to go to NC State or UNC-Charlotte for science programs, as well. In my mind, UNC is basically a big liberal arts college.

Apparently the OP lives in NC. The daughter doesn't like the NC State campus, basically, because it is probably the best program for what she is looking for. The campus is generally the biggest thing for many students and the reason why UNC is so popular is mostly b/c of the nice campus near a large metro.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
I did not realize UGA was considered a party school, not that that really changes her mind, just nice to be aware of. Also, yes, some of you scared me about the sorority's. Yikes !!! It reminds me of the movie The Blindside when Sandra Bullock is dealing with her snooty friends. My daughter will not like being expected to wear a brand of shoes or carry a certain purse.
loveorange - If it helps, my daughter is a sophomore at UGA and a member of a sorority. She has made great friends in her sorority, most of whom and their parents I have met. Nothing to be scared of there at all. Not snooty, no required designer brands, etc. In fact, the sorority has a minimum GPA and community service requirements that are pretty respectable. My daughter is a biology major taking classes such as organic chemistry, biology and calculus this semester. It's a tough curriculum. Partying does not seem to be a major distraction despite the fact that she is a pretty darn social person. While I love to brag on her (bet you couldn't tell!) I wanted to mention all of this so you would know that Georgia does offer serious students a serious education and the greek system can be a positive influence.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
Lol at the greek system. Its a way to build (pay) your way into a social network without having to rely solely on your personal merits or personality.

GDI till I die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Not sure if serious... GT has one if the best looking campuses in the country.
Lol. No. I would say it is a little big above average now... but it sure didn't look like it does now when I attended!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,997,230 times
I know these colleges well--having lived in Chapel Hill, visited the other two multiple times...If NC in-state tuition plays into the decision, and she is looking at sciences, why not consider NC State? Is there a reason she wants a large state university? The guidance and teaching can be better at a smaller school. Especially in intro level sciences. If she is super-advanced, already doing research, then the big schools makes sense. But 100 level chemistry classes at UNC have 400+ students in a class. . . whereas the same class at Davidson might have 30.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
loveorange - If it helps, my daughter is a sophomore at UGA and a member of a sorority. She has made great friends in her sorority, most of whom and their parents I have met. Nothing to be scared of there at all. Not snooty, no required designer brands, etc. In fact, the sorority has a minimum GPA and community service requirements that are pretty respectable. My daughter is a biology major taking classes such as organic chemistry, biology and calculus this semester. It's a tough curriculum. Partying does not seem to be a major distraction despite the fact that she is a pretty darn social person. While I love to brag on her (bet you couldn't tell!) I wanted to mention all of this so you would know that Georgia does offer serious students a serious education and the greek system can be a positive influence.
AnsleyPark - your daughter sounds almost identical to my niece. My niece graduated from UGA last year and just started Dental School at an Ivy League University.

To the OP: There are millions of success stories of girls in sororities that attended party schools - if you trust our daughter, don't listen to rumors.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Lol at the greek system. Its a way to build (pay) your way into a social network without having to rely solely on your personal merits or personality.

GDI till I die
But Tarzanman, just because you belong to a sorority or fraternity doesn't mean you have no independence. And, it's far more than a way to build simply a social network - my best friends for life are from my fraternity - and I graduated 28 years ago! And relying on a social network to help you succeed is smart - trying to do it alone? Not so much so.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM

550 posts, read 989,897 times
If she is applying in-state then, I would totally apply to UNC. I do not think UGA is any more of a party school than UNC. A kdi who wants to drink and party will have no trouble finding that atmosphere at ANY of these schools, and a kid who doesn't will also be able to find plenty of fellow like-minded peers. ITA with AnsleyPark re: serious students and serious education at UGA. The greek system can be a positive influence. There were (a few) girls in my sorority who didn't drink, but I think it is important to be realistic about the role alcohol plays in the majority of social functions associated with fraternities and sororities. Most somehow found time to study in between parties and had high GPAs. Many (prob. most) of my sorority sisters have gone on to very successful careers in their fields, and there was (some) space for quirky non-conformists. But by senior year most of the quirky people had discovered outlets other than the greek system that better met their needs. Re: snooty friends: it will not be overt as in that movie, and of course not all members of a sorority are like that, but, there is absolutely that element. I would encourage you and her to really think about what she values, and to consider other campus groups that may better meet those needs. The time committment for pledging and beyond is also something to consider while a student is adjusting to the (hopefully) academic rigors of college life.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:16 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times
First, I think that the fraternity/sorority issue would be best served in a separate thread.

NC has some very good schools- Duke, Wake Forest, Elon, Davidson and other public schools. I've had children who have gone to both Wake Forest and UNC. UNC is very difficult for out-of-state students to get into. UGA is difficult for both in-state and out-of-state. And GT is also very selective.

Qualifying for the Hope scholarship, I see many B plus students going to Georgia state schools such as Southern.

Although getting a great education is totally dependent on the student, going to a higher ranked or private school can open the door to opportunities via alumni networking.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
Wow, thank you for all the quick responses. Each of the 3 forums I posted on added something to the discussion. Just to clear this up, we have dual residency in CA and NC so we have in-state tuition in at least those 2 states. She does not want to go to college in CA. Nothing wrong with the schools, she just wants an adventure and to go away to school. I did not realize UGA was considered a party school, not that that really changes her mind, just nice to be aware of. Also, yes, some of you scared me about the sorority's. Yikes !!! It reminds me of the movie The Blindside when Sandra Bullock is dealing with her snooty friends. My daughter will not like being expected to wear a brand of shoes or carry a certain purse. Not that money is the issue. It's just not her thing and she would never judge anyone else on those items. Thank you for suggesting looking on the greek forums. That will be our next stop. I am a little unsure of her fitting into the "deep" south. She is familiar with NC but I consider that the "new" south due to all the transplants. She is applying to 8 schools, these are her top 3 in the area, hence my posting on this forum. Keep the comments coming if you think of anything we should be aware of.
Most of Atlanta is transplants, so I wouldn't expect her to feel too out of place at any school. I'd say suburban Atlantans are a large social force at UGA and a bit at Auburn as well.

However, for the families who aren't transplants these are all -the- schools to get into. It is where their parents and grandparents went. At either of these schools she will notice the Southern aspects of it from that mixed into the bunch.

One way it is noticeable is it kind of goes hand in hand with the sorority information mentioned before.

I can't put my finger on how to describe it properly, but the sororities don't quite fit the same mold as the stereotypical sororities outside the south or the ones out west. I'm sort of hoping a few others can find the right way to describe it.
Wait until you see how the greeks dress up for football games.

In any case... Greek life is really strong for those that are greek, but most students still aren't greek. I'd say about in the low 20 percent of students are greek.

Lastly, I think it is safe you can ignore the sour apples in the forums for any productive information....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta