Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Truly, I can appreciate fair points on both sides. But having worked in the public school system for so long, I have seen staggering poverty, students who would never be able to find transportation to school if it wasn't provided, students who don't get many square meals other than the free ones they are provided at school. As another poster wisely pointed out, children don't get the luxury of choosing their parents. Everyone wants the best for their kid, it's true... I just have to feel a little sorry for some of those kids. They were born into a family that had nothing while other kids were given every advantage and pampered from day one. Should they have even more taken away?

I question whether private schools would be equipped to handle that. Would they still be able to function if they had a 64% rate of economically disadvantaged students? Would they be able to feed those students lunch and breakfast every day, as public schools now do? Would they be able to provide transportation? I agree that vouchers would expand the number of families who could make it work... but they would do little to help the lowest, most disadvantaged children. They are the ones who need a fair shot the most.

Additionally, the ability to filter out kids they don't want means that public schools will be populated with only the very lowest, most needy and undesirable students. I highly doubt that a private school where one family pays a hefty tuition will keep a student who is a constant behavior problem--monopolizing much of the teacher's time. Will they take the kid who refuses to do any work? How about the special ed kid who needs so many interventions that it requires extra staff to be hired?
The whole point of vouchers is to create a marketplace for ideas which would cause improvement of the system through competition. This can be done completely within the school system. If vouchers only went to public schools you would get the same benefit as including private schools.

Proponents of public school vouchers for private schools are really just trying to get religious schools included to be paid for by public dollars which is clearly unconstitutional

Here is one article about the constitutionality of state funding of religious schools
Are school vouchers Constitutional?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Any student who is too difficult to teach (for whatever reason) can be kicked out. There are some private schools in Austin that specialize in learning disabilities, but there are some kids in special ed that no one will want to take.
In a brochure to the private school we are considering, a FAQ asks how they handle kids that have special needs in the classroom. The answer is basically "we don't want them here because they'll negatively affect the rest of the class." At least they're honest about it.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I think no one should pay into a public school option. Each students tuition should be the burden of that students parents. If you can't afford to raise your own children that is probably a pretty good sign that you aren't financially fit to have children. I don't see this happening though. Oh well.

I was thinking about getting a dog but I realized I couldn't afford to raise it. I decided not to get a dog. Maybe some people here would like to help financially supporting my dog?
Suffice to say your ideas about public schooling and parents will not get off the ground anytime soon. America isn't purely an individual-based society.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Suffice to say your ideas about public schooling and parents will not get off the ground anytime soon. America isn't purely an individual-based society.
I wouldn't expect it to nor am I expecting to convince anybody. More people benefit from having other people help subsidize their kids upbringing. However, it is fun for me to rattle some cages.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't expect it to nor am I expecting to convince anybody. More people benefit from having other people help subsidize their kids upbringing. However, it is fun for me to rattle some cages.
I'm sorry, but your subsidizing of my kids is minimal in the overall scheme of things.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but your subsidizing of my kids is minimal in the overall scheme of things.
Apology accepted.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Apology accepted.
No need to be cute and patronizing, mister. Your subsidy of my children amounts to their daycare costs..and as a single person I've footed my share of subsidies as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
AISD budget problems just doubled

AISD: Positions will be terminated | Austin News.Net

"In less than a week, the Austin school district's budget nightmare has jumped from a $54 million shortfall to $113 million."

Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
No need to be cute and patronizing, mister. Your subsidy of my children amounts to their daycare costs..and as a single person I've footed my share of subsidies as well.
Like I said, I'm not expecting to change anyones mind here so we can agree to disagree.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Superintendent Carstaphen never said they were going "to layoff teachers, increase class sizes, let go of programs and librarians". Carstaphen stated in the letter she was going to the school board to ask them for permission. They could always say no (as with the controversial center-city closure and consolidation targets).

Carstaphen using the letter to staff as the 'nuclear option' to pressure the previously wavering school task force on the plan to force consolidations and closures on (at least) some of the center city schools,probably with the least politically-connected areas of the eastside. The resulting school reorganization would probably raise district test scores, and property tax base with the increased gentrification (within the newly-acquired 'safe school' zones).

What the budget shortfall from the state of Texas lies mainly on AISD's balance sheet (as it has since 2007). Carstaphen is acting now to correct some of the balance sheet with the probable eastside closures and consolidations because (in the long-term) AISD can reorganize those schools to help maximize the fast-growing population of upper middle-class students in the near-east side which would now go to O' Henry MS to Austin HS or Kealing MS going to McCallum HS. In addition to school closures and consolidations in this area, school boundaries would change as well. In the remaining minority-majority areas, AISD would organize a smaller class size, special-attention learning program for minority kids tracking to Martin MS, then Eastside Memorial HS.
SHE'S saying it now. Read the previous post story from KXAN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin