Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:50 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
No one ever said that ALL the stores in Augusta were discount stores but the PREPONDERANCE of them are. I mean how many Wal-mart super centers can you have in one metro area?? That is a simple fact. As far as Macy's and Dillard's go... they are certainly not discount stores.. but they I would not classify them as upscale. But in Augusta they are as upscale as you get. There is a reason why Augusta doesn't have a Bloomingdales, a Saks, a Niemen Marcus or even a Banana Republic... the market here just won't support those kinds of stores. Same for restaurants. We can get plenty of buffets, waffle houses ( there seems to be one one every block), Chili's , Cracker Barrels, Applebees and a few midprice casual chains like Red Lobster, Cheddars, Carolina Ale House, Bonefish etc.. BUt you won't find Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Cheesecake Factory, When an upscale place tries to take a stab at the Augusta market, 9 times out of 10 they fail.. and the word gets around.. that Augusta is more interested in affordability than paying more for higher quality.
I am frankly done with this thread because it is like beating a dead horse.
The amount of Walmart and discount stores as you put it is normal for a metro our size. And there are more upscale restaurants Than buffets. Augusta is too small a market to support Bloomingdales. The fact of the matter is most of the stores In the mall are NOT discount stores as you put it nor are the ones in surrey center, and several other west Augusta shopping centers. And only a few "upscale" stores have closed and in each case all of the companies are struggling.

Last edited by PJA; 02-16-2017 at 03:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 05:28 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
The amount of Walmart and discount stores as you put it is normal for a metro our size. And there are more upscale restaurants Than buffets.
If this is what you think, then I think your definition of "upscale" is vastly different than the rest of the world's...

Old 02-16-2017, 06:26 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
If this is what you think, then I think your definition of "upscale" is vastly different than the rest of the world's...
Nope. I known of about 13 all you can eat buffets In the area (if there are more please let me know). I'll name 13 upscale restaurants. Olivianas, finch and fifth, cadwalladers cafe, French market, Calvert, frog hollow tavern, Abel brown, augustinos, craft and vine, fuse, Ephesus, malias, sole Augusta. And in case there are more than 13, miyabi, rose hill estate, and Edgar's.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 AM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
Can somebody name how many title pawns are on Gordon Highway between the River and Bobby Jones.... That'll show how upscale things are..

Old 02-16-2017, 07:46 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
Can somebody name how many title pawns are on Gordon Highway between the River and Bobby Jones.... That'll show how upscale things are..
Probably a lot. But even Beverly Hills has title pawns so not sure how that proves there aren't upscale businesses in town.

Not to mention that area is nowhere near where Whole Foods is located.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM

My point exactly... I think a title pawn in the former Whole Foods location would be a great asset for the the Motel 6 and Knights Inn clientele...

Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
a title pawn would probably be successful there. O and yes there are far more upscale restaurants in Augusta than buffets, waffle houses, fast food places etc. Yeah, right. Heck you have more Waffle HOuses on one street than you have all the true "upscale restaurants in the entire city

Old 02-16-2017, 12:12 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
a title pawn would probably be successful there. O and yes there are far more upscale restaurants in Augusta than buffets, waffle houses, fast food places etc. Yeah, right. Heck you have more Waffle HOuses on one street than you have all the true "upscale restaurants in the entire city
I thought you were done with this thread. No where did I ever say there were more upscale restaurants than waffle houses fast food places buffets etc. you would probably be hard pressed to find a metro area with more upscale restaurants than all of those combined. I specifically said buffets so please don't put words in my posts.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Can someone name the buffet restaurants in the metro, because I will love to go them. If you know please help me because I cant dont know only about 3 or 4 I think.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Bobby's BBQ
BJ's
DeShawn's
Harvest Table
Hibachi Grill Augusta West Parkway
Great Chow (Across from Augusta Mall)
Golden Corral
Doubletree Lunch Buffet
Pizza Joint Lunch Buffet
Pizza Hut Lunch Buffet

Get the idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area