Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Some of you are either backwoods country or you are just trying to scare people from moving to Atlanta. Every city has crime, its actually safer in Atlanta than in LA, DC, Bmore, Philly, New Orleans, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, St Louis, etc. Crime is everywhere is Atlanta just a safe large city
LA, Dallas & Houston for sure have lower crime rates than Atl. The other cities are probably pretty close to the crime stats you'll find in Atl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 PM

17 posts, read 60,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Some of you are either backwoods country or you are just trying to scare people from moving to Atlanta. Every city has crime, its actually safer in Atlanta than in LA, DC, Bmore, Philly, New Orleans, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, St Louis, etc. Crime is everywhere is Atlanta just a safe large city
Guys help me understand where you are pulling these comparisons from?

FBI data from 2003 for some of the cities mentioned in this thread:

LA
2.1x the national average for violent crime per capita
.8x the national average for property crime per capita

Phoenix
1.16x the national average for violent crime per capita
1.50x the national average for property crime per capita

ATL
3.30x the national average for violent crime per capita
2.01x the national average for property crime per capita

Believe me, I want to believe that I'm out in left field on this, but I'm becoming less and less convinced that I am.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Tony with all due respect I think you just dont understand the crime per capita basis. NY, LA, Houston, Dallas all have much larger city populations than Atlanta. There is a lot of crime in Atlanta for it to have such a small population for a major city and those numbers dont include the South Fulton, SE Dekalb, Clayton County areas that have horrible crime issues.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofstarwars74 View Post
My post didn't say anything about whether or not those places had those kinds of issues; clearly they do and I would never deny that. What I'm telling you is that DESPITE my familiarity with those issues in other major cities, what I see here appears to me to be very different: crime permeates a lot of the city's geography and it's a particularly nasty, brazen sort of crime that goes beyond the occassional car break-in and robbery.
Again, I stand by my premise that the same could be said for LA and Brooklyn (and NYC as a whole) as well.

Just doing a quick check of LA and Brooklyn online crime maps show pretty evenly distributed crime in both areas of all sorts:

Brooklyn

LA

Perhaps it might come down to geography however. The city of Atlanta is physically 1/4 the size of Los Angeles and 1/3 the size of New York City. This will create a city layout my akin to that of D.C. where literally go through a bad neighborhood, then be in a good neighborhood, and then a few blocks later be right back in a neighborhood.

Quote:
In LA and NYC, it's a fairly straightforward matter to avoid areas and situations where you might find yourself at risk - that does not seem to be entirely the case here in ATL.
I really fail to see how that is the case and not just conjecture. It'll probably take time though for you to figure which neighborhoods are good and which are dicey.

Quote:
And these anecdotes about the police are very telling; NYC and LA have VERY active and visible police ... not perfect by any stretch. I'm just saying that ATL having police issues that are getting worse makes me very concerned.
I won't disagree that the APD is stretched thin. I honestly believe that the force should be doubled. However, it is not as if they are invisible, and there are certainly neighborhoods where coverage is good.

Bottom line, don't rely on stats and a few paranoid rants on a message board to tell you how bad crime is in a city. Just like any place be aware of your surroundings and don't make your self a target for crime. Easy as that.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Table 4 - Oklahoma-Wisconsin

Thank God Atlanta isnt as violent as the rest of America

Murders 2009

Dallas- 166
Houston- 287
Memphis- 132
Philly- 302
Phoenix-122
LA-313
DC-143
Atlanta-80
Jacksonville-99
Chicago-458
New Orleans-174
Bmore-238
Detroit-361
Kansas City-100
St Louis-143

Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Tony with all due respect I think you just dont understand the crime per capita basis. NY, LA, Houston, Dallas all have much larger city populations than Atlanta. There is a lot of crime in Atlanta for it to have such a small population for a major city and those numbers dont include the South Fulton, SE Dekalb, Clayton County areas that have horrible crime issues.

I understand but a murder is a murder. Atlanta is safe compared to the rest of America. THere is more crime in those cities listed if you add the areas outside of the city limits in those cities

Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
Ah, the familiar "defend Atlanta against all odds" posts. The sooner we get out of denial the sooner we can start demanding results.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Ah, the familiar "defend Atlanta against all odds" posts. The sooner we get out of denial the sooner we can start demanding results.
How do you figure that? Having a contrary opinion and using facts instead of hysteria isn't "defending Atlanta against all odds".

Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I love how the detractors broadcast their right to an opinion but attack other posters for expressing theirs. Much of what I see expressed here is hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta