Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times

Advertisements

Where does you daughter live and go to school?
I assume you have checked the North Carolina requirements for in-state tuition which is based on domicile (not residency).
Whatever, find the school that has the best program that she can get into. Apply to reach, realistic and safety schools- at least 5-10. This may not be the school with the best Greek system. Going through recruitment at a large southern school is extremely competitive and if you haven't attended an in-state high school with great grades and stellar extra-curriculars, she most likely will not get a bid. Reality. My university had a record of over 1,700 girls go through recruitment this year.
Bottom line- go to a school that offers the academics you want and don't be so concerned about Greek life.
*I'm an ex-Rush chairman and mother of two Kappas. Also involved in my local alum group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM

550 posts, read 989,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Where does you daughter live and go to school?
I assume you have checked the North Carolina requirements for in-state tuition which is based on domicile (not residency).
Whatever, find the school that has the best program that she can get into. Apply to reach, realistic and safety schools- at least 5-10. This may not be the school with the best Greek system. Going through recruitment at a large southern school is extremely competitive and if you haven't attended an in-state high school with great grades and stellar extra-curriculars, she most likely will not get a bid. Reality. My university had a record of over 1,700 girls go through recruitment this year.
Bottom line- go to a school that offers the academics you want and don't be so concerned about Greek life.
*I'm an ex-Rush chairman and mother of two Kappas. Also involved in my local alum group.
I think this is fabulous advice. And I was curious about the in-state application and tuition policy too if she has been living and attending high school in CA.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 PM

298 posts, read 628,427 times
All these comments are very helpful, thank you. My daughter lives and attends high school in CA. We have spent summers in NC for the last 11 years. We have checked with a few colleges (NC State being one) and used a private college consultant and both stated that we do have in-state tuition for NC. We own a home in NC and my husband is employed in NC. She's only applying to 1 college, UNC in NC, which is a stretch. A few of you suggested looking into NC State, ECU and Georgia Tech. Initially I thought she would end up at NC State. It has a great program for her major and we had heard all positive things about the college. We toured NC State and it was a no right off the bat. I pretty much agreed. We knew it wasn't what she was looking for. I don't want to step on any toes so that's all I'm saying. ECU was on her initial list but we do not see her program there. Closest I see is parks and rec or maybe earth science (when looking at college board). Also the consultant we met with advised ECU only if she was in the honors program. It just didn't feel like a fit. She has never considered Georgia Tech. When asked she said she didn't want to be in a big city. Thanks to those who gave me their insight to the greek system. She is very outgoing and will have to search out the group that is right for her, serority or not. I understand how inconsistent UNC seems to be with their admissions. Some with stellar grades and scores not getting in and others not as high academically are admitted. I think they're just flipping a coin Actually the consultant we met with's daughter had something like a 5.0 GPA, brilliant girl, and didn't get in, now at Dartmouth. She thinks they are looking for diversity, passion and uniqueness. My daughter is applying to 8 colleges. UNC and UT-Austin (her reach schools), Auburn, UGA, Clemson, USC (sort of mid-level, some may be a reach), and Alabama and LSU (hopefully safe schools). Realistically I think she'll end up at Auburn or UGA. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
All these comments are very helpful, thank you. My daughter lives and attends high school in CA. We have spent summers in NC for the last 11 years. We have checked with a few colleges (NC State being one) and used a private college consultant and both stated that we do have in-state tuition for NC. We own a home in NC and my husband is employed in NC. She's only applying to 1 college, UNC in NC, which is a stretch. A few of you suggested looking into NC State, ECU and Georgia Tech. Initially I thought she would end up at NC State. It has a great program for her major and we had heard all positive things about the college. We toured NC State and it was a no right off the bat. I pretty much agreed. We knew it wasn't what she was looking for. I don't want to step on any toes so that's all I'm saying. ECU was on her initial list but we do not see her program there. Closest I see is parks and rec or maybe earth science (when looking at college board). Also the consultant we met with advised ECU only if she was in the honors program. It just didn't feel like a fit. She has never considered Georgia Tech. When asked she said she didn't want to be in a big city. Thanks to those who gave me their insight to the greek system. She is very outgoing and will have to search out the group that is right for her, serority or not. I understand how inconsistent UNC seems to be with their admissions. Some with stellar grades and scores not getting in and others not as high academically are admitted. I think they're just flipping a coin Actually the consultant we met with's daughter had something like a 5.0 GPA, brilliant girl, and didn't get in, now at Dartmouth. She thinks they are looking for diversity, passion and uniqueness. My daughter is applying to 8 colleges. UNC and UT-Austin (her reach schools), Auburn, UGA, Clemson, USC (sort of mid-level, some may be a reach), and Alabama and LSU (hopefully safe schools). Realistically I think she'll end up at Auburn or UGA. Thanks again.

Auburn, ba-by!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
One last piece of advice, something to chew on, I think girls who want to be in a sorority at schools like UGA and Auburn and who don't get in, may find it hard to find their group. I believe this because of conversations that I have had with friends who have girls at these schools.

If she does attend one of these schools, it is essential that she approach rush with an open mind so that she doesn't get attached to any one sorority. For out of state girls at Auburn, for example, I hear that there really are just a couple of options. There is a great thread on the Parents Forum at College Confidential right now about sorority rush...

DD rushing sorority. - College Confidential

Also, did you consider APP State? Appalachian :: Academics :: Majors

They have her major, it is a beautiful campus and it is in NC, so possibility of in state tuition. Boone is a cute town, too.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM

221 posts, read 247,937 times
The average age of students at Applachian State is 31.

I only applied to two colleges, and pretty much knew I wasn't going to one of them b/c the tuition was too much.

I'm always surprised at parents who don't mind paying out of state tuition. I'd only pay a portion of the tuition for my kid to go out of state that equals the in state tution, my kid would have to cover the rest if going out of state is that important.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM

298 posts, read 628,427 times
lastminutemom: That is our next step, to look into the threads talking about the greek life and rushing. Yes, we have thought about App State but she thinks it is too cold. She attended a high jump camp a few years ago at App State and liked it at the time but now she's like a kid in a candy store with so many nice colleges. With visiting so many colleges she definitely has a good idea of what she wants and what she doesn't want. Now the hard part, getting in.

OrangeCrush: My husband had/has the same idea about state tuition as you. He doesn't feel it's so important to attend the most prestigious school for undergrad but is important for a graduate program. Although he is getting a little soft and will most likely let her attend where she wants, within reason. I don't think he'd pay for Harvard or Yale

Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times
To be realistic, UGA is probably not going to happen for an out-of-state B+ student. She's not going to get into UNC or GT, either. Alabama and LSU are better safeties but the Greek systems at both schools are extremely competitive.
Have you considered midwestern schools such as Oklahoma/Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Missouri that have good programs and sororities with houses to live in?

As far as admissions seeming so very random- true. What you don't know about the kids with lower grades/scores is if they are legacies to the schools and if so, how much their parents or grandparents have donated.

The problem with the entire college selection process is that colleges encourage kids to apply to boost their numbers and those applicants think they have a chance to be accepted. When those rejections come, it is hard for them to accept.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 AM

221 posts, read 247,937 times
]LOL, I don't see any reason why anybody currently living in the southeast to go to midwestern states for college. You don't really want to spend the best 4 years of your life in in Iowa or Olkahoma. LOL
Clemson University actually offers an undergrad environmental engineering degree now. It was only a minor when I was there. That will get you a higher paying job than environmental science. I assume the daughter didn't like Clemson that much for some reason if she rather keep driving to Athens or Auburn. Probably because she thinks the city of Clemson is too small? Nearby Anderson is probably as big as Athens or Auburn, and Greenville up the road is better than those 2 by a long ways.

Looks like Clemson has Environmental Science, with 3 different concentrations: Environmental and Natural Resources (B.S.) | Majors | Clemson University, South Carolina

Last edited by OrangeCrush6317; 08-29-2013 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,997,230 times
If Alabama, Auburn, and UGA are on her list, why not add Ole Miss and Florida State?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta