Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM

20 posts, read 72,306 times

Advertisements

Still house hunting. I've been looking in northwest austin, but I've recently started considering homes in the Westlake area. I know absolutely nothing about the area except that the schools are excellent. Can anyone give me some practical information? I've noticed a lot of homes have septic systems and use propane rather than natural gas. What are the pros and cons of each? Where does the area get its garbage, water, and electricity? Should I stick to NW Austin or is Westlake worth looking into? Any help you can provide is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 AM

308 posts, read 1,467,908 times
Homes in westlake are typically older than in NW Austin. Westwood is not bad either.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
A couple of things:

There is "West Lake Hills" (the small incorporated city) and "Westlake" (which is the name of the surrounding general area, within the Eanes district, and also the name of the school). Westlake includes the incorporated town of Rollingwood, as well as many unincorporated areas along 360 and adjacent to the city of West Lake Hills.

Inside West Lake Hills, and in one older Westlake area (off Cuernavaca) there are some older homes on septic as I understand. Don't know about the gas/propane. However, in the Westlake area (when you include many of the surrounding subdivisions), most of the homes are NOT on septic and use regular piped in natural gas. Examples like Davenport, Rob Roy, Lost Creek, etc... all normal nat gas (TXGas), Austin Energy (electricity), and no septic systems. Garbage, at least in Lost Creek, is IESI.

Pros of Westlake are proximity to downtown Austin, Lake Austin/Ladybird Lake/Zilker, school district is the acclaimed Eanes ISD, low property tax rates, hills and views, generally stable property values because of location.

Cons are price (really need 400K at least, even for an older home), lack of big box retail other than the Barton Creek Mall (this may be a plus), lack of diversity (esp income diversity), not walkable (except maybe for excercise).

If it fits your budget, I'd say it's definitely worth looking into. If you are finding only septic/propane homes when you search in Westlake, you are doing something wrong in your search.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Just a comment about property taxes in West Lake Hills - the rates ARE low (~1.9%), but because of the property values, the annual bill is probably similar or higher than what someone might pay in northwest hills.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobelly View Post
Still house hunting. I've been looking in northwest austin, but I've recently started considering homes in the Westlake area. I know absolutely nothing about the area except that the schools are excellent. Can anyone give me some practical information? I've noticed a lot of homes have septic systems and use propane rather than natural gas. What are the pros and cons of each? Where does the area get its garbage, water, and electricity? Should I stick to NW Austin or is Westlake worth looking into? Any help you can provide is much appreciated!
westlake is one of the premier communities in austin. The only real downsides are price, lack of diversity and maybe a bit too much affluence. If it is in your price range, then you should definitely look at it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Just a comment about property taxes in West Lake Hills - the rates ARE low (~1.9%), but because of the property values, the annual bill is probably similar or higher than what someone might pay in northwest hills.
As long as the property values are realistic (as in that's what you can really sell the home for), I'd gladly take the lower rate and higher value over the opposite.

But NW Hills (in Austin ISD) isn't bad on the rates either, IMO. About 2.28% I think.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
westlake is one of the premier communities in austin. The only real downsides are price, lack of diversity and maybe a bit too much affluence. If it is in your price range, then you should definitely look at it.
Actually, if you compare some parts of the Westlake area to parts of 78704, the housing is cheaper and the location is just as convenient as Central Austin.

I live in Woodhaven. Since Jan 2009, the average sold price is $396K for a avg size home of 2182 sqft. That's $184 per sqft.

I'm 0.4 miles from a bus stop, 10 min walking distance to three schools and a killer library, and 12 minutes walk to the coffee shop, yogurt shop, restaurants, etc. where we frequently run into people we know.

Compare that to 78704, MLS area 7 to be more specific (Barton Hills) and the avg price per sqft is about $230, which would make the comparable sized home cost $500K. You don't hear the "affluent" label pointed toward people in 78704, yet someone living a much more frugal lifestyle in Westlake is assumed to be affluent because of the broader reputation.

With regard to diversity, our neighborhood has both older retired people with kids up and gone, and a ton of school age kids and typical families. Many of my neighbors are foreign born, so I'm not sure the "not diverse" label applies either. I have a more diverse set of neighbors now than we ever did in Oak Hill.

Steve

Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Well, if you look at census data for 78704 versus 78746, there is no comparison! 78746 is infinitely more affluent. 20% of 78746 has a household income above $200,000! 3% are considered living in poverty, and the zip is 88% white.

Only 1.4% of all households in 78704 make over $200,000, 15% live below the poverty line, and white folk make up 57% of the zip's population!

Yes, of course there are frugal people in Westlake, and if you live in the right location you can have similar access to city amenities like 78704, but come on! Westlake = affluent, comparing Woodhaven to Barton Hills as a reflection of the larger area is a bit disingenuous. Even if we drilled down to comparing specific census tracts, given the high number of rentals in all of 04, I'd bet that Woodhaven would still be more affluent as a whole than Barton Hills.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Actually, if you compare some parts of the Westlake area to parts of 78704, the housing is cheaper and the location is just as convenient as Central Austin.

I live in Woodhaven. Since Jan 2009, the average sold price is $396K for a avg size home of 2182 sqft. That's $184 per sqft.

I'm 0.4 miles from a bus stop, 10 min walking distance to three schools and a killer library, and 12 minutes walk to the coffee shop, yogurt shop, restaurants, etc. where we frequently run into people we know.

Compare that to 78704, MLS area 7 to be more specific (Barton Hills) and the avg price per sqft is about $230, which would make the comparable sized home cost $500K. You don't hear the "affluent" label pointed toward people in 78704, yet someone living a much more frugal lifestyle in Westlake is assumed to be affluent because of the broader reputation.

With regard to diversity, our neighborhood has both older retired people with kids up and gone, and a ton of school age kids and typical families. Many of my neighbors are foreign born, so I'm not sure the "not diverse" label applies either. I have a more diverse set of neighbors now than we ever did in Oak Hill.

Steve
I have got to live in your neighborhood, Steve. It does sound like exactly what we are looking for. Hopefully next summer

Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
Im comparing against NW as the original poster requested. You could include 78704, but I would say the same things apply to 78704 except it doesnt have the upside of great schools.

The neighborhood is less diverse, anecdotes like I have foreign born neighbors notwithstanding. Im not judging whether that is good or bad, it is up to the original poster to determine that. Look at demographic stats and you will see that compared to NW austin (specifically great hills and the areas that feed into westwood) it is less diverse. You can also look at the stats for westwood vs westlake to see that westlake is significantly less diverse. Westwood is already less diverse than the city of austin overall.

westlake
white = 82%
African Amer = 1%
Hispanic=7%
Asian=9%
Amer Ind = 1%
Total 18%

Westwood
white = 65%
Afr amer=4%
Hispanic = 9%
Asian = 22%
Total = 35%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin