Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 AM

32 posts, read 129,500 times

Advertisements

Austin is a south Texan boom town as I heard. Many new companies were founded there and many people are movin there: famous person (celebrities) and just "normal" guys like you and I.
I visited Austin during a road trip from Dallas to LA last october, my thoughts were that it's a cool southern town, there are cool bars with live-music (what I like as I'm playing in a band too), but I didn't realize what makes that town so outstanding.

What do you think make so many people wanting to move to Austin? Is it the climate, the business or employee situation, are the residents more friendly than in other cities? I would be happy to read your thoughts about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 AM

370 posts, read 999,617 times
Me ...

Cost of Living - No State Taxes
Cost of Housing - See California ?????
Music Scence - love live music
People - Much more down to earth, friendlier, than other places I lived
Tech job market - that's what I do
Weather - Californians may freak at this, but try the North East

Unexpected things ...

FOOD - Man, I have never eaten so much really good food, and it's cheap

Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 AM

32 posts, read 129,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
Me ...

Unexpected things ...

Good points, but doesn't that apply to other southern cities (New Orleans, San Antonio, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, ....)?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Google Richard Florida and read about "creative class cities"

Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian2009 View Post
Good points, but doesn't that apply to other southern cities (New Orleans, San Antonio, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, ....)?
I'd say it's because Austin is in Texas, which is the second most populous state and the fastest growing nationwide. The same rapid growth Austin experiences is happening ALL the big Texas cities. In fact, the other cities exceed Austin in terms of # of people moving there -- and sometimes by rate of growth, too. McAllen, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth -- though they don't appear on every top 10 list -- are all growing just as fast or faster. So, ask yourself why all the people are moving to those other cities.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,490 times
Quote:
No, not on the point about housing costs. Texas housing is really really cheap. Much cheaper than other Southern States in cities of comprable size. Austin is expensive as far as the housing market goes in Texas, and it is STILL a fraction of what you would play in New Orleans (even after the destruction), Santa Fe, Tuscon etc etc etc.

This is comparing apples to apples of course. You could find a 50K house in New orleans and a 800K house in Austin, but they would not be comprable. So don't spam me with "my cousin lives in a tent 60 miles outside of Santa Fe and it only cost him $15 dollar" arguments about how Austin housing is more expensive.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
I would only consider San Antonio out of the list above for the same reasons stated by rickc007. San Diego is great, but the cost of housing is very expensive. The cost of housing in Phoenix is also more than the Austin area and the public schools aren't as good in the suburbs. Tucson isn't as much of a city and has the same school problem. New Orleans has too much crime. Those are just my opinions, but that's why those places were ruled out for us when moving from California to the Austin area. I think if you add low crime along with good public schools to the list, it narrows it down for more people as well.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
Me ...

Unexpected things ...

This sums it up nicely, at least for us.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:34 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
The word is out there. People are very interested in Austin. I got my hair cut today and the barber asked where I am from (Houston), and we ended up talking about...Austin. I always get, and I quote "I've heard a lot about Austin..." when I say I'm from Texas. I tell people it's been hyped up, but it's all in all a fun place.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,021,687 times
Quote:
New Orleans
poor and less educated
Quote:
San Antonio
too big, apathetic, less educated
Quote:
Phoenix
see San Antonio
Quote:
Tucson
too small and remote
Quote:
San Diego
still too expensive - how do you create a dynamic city when only retirees can afford to move there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin