Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

134 posts, read 491,361 times

Advertisements

If any other city could lure you away from Austin, which one would it be and why? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:09 PM

52 posts, read 152,942 times
I will always call Austin my home, because this city is just amazing to me. I currently live in San Antonio for college and though I enjoy it, I really miss Austin.

If I had to leave Austin, I would go to probably Seattle or Boston. I like them because they are both liberal cities with a sophisticated population, and the weather is cooler.... And call me weird, but I would prefer 0* over 100* any day!!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,381 times
Flagstaff, AZ - so pretty and it gets some snow.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Flagstaff, AZ - so pretty and it gets some snow.
It is pretty no doubt. But common, "it gets some snow"! That is like saying "New Orleans gets some rain".

It gets more snow then most places in Wyoming where I grew up. I know because my Dad used to fantastize about moving from Wyoming to Flagstaff until he heard about a record snowfall they had that beat anything we had lived with in Wyoming. He later moved to Pheoniz.

Flagstaff snowfall.

I have already lived in lots of different places in the US including Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, California, Arizona, hitchhiked through Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana, and travelled extensively in Utah, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska, Arkansas, South and North Dakota, Oklahoma, Kansas, New York, New Jersey, Chicago, Florida, Mexico, Puerto Rico, AND the US and British Virgin Islands. I could move to and live anyplace I wanted to, but I am quite happy living here in Austin, TX.

If I had to pick one place to move to it would be to a sailboat somewhere along the West coast of Florida.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-20-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,108 times
I don't think that anyone would disagree that there are many places that are more desirable than the Austin area. Personally, I would move back to coastal San Diego because the weather there really is perfect about 325 days per year. Unfortunately, the cost of housing reflects the near perfect weather in coastal San Diego. (My definition of "perfect weather" is 60 to 80 degrees where you can do just about any outdoor activity comfortably.)

Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM

589 posts, read 1,813,393 times
If the economy was better, I would move back to Sacramento in a heartbeat. It has much in common with Austin but the one thing Sacramento has hands down that is indisputably better is good weather. Yes, it has 100+ degree days in summer but the humidity combined with those temps are just unbearable here in Austin.

I am having a difficult time adjusting to staying indoors ALL SUMMER LONG. To me, summer means early morning bike rides and cool evening strolls. I am super homesick for the act of throwing open my windows in the evening and turning the whole house fan on to let fresh cool delta breezes freshen the air of my home.

Also homesick for weekend trips to the Northern California Coast where I would have to bring a sweater to keep the chill at bay (no pun intended). It is oyster season along the northern California Coast right now and I'm here in Texas sweltering. Sigh!!!!

Oh, and on my way to the coast, I would stop in Napa Valley and taste some lovely wine.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM

399 posts, read 974,794 times
Highly doubtful. I really have no idea where else I would go. Austin is about the right size for me; NYC, Houston, etc. are nice to visit, but living there would make me a nervous wreck. I also can't tolerate cold weather - below 60 and I turn on the heat, below 50, and I won't leave the house if I can help it.

And I couldn't stand living somewhere any smaller than Austin, either - I need to be able to meet other gay people and other Buddhists, and that would be difficult, to say the least, in smaller towns.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 PM

134 posts, read 491,361 times
I am from Seattle and I would never go back. I love Austin, but I am not sure this is where we will settle. So many other places also intrigue me. I am a bit of a wandering spirit too and I like change......time will tell. I do miss being surrounded by water so that may eventually call me to one coast or the other.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
I would move back to Philly in a heartbeat. I would also move to San Francisco.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_ly View Post
If any other city could lure you away from Austin, which one would it be and why? Just curious.
No, I can't think of a better place to live forever.

That said, if the Austin city government ruins the city through over-regulation nanny laws and wasteful spending and higher taxes, I might say "enough is enough" and look for another great college town to retire to.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin