Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM

110 posts, read 320,967 times

Advertisements

Agreed, calling centers aren't the grand prize we're looking for. But I think its giving Augusta some momentum and other companies will start giving Augusta a second look.

Augusta already has a base of engineers and technical minds from the base, SRS, and reserchers at the medical college. Some businesses have already been spinning off from those establishments. Augusta has benefited from SRS, the medical college and the base (both from the jobs and the people they brought), but does need to become less dependent on them. Which is what the mayor is attempting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Share the wealth? The metro Atlanta area sends more to the state in tax revenue than it receives back...all to build pork barrel projects like boll weevil museums and golf hall of fames. Atlanta is where it is because of progressive thinking early in its history.. instead of adopting the notion that change is bad and should be feared. Atlanta had visionary leaders like Hartsfield(believed it could be a world airport hub) to Ivan Allen, who brough major league sports to townm even Maynard Jackson who forged a relationship with the business community to promote Atlanta as a destination for corporate America and building one of the largest convention centers and trade marts in north america. YOu have ppl like Billy Payne who dreamed big and brought the Olympics to Atlanta. You have philanthropists like Robert Woodruff, and Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank who reinvested millions back into the city. Atlanta earned what it has.. it doesn't owe the rest of the state any wealth sharing dividends.
In regards to sharing the wealth, state leaders need to help promote company relocations and job growth in Georgia's other cities. Georgia is too off balance when it comes to economic growth. Georgia needs to be more like North Carolina when it comes to state job growth. Atlanta hogs it all. There can't be one person on this forum who would disagree.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,893 times
the state has already done that.. having moved many state offices outside of Atlanta to places like Macon. The Kia plant is being built in Lagrange
But its really up to the various local governments to promote and invest in themselves to make themselves more attractive places for business.. especially corporate headquarters. It takes visionary leaders in the private and public sector.. I just don't see these visionaries emergig in places like Macon, Columbus, Albany, and Augusta.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 PM

8 posts, read 35,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusDoc View Post
There is a lot of truth in that statement.
Nearly all retail and restaurants were all over georgia before they came to Columbus.
I have heard this from many local residents who laugh when they read in the paper or news about a fantastic new business coming to town that they have been to countless times on visits outside the city.
There is more than truth to that statment its reality. I challenge anybody from columbus, macon, or savannah. To visit augusta mall and see all the new stores and improvements. They have a outside promenade with tons of new stores and resturants that is connected to the mall. But it has its own seperate area away from the mall. Which makes the mall very unique from other malls in the united states. It has a large open air lifestyle center connected to a enclosed mall. I saw stores that only atlanta has in georgia. Augusta is alot ahead of macon, savannah, and columbus when it comes to speciality retail.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
IMAX theaters are now becoming what stadium seating theaters were 12 years ago.... commonplace. IMAX theaters are being planned in Macon, Savannah.. and Columbus as we speak.. not just Augusta. They have been in metro Atlanta for years.
That's not totally true. Look at the number of cities that have a movie theater than look at the number of cities that have an IMAX. Huge difference my friend.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysays View Post
There is more than truth to that statment its reality. I challenge anybody from columbus, macon, or savannah. To visit augusta mall and see all the new stores and improvements. They have a outside promenade with tons of new stores and resturants that is connected to the mall. But it has its own seperate area away from the mall. Which makes the mall very unique from other malls in the united states. It has a large open air lifestyle center connected to a enclosed mall. I saw stores that only atlanta has in georgia. Augusta is alot ahead of macon, savannah, and columbus when it comes to speciality retail.
Well buddy i hate to burst you bubble but Macon has a new upscale 750,000 sq ft open-air stand alone mall(www.shoppesatrivercrossing.com) which opened this past march that has most of the same stores and phase two of the project opens in Oct. Also under construction is
Providence Village NorthMaconRetailWorks of Georgia, Inc. is huge mixed used project very similar to Atlantic station which will includes hotels, loft/residential and Retail that will bring even more Atlanta like new upscale stores to North Macon.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:13 PM

937 posts, read 864,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Well buddy i hate to burst you bubble but Macon has a new upscale 750,000 sq ft open-air stand alone mall(www.shoppesatrivercrossing.com) which opened this past march that has most of the same stores and phase two of the project opens in Oct. Also under construction is
Providence Village NorthMaconRetailWorks of Georgia, Inc. is huge mixed used project very similar to Atlantic station which will includes hotels, loft/residential and Retail that will bring even more Atlanta like new upscale stores to North Macon.
It's seems that Macon has a lot of construction going on. How, it also seems that the developers don't really have a comprehensive plan. With a city of over 90,000+, a market of its size may become oversaturated with all the retail projects. That's what happen to Augusta. The Village at Riverwatch started construction in 2005, and the Augusta Mall expansion started that same year. I think on the Fall of 2006, construction stopped on The Village at Riverwatch. My point being is that the developers may want to scale down and maybe postpone on one of the projects. I don't know. Never been to Macon, it may turn out differently.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
You want to shove your city developments in other peoples faces then i'll shove ours in yours just to make life fair: Magnolia Park Shopping Mall in Greenville, South Carolina Apple, Cheesecake Factory, Trader Joes, Costco, IMAX, REI, Z Gallerie, etc. You want to talk about a huge mixed use development? Ok fine. Let's talk about a 4,500,000 square foot one: Greenberg Farrow and http://www.greenbergfarrow.com/news.asp?id=1 (broken link) Quit acting like Macon is better and has more development going on than every other city when it's not and doesn't. Now I don't want to see anymore arguing between you guys over which city is better seeing how one is not any better than the other. Each one is special and has their own thing going on which is great IMO.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-25-2008 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
You want to shove your city developments in other peoples faces then i'll shove ours in yours just to make life fair: Magnolia Park Shopping Mall in Greenville, South Carolina Apple, Cheesecake Factory, Trader Joes, Costco, IMAX, REI, Z Gallerie, etc. You want to talk about a huge mixed use development? Ok fine. Let's talk about a 4,500,000 square foot one: Greenberg Farrow and Greenberg Farrow (http://www.greenbergfarrow.com/news.asp?id=1 - broken link) Quit acting like Macon is better and has more development going on than every other city when it's not and doesn't. Now I don't want to see anymore arguing between you guys over which city is better seeing how one is not any better than the other. Each one is special and has their own thing going on which is great IMO.
Agreed, cities are all special....I think Macon and Augusta and Columbus and Savannah all rock. Even Albany's pretty cool. I have to ask one question, though...

Why are you so agitated about a city in South Carolina on a Georgia City Data forum?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Agreed, cities are all special....I think Macon and Augusta and Columbus and Savannah all rock. Even Albany's pretty cool. I have to ask one question, though...

Why are you so agitated about a city in South Carolina on a Georgia City Data forum?
Because I didn't want to see you guys argue anymore. If I post stuff going on in Greenville, maybe it would cause you guys to go bash me instead of bash each other. See what I do to help out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area