Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Is it going to blow up like an action movie (mind you, it is several feet underground)? The only *real* concern is environmental, and that is a large area effect (aquifer) rather than a local effect..
HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History
Stuff like that isn't just in action movies. They do explode if not properly maintained - just ask the three families that lost their kids to the explosion just over a decade ago in Bellingham WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 PM

35 posts, read 124,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Agents don't disclose information, sellers do. Sellers are mandated in Texas to disclose those items listed on the TREC promulgated Seller's Disclosure form (or the more detailed TAR, or the even more detailed 8-page ABOR forms), nothing more.

None of those forms ask about or mention gas pipelines. So, no. It's not "disclosed" because it's not a required disclosure.
Whether an above ground gas pipeline is in the disclosure list or not, if I am aware that there is a gas pipeline nearby then I am going to make sure that my Buyer is aware of it. Then the Buyer can make the decision if it is a concern to him/her or not.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 AM

302 posts, read 690,588 times
Any of you folk read Community Impact? They had an article about this last year.

http://impactnews.com/southwest-austin/139-inside-information/9456-houston-to-el-paso-pipeline

This pipeline goes through multiple neighborhoods. However, based on the map they show, it's pretty much across Slaughter lane. It is used for refined diesel fuel. Where'd the "jet fuel" thing come from? Seriously...

Also, they're looking into converting it back to crude, prob due to liability issues, since this thing goes through many, many neighborhoods.

Regarless, I'm aso a nimby kind of guy (aren't we all?), but saying there likely isn't something like it around where everyone lives is a bit shortminded.

Just having gas pipelines running around to each house can be a risk. This would be why when there's a gas leak they evacuate a very large area. Risk is that if there is a spark, it could cause a huge conflagration. I saw the after effects of what happened when a regular gas line failed back in some old buildings near college. Lets just say regular gas is plenty destructive. We've just learned to live with it, because risk of failure is very, very low.

So, do we love the fact that it's there? No, not really. Can we do anything about it? Nope. Is it enough to dissuade someone from buying a house? Don't know... I'd just remind everyone that there could be something much worse near where you live. And like most folk, we're just blissfully unaware of it.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpowell View Post
Whether an above ground gas pipeline is in the disclosure list or not, if I am aware that there is a gas pipeline nearby then I am going to make sure that my Buyer is aware of it. Then the Buyer can make the decision if it is a concern to him/her or not.
If acting as a buyer agent, Buyer's Agent, I'd do the same. We helped the people buy the one we're now selling. They knew about it and were unconcerned.
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin