Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 AM

250 posts, read 580,472 times

Advertisements

man this got off topic quick....i would be interested in finding out more about the building of the expressway....and to be quite frank the cause of the civil war was all of the above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:44 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,474 times
Well, I figured I'd revive a dead thread. I don't know much about the Calhoun Expressway, only that it was named for John C. Calhoun, and that I've occasionally heard it referred to as the 'road to nowhere'. Anyone else have any info?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM

937 posts, read 1,800,656 times
lol road to nowhere thats a first lol!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,474 times
I've been looking into the reason for the construction of Calhoun for awhile now, still haven't found much, but I have found some things.

From what I've been able to piece together, I'm thinking that it was built as a way of connecting Washington Road directly to the heart of downtown and bypassing Harrisburg. I also believe that the elevated portion was constructed to allow traffic flow directly into downtown bypassing the railroad tracks.

Apparently though, Calhoun was originally going to be a much longer limited access highway that was going to somehow run between the Augusta County Club and the Augusta National, bypassing the congestion on Washington Road and actually connecting to I-20, but this plan never materialized. I also think that I remember reading somewhere that the elevated portion was also supposed to connect to Broad Street near 13th instead of connecting directly to Greene.
The best-laid plans for highway trends often go awry | The Augusta Chronicle

Also, I've found that the reason Riverwatch Parkway was built was to relieve traffic on Washington Road and Calhoun Expy. by making an easier route for people coming from Columbia County into downtown.

So, I've got about 90% of the story pieced together, but I'm still working on that last 10%.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 02-18-2010 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-08-2023, 03:39 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,531,234 times
At this point they should've built an interchange for river watch
or create an elevated expressway over Washington Rd and connect it to Calhoun
I know many Anti Highway people would hate that lol

Old 11-12-2023, 08:40 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,825 times
The Calhoun Expressway should be lower to at grade and turned into a landscaped boulevard similar to how Greene St runs through Downtown or even Central Ave through Summerville. With the growth in Downtown, something that could be used as a Main St type of vibe would do wonders for Harrisburg especially if you add shops and restaurants along it.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:52 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealpattman View Post
The Calhoun Expressway should be lower to at grade and turned into a landscaped boulevard similar to how Greene St runs through Downtown or even Central Ave through Summerville. With the growth in Downtown, something that could be used as a Main St type of vibe would do wonders for Harrisburg especially if you add shops and restaurants along it.
That would mean destructing 3 bridges and quite a long stretch of elevated freeway, aside from the earth moving to lower the rest of it. I'm not sure the excessive cost of doing that would be worth the longshot of an end result.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:21 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,531,234 times
I’m sticking with elevated expressway over Washington Rd lol

Old 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy View Post
Who labeled them as racist's? More than likely someone with an agenda.

The civil war wasn't about slavery, that was Federal propaganda. It was about land/property/control.

If you don't believe that, look at the current situation this country is in.
The civil war was definitely about slavery at least from the south’s end. In each of the southern states declarations of secession them wanting to protect slavery was listed as the reason for secession.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:49 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,136 times
Georgia’s articles of secession. http://civildiscourse-historyblog.co...uments-georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area