Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,786 times

Advertisements

I just moved to North Austin (near where 183 and MoPac meet) from Midland and I'm getting frusterated with the recycling here. I live in an apartment so I dont get curbside pickup, and I'm hesitant to drive all the way downtown just to take my recycling!

I came here from Midland where there were dropoff bins at HEB and the Wal-Marts and also most of the schools. Why don't they have that sort of thing here? Does anyone have any suggestions for where to take my recycles that doesn't require driving ten miles? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
BFI has a recycling place right off Metric Blvd (very close to 183/Mopac). The address is 10420 Metric Blvd. It's on the left as you're headed north on Metric from 183 and it's kind of hard to find - there's a little sign sticking out of the ground that says BFI and points towards a driveway. As far as I know, it's still free and open to the public.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM

99 posts, read 180,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerson View Post
I just moved to North Austin (near where 183 and MoPac meet) from Midland and I'm getting frusterated with the recycling here. I live in an apartment so I dont get curbside pickup, and I'm hesitant to drive all the way downtown just to take my recycling!

I came here from Midland where there were dropoff bins at HEB and the Wal-Marts and also most of the schools. Why don't they have that sort of thing here? Does anyone have any suggestions for where to take my recycles that doesn't require driving ten miles? thanks!
In Austin, a city ordinance was passed that says apartment communities with over 100 residents has to offer recycling. You might want to ask if it has over 100 residents. I take my glass recycling to work. You argument has been voiced here in Austin in the past. My condo complex does not recycle glass, but accepts plastic, aluminum and paper.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
CAPCOG has an interactive map of recycling locations:

CAPCOG » In the News

I also never realized that there are locations to take used and expired medications. At least that way they don't get flushed and end up in the water supply.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerson View Post
I just moved to North Austin (near where 183 and MoPac meet) !
Just for grins, I was going to offer the use of our recycling bin but we are apparently in NORTH NORTH Austin or WAY NORTH Austin, since we are +-8 miles north of you and are still within the city limits.

In other words, it might be interesting to check out some of the previous threads about the 'boundaries' of North Austin, NW Austin, East Austin, etc. Just sayin'. We're still figuring it out after two years here.

BTW, I know of some paper and cardboard recycling at schools along Duval and Amhurst, a bit north of you. Not sure about the other materials, however.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,786 times
Moonlady - Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Muzzle - My complex has a bin for plastic but it's overflowing and I haven't seen it in any other state since I've moved here. It's pretty shameful.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,962 times
I have the same problem I'm about to drive to Ecology Action which is downtown just to drop off a bunch of glass, I also live in a North Austin Apt. complex "Colonial Village" and they only have a few bins for plastic, paper and aluminum only for the whole complex which has over 500 units I'm told !
I've asked them in the past why we don't get all recycling here and they just give me a standard scripted answer "we're looking into it or something, blah blah" what really annoys me too is that I pay double trash fees, we pay a trash fee through the apt. complex and then my electricity bill also contains a trash fee but they can't recycle here? its really annoying

Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM

293 posts, read 730,459 times
If you're talking about a $5 solid waste fee on your electricity bill that is not for your personal garbage. It is for street sweeping, dead animal collection and a couple other things in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: