Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times

Advertisements

I found two commercial permits from May 21, 2011... The 18k sq. ft. Cherry Street shopping center in West Augusta is about to start construction.. They started clearing the land on the property around the end of April..

Also, some kind of retail store in opening at Southgate in South Augusta...

Clark Construction Co. Services Inc.; SAP Augusta LLC, 113 Cherry St., Augusta; commercial building, value unavailable

McCay Kinchin Associates; Southgate Aug Equities LLC, 1631 Gordon Highway, Augusta; renovations, value unavailable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,264 times
I will like to see a Ruby Tuesday, Chick fil a, target but I will like to see different shopping stores and restaurants then west augusta. For augusta to go to the next level they have to focus more on south augusta. It seem like when Regency Mall had close we went alway from south augusta. Everybody know if Regency Mall didn't get those fake report in the augusta chronicle over over and over again south augusta would have pass west augusta with everything.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Denny's is opening a 24 hour restaurant in South Augusta very soon... The restaurant is located on Peach Orchard near Windsor Spring... I definitely think Target, Chick Fil A, and Ruby Tuesday will located in the same area.. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose the property featured in the link below.
http://augustaeda.com/pdf/Windsor%20Spring%20Road%20Site.pdf (broken link)

Well luckily the city has splost money, gateway grants, and transportation grants, set aside for the Regency Mall area... The splost money is creating a lake near the Regency mall... Some leaders in Augusta are working to have the building demolished hopefully by this year..

I doubt South Augusta would have passed West Augusta because of the demographics... There's alot more upper middle class neighborhoods in West Augusta.. The older South Augusta where Regency Mall is located(mainly inner 520) is working class/lower middle class... The newer South Augusta(Diamond Lakes, Goshen, South Lake Estates, the part of Brown rd not in Hephzibah, Willis Foreman rd, etc) is where the disposable income is... Plant Vogtle will help drive new home construction in South Augusta.. If the $50 million waterfront development hurrys up and starts construction.. Will see ALOT more commercial construction taking place in South Augusta..

"Janksowski Properties LLC is in the process of completing a master plan for a 306 acre tract on the Savannah River just upstream from the Lock and Dam. The plan includes a marina, some commercial development and potentially 500 residential units."
polkyellowsheet
Proposed new development near Lock and Dam Park (http://www.wrdw.com/politics/headlines/90789364.html - broken link)

Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,810 times
$50 million dollar waterfront project??

Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM

Peoples from west augusta don't have a lot to waste because they focus on paying high mortgages. Trying to live in area were they can't afford. Look at all the houses up for sale. Yes they might have lower annual income then west augusta but if one lose his or her job the bills still get paid. If you try that in west augusta your house will be up for sale. South augusta generate the most money in augusta but we have the less. I guess the game goes take from south augusta give it to west augusta.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM

250 posts, read 580,545 times
In my opinion everything moves to West Augusta simply because of location. If you are only going to build one location in the CSRA where would you build it? West Augusta. Its proximity to interstates makes it appealing and of you are going to shade to one side of the metro it would have to be Columbia County due to median income. The comment about not having disposable income because of higher mortgages is not a valid one in my opinion. The bottom line is the income is higher in Columbia County so companies are going to locate their businesses in that direction. As companies feel the need to open up multiple locations in the CSRA then you will see South Augusta get more. But as far as West Augusta taking away from South Augusta I just dont see it

Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Default Some South Augusta Restaurant Owners Say They Were Left Off Of Brochure

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmans77 View Post
In my opinion everything moves to West Augusta simply because of location. If you are only going to build one location in the CSRA where would you build it? West Augusta. Its proximity to interstates makes it appealing and of you are going to shade to one side of the metro it would have to be Columbia County due to median income. The comment about not having disposable income because of higher mortgages is not a valid one in my opinion. The bottom line is the income is higher in Columbia County so companies are going to locate their businesses in that direction. As companies feel the need to open up multiple locations in the CSRA then you will see South Augusta get more. But as far as West Augusta taking away from South Augusta I just dont see it
The Augusta Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) is preparing for hundreds of new faces during the summer travel season. A newly-released brochure highlights some of the city's restaurants. But some say one of the most populated areas was left out! The CVB put the guide together to reflect where a visitor might be staying. But, when you take a look you'll find a section for downtown Augusta, Summerville, west Augusta, and even a section called "OTHER". So, what happened to the south Augusta section? The CVB says that there aren't very many hotels in south Augusta, currently, so hopefully maybe some would come online...if there are more hotels where visitors are staying. But, one staple restaurant in south Augusta that is in the guide says it's great to be mentioned but the area in which her restaurant resides needs recognition, as well. Pat Shaffer, co-owner of Villa Europa: "South Augusta was once the hub of business in the Augusta area. People would come from everywhere to come to south Augusta. Now, when you say south Augusta to people that are new to town, sometimes people are discouraged to come to this part of town. So, I do have mixed feelings about that." After seeing the concern about the issue...the CVB tells us it will change the brochure and add south Augusta to the restaurant list.

This was on the news today now you see what am talking about south augusta getting left behind. When we the ones that making augusta runs.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 PM

250 posts, read 580,545 times
I saw that news report. I dont know numbers off the top of my head but it would be interesting to see how many hotels are in south augusta.Its just the nature of the beast, cities build and they grow old. New places become hot and then they cool off. I can remember when south augusta was the place to be. Heck I remember when Sears was downtown in the MCG building. But things change and when youre talking business its all about the money.
And the whole CSRA makes the whole CSRA run....

Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,761 times
amlovingit, neither the city nor the public has much of a say in where a private business decides to locate. All the city does is zone the land, they can zone and build infrastructure for businesses in South Augusta all day long, but as long as there's space in West Augusta, that's where they're going to go because of 1) access to I20 and I520, and 2) the high incomes of West Augusta and Columbia County. South Augusta may have nice neighborhoods being built, but it also has a lot of lower income people as well, when you compare South and West Augusta, the demographics for West Augusta are more attractive to developers, hence the reason why everything goes there.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,810 times
And when the space is gone in west Augusta, that's when the sprawl to Columbia county will really begin, or the high rise buildings will appear on the west side. Most high rises are the effect of high demand in a certain area and not enough space to support said business. Long story short. When the west side becomes scariest on land the south side still won't see any development ( that's just a personal opinion) Truth be told when the regency went under so did south Augusta. Yes there is someone a boost of live in the southgate shopping center but that's about it. Let's get a target across the street from southgate when that old motel is, and a Dave and buster that's a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area