Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
The point was, Augusta has more high-end retail..that's a fact.Savannah's has some that Augusta doesn't,but Augusta has way more that Savannah doesn't. I wonder why they all chose to be in Augusta over Savannah? I think you can figure that out. I hate to break it to you..but its 2013...not 2007.
No, it's not "a fact" ... it's your opinion. For every business "unique" to Augusta, there are 2-3 more "unique" to Savannah. And I'm not just talking about chains here, I'm talking unique "LOCALLY OWNED" businesses that Augusta simply cannot come anywhere close to having. Savannah is FAR FAR FAR ahead of Augusta in this regard. Having dozens upon dozens of unique, upscale and LOCALLY OWNED shops, galleries, restaurants, bars and other businesses contributes MIGHTILY to the overall standard of living and quality of life in Savannah. It's what makes Savannah so unique, and on this topic Augusta simply cannot compete.

There's a reason why many cities and states in other parts of the country shun national retail chains: It destroys the local fabric and unique atmosphere of a community. That's what makes Downtown Savannah so special. Augusta is just ... Augusta. Bland. Boring. It could be anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Trust ME: Many of them DO come here specifically to shop. Why else would national retailers like Anthropologie, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, Fabrik, The Gap, Banana Republic, Free People, Urban Outfitters, etc. choose to locate DOWNTOWN?

Savannah Mall is doing just fine, and Oglethorpe Mall is one of the most successful retail centers in the entire Southeast. The 1-million square foot Outlet Mall of Georgia, under construction in Pooler, will bring even more upscale retailers to the Savannah market when it opens in Spring 2015.

And I'm glad to see that Augusta is "building" a Whole Foods. It's rather telling that the Whole Foods people decided that Savannah was a better market for it and decided to build a store here first, huh?

But this is all beside the point: The fact is, Savannah and Augusta's retail markets are not that different from each other. For every unique store Augusta has, Savannah has another. And for all appearances, both retail markets are growing at a healthy clip. To say Augusta is "so much better" than Savannah is not only wrong, it's childish and petty.

And if you want to deal in facts, how about this: According to the Census, Chatham County had over $4 billion in retail sales in 2007; Richmond and Columbia counties COMBINED only had $3.9 billion. Now explain to me again how Savannah retail "really isn't on par" with Augusta?
1. Definitely better shopping in downtown Savannah compared Augusta, but GAP and Banana Republic are normal stores..

2. The Oglethorpe Mall and definitely not the Savannah Mall(Burlington/Target) can compete against the Augusta mall.

3. Apple, Michael Kors, Cabela's, H&M, DSW, Costco, Sephora, Pandora, Jared Galleria of Jewelry, Clarks, Stride Rite, etc proves Augusta is ahead of Savannah. Even Columbia County managed to attract both Earthfare or regular stores like Academy Sports which aren't located in Savannah.

4. Augusta is the clear winner in terms of attracting national retailers.

5. 2007 was six years ago, but considering Savannah had 12 million visitors in 2011 that's not surprising about the retail sales.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
1. Definitely better shopping in downtown savannah compared augusta, but gap and banana republic are normal stores..

2. The oglethorpe mall and definitely not the savannah mall(burlington/target) can compete against the augusta mall.

3. Apple, michael kors, cabela's, h&m, dsw, costco, sephora, pandora, jared galleria of jewelry, clarks, stride rite, etc proves augusta is ahead of savannah. Even columbia county managed to attract both earthfare or regular stores like academy sports which aren't located in savannah.

4. Augusta is the clear winner in terms of attracting national retailers.

5. 2007 was six years ago, but considering savannah had 12 million visitors in 2011 that's not surprising about the retail sales.
Stride Rite? Lol ... (there's one in Oglethorpe Mall, FYI)

Look, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, just trying to help y'all understand that JUST BECAUSE Augusta may have a handful of national retailers that Savannah does not, that doesn't somehow put Augusta on some grand retail pedestal. The national retail markets of the two cities are remarkably similar. For example, Augusta has a Michael Kors. Savannah has a Kate Spade. They are almost identical retailers! For every store Augusta has, Savannah has another that compares. You want to talk Cabela? Savannah has a MUCH MUCH larger Bass Pro Shops. You want to talk Costco? Savannah has TWO Sam's Clubs. You want to talk Pandora? Savannah has Levy's Jewelers -- a LOCALLY OWNED chain who's flagship store at Bull and Broughton downtown contains a PANDORA DEPARTMENT! See how that works?

You brag about things like Whole Foods, Chipotle and Home Goods coming to Augusta and completely ignore the fact that Savannah already has those chains -- PLUS many others that Augusta does not have.

Bottom line is: Nobody in Savannah would trade the unique, local retail environment we have here for chains. Augusta can have all the chains it wants. If that's all you have to brag about, go for it. Savannah is so much BETTER than that.

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-11-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 06:23 PM

322 posts, read 586,187 times
Quote:
Stride Rite? Lol ... (there's one in Oglethorpe Mall, FYI)

Look, I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here, just trying to help y'all understand that JUST BECAUSE Augusta may have a handful of national retailers that Savannah does not, that doesn't somehow put Augusta on some grand retail pedestal. The national retail markets of the two cities are remarkably similar. For example, Augusta has a Michael Kors. Savannah has a Kate Spade. They are almost identical retailers! For every store Augusta has, Savannah has another that compares. You want to talk Cabela? Savannah has a MUCH MUCH larger Bass Pro Shops. You want to talk Costco? Savannah has TWO Sam's Clubs. You want to talk Pandora? Savannah has Levy's Jewelers -- a LOCALLY OWNED chain who's flagship store at Bull and Broughton downtown contains a PANDORA DEPARTMENT! See how that works?

You brag about things like Whole Foods, Chipotle and Home Goods coming to Augusta and completely ignore the fact that Savannah already has those chains -- PLUS many others that Augusta does not have.

Bottom line is: Nobody in Savannah would trade the unique, local retail environment we have here for chains. Augusta can have all the chains it wants. If that's all you have to brag about, go for it. Savannah is so much BETTER than that.
I wasn't trying to say that Augusta was on a grand retail pedestal by any means. Two Sam's clubs don't make a Cotsco. Augusta has Sam's club too so that wouldn't add up. The Windsor Jeweler stores in Augusta have pandora departments and Augusta has an actual store,so again not equal. You stated that having a hand full of national retailer doesn't put you above the other city. I agree, expect Augusta has more than a hand full. Unique environment it great and Savannah definitely has more of one,but high-end retail counts too,and Augusta just has more. I would also like to congratulate Savannah on building a third mall, because the other two are like strip malls compared to Augusta's. Maybe this one will bring in more high-end retail so that Savannah can have a mall that's on or near the level of Augusta's.

Last edited by -StarBright-; 11-11-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to say that Augusta was on a grand retail pedestal by any means. Two Sam's clubs don't make a Cotsco. Augusta has Sam's club too so that wouldn't add up. The Windsor Jeweler stores in Augusta have pandora departments and Augusta has an actual store,so again not equal. You stated that having a hand full of national retailer doesn't put you above the other city. I agree, expect Augusta has more than a hand full. Unique environment it great and Savannah definitely has more of one,but high-end retail counts too,and Augusta just has more. I would also like to congratulate Savannah on building a third mall, because the other two are like strip malls compared to Augusta's. Maybe this one will bring in more high-end retail so that Savannah can have a mall that's on or near the level of Augusta's.

QUOTE BY NORTONGUY:

"The Oglethorpe Mall ... can compete against the Augusta mall."

Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:

QUOTE BY NORTONGUY:

"The Oglethorpe Mall ... can compete against the Augusta mall."
He said "The Oglethorpe Mall and definitely not the Savannah Mall(Burlington/Target) can compete against the Augusta mall." That means that they can't. Trust me, malls with Burlington and target can't. Quote the whole quote next time.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
He said "The Oglethorpe Mall and definitely not the Savannah Mall(Burlington/Target) can compete against the Augusta mall." That means that they can't. Trust me, malls with Burlington and target can't. Quote the whole quote next time.
WHAT?! No! LOL ... you're impossible.

"The Oglethorpe Mall (and definitely not the Savannah Mall(Burlington/Target)) can compete against the Augusta mall."

What he's SAYING is, Oglethorpe Mall can compete with Augusta Mall, but Savannah Mall cannot. Which I entirely agree with.

You need to go back to school ... seriously.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
I was thinking about the comment after reading it again myself, because it might have a different meaning to some people. The Olglethorpe mall is nice, but it's not on the same level with the Augusta mall..

The Augusta mall has a enclose mall attached to the outdoor promenade..

Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
WHAT?! No! LOL ... you're impossible.

"The Oglethorpe Mall (and definitely not the Savannah Mall(Burlington/Target)) can compete against the Augusta mall."

What he's SAYING is, Oglethorpe Mall can compete with Augusta Mall, but Savannah Mall cannot. Which I entirely agree with.

You need to go back to school ... seriously.
You're reading the sentence wrong. He said that its not on the same level and can't compete. He just commented what he meant that that proves my point. Looks like you need to go back to school.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You're reading the sentence wrong. I have most likely had a lot more schooling than you.
I'm not reading the sentence wrong, Norton said what he said.

And I'm a 47 year old man, with multiple degrees and a 25-year career in journalism ... so no ... you have NOT had more schooling than me ... LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area