Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I would not compare Atlantic Station to South Park - That's ridiculous. South Park is 3 or 4 times the size and much nicer.
Very true.

Atlantic Station is more like Birkdale Village in nearby Huntersville, NC on steroids in an urban location.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Very true.

Atlantic Station is more like Birkdale Village in nearby Huntersville, NC on steroids in an urban location.
somewhat

Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM

72 posts, read 151,749 times
South Park is the "Buckhead" of Charlotee.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
When I first visited ATL before accepting a job there, I gave it an "A." I expected the same for Charlotte, but give it a "B."

I've lived in Atlanta. I've visited Charlotte when I considering moving back to the Southeast. I found Charlotte to be really bland...the downtown skyline, the housing stock, the suburbs and the tree canopy (I was expecting to find it as forested as Atlanta). On the negative side, CLT is too oriented toward banking and I'd rather be closer to Florida. On the neutral side, people seem six, one-half dozen or the other...not much difference. On the positive side, CLT is not filled out to it's ring road in all directions, so growth could be more easily accommodated.

My verdict, hands down, is for Atlanta.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM

369 posts, read 657,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I disagree about jobs..meaning both are running neck and neck. And who cares.
Well they're certainly far from "neck and neck" with Atlanta's GDP nearly twice the size and a far more corporate presence still. And yes it's something that matters quite a big deal.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Well they're certainly far from "neck and neck" with Atlanta's GDP nearly twice the size and a far more corporate presence still. And yes it's something that matters quite a big deal.
I love Atlanta so I am just speaking of facts. Why is it that folks in Charlotte make more on Average than Atlanta?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
When I first visited ATL before accepting a job there, I gave it an "A." I expected the same for Charlotte, but give it a "B."

I've lived in Atlanta. I've visited Charlotte when I considering moving back to the Southeast. I found Charlotte to be really bland...the downtown skyline, the housing stock, the suburbs and the tree canopy (I was expecting to find it as forested as Atlanta).
You found the skyline to be bland? That's a new one. It could probably use a few prominent historical highrises, but otherwise it's one of the most modern and gleaming skylines in the country and is pretty striking IMO. The housing stock isn't too dissimilar from Atlanta's with Victorian homes in Fourth Ward, Craftsman homes in Elizabeth, Colonial Revival homes and bungalows in Myers Park, Plaza-Midwood, and Dilworth, Tudor Revival homes in Wesley Heights, mill houses in NoDa, bungalows in Wilmore, ranch houses in the second-ring suburbs, and modern condos and townhouses in Uptown and South End. As far as suburbs, suburbs are suburbs and will pretty much be bland wherever you go. The exceptions are the ones that were somewhat established before being swallowed up in sprawl and have some historic character in their downtowns. In Atlanta, that would be Decatur, Vinings, and Marietta; in Charlotte, that would be Davidson, Belmont, and York; a little farther out in the CSA counties, you can find that in Salisbury and Chester.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
I think he's referring to the unemployment rate. They are pretty bad in both cities right now.

But I do find it interesting that although Atlanta's GDP is larger than Charlotte's (which it should be, being a significantly larger metro), metro Atlanta's GDP per capita is less than Charlotte's. I wonder if and how that might change in the future.

There seems to be a certain threshold that when a city hits it, it can pretty much compete with larger cities that might even have a larger corporate presence. Charlotte has pretty much reached this level with respect to Atlanta, as companies are increasingly having both cities on their radar (along with a few others) when it comes to expansion and relocation. That doesn't make Charlotte a true peer, but it does make it an economic competitor. It's really an interesting dynamic to watch all across the South which reflects our continuing maturity as a region.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You found the skyline to be bland? That's a new one. It could probably use a few prominent historical highrises, but otherwise it's one of the most modern and gleaming skylines in the country and is pretty striking IMO. The housing stock isn't too dissimilar from Atlanta's with Victorian homes in Fourth Ward, Craftsman homes in Elizabeth, Colonial Revival homes and bungalows in Myers Park, Plaza-Midwood, and Dilworth, Tudor Revival homes in Wesley Heights, mill houses in NoDa, bungalows in Wilmore, ranch houses in the second-ring suburbs, and modern condos and townhouses in Uptown and South End. As far as suburbs, suburbs are suburbs and will pretty much be bland wherever you go. The exceptions are the ones that were somewhat established before being swallowed up in sprawl and have some historic character in their downtowns. In Atlanta, that would be Decatur, Vinings, and Marietta; in Charlotte, that would be Davidson, Belmont, and York; a little farther out in the CSA counties, you can find that in Salisbury and Chester.
That's my read. Besides BAC, there are no interesting tall buildings, new or old. Also, the amount of cheap homes with vinyl siding in CLT is staggering...you can drive for miles in the midst of this stuff. I just think ATL has better vistas, either close-in or in exurbia.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's my read. Besides BAC, there are no interesting tall buildings, new or old.
Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I think Hearst is more interesting than BOA Corporate Center. The new Duke Energy Center is really cool too, especially with its lighting scheme. The Westin is pretty unique. Plus, not every building should stand out; some have to more or less blend into the background.

Quote:
Also, the amount of cheap homes with vinyl siding in CLT is staggering...you can drive for miles in the midst of this stuff. I just think ATL has better vistas, either close-in or in exurbia.
It's the same in Atlanta when you're driving in exurbia. I-75 north past Marietta, I-575 into Cherokee County, GA 400 into Forsyth County, I-85 through a good bit of north Gwinnett, I-20 through Rockdale County, etc. are all the same way. Atlanta is definitely bigger so you'll have other vistas the closer you get to the city, but in exurbia, it's your typical sprawl. Sounds like this one is chalked up to the size difference between the two metros.

Have you honestly checked out any of the older neighborhoods in Charlotte or the more historic suburbs that I mentioned? It doesn't sound like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta