Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:31 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times

Advertisements

There was a poll some time back on the Weather forum about whether people preferred extreme heat or extreme cold. Seems like it was about 50/50. If you are one of the 50% or so that can tolerate extreme cold and not extreme heat, Texas is not for you. I've met several people who have moved here from colder climates. Some love the change while others hate every minute of summer. I would not live somewhere I was miserable - for me that would be a cold climate, but for others that could be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 AM

587 posts, read 1,419,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
sorma1,

The question to you should indeed be "Is it easy to adjust to the harsh winter of MN after living in Austin?"
Amen to that!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:02 AM

19 posts, read 45,482 times
after experiencing both austin and mpls....austin hands down. I hibernate in mpls, and eventhose who don't have to make extreme adjustments. My life in austin was awesome, summer or not. The people in the north are also cold and dark, not like the people of tx

Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
The heat can be brutal. The key to enjoying the outdoors in this area in summer is to focus on water sports. Go to one of the many lakes, rivers or swimming holes in the area. Boating, canoeing, rafting, floating down rivers on inner tubes, etc.

If you have to dress nice for work, forget about walking outdoors any distance, you will end up dripping with sweat.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 PM

32 posts, read 85,973 times
Depends on where. I lived in Houston for 20+ years and it's the humidity that gets you. There it's miserable from Jul-Sept. Now I'm in the DFW area and it's not as bad. Will experience my 1st Austin summer coming up. Can't be worse than Houston!!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM

93 posts, read 130,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorma1 View Post
please tell me, what is it like? in a few months, summer starts again...tell me how u feel in general about this, is it easy to adjust to this harsh life?
Im in Nevada right now and I'm going to be moving to Austin next year. I love hot weather and I hope Austin is as hot as everybody says.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,741 times
My first summer in Austin was last summer and we all survived. I miss opening the windows at night for a cool breeze as another poster said, but I love the warm nights here so that was the trade off. I would take a hot summer over a cold winter anytime.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmharvey View Post
Im in Nevada right now and I'm going to be moving to Austin next year. I love hot weather and I hope Austin is as hot as everybody says.
You won't be dissapointed for sure, as long as don't mind some humidity thrown in there too.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,674 times
I question the sanity of anyone who can remain chipper about the Summers here. Maybe the third generation Texans get enough poison that they are immune but I've been here for 20+ years and it still hurts. If you want to experience what you might imagine being cooked in a microwave might feel like, welcome to Texas in Summer.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
I question the sanity of anyone who can remain chipper about the Summers here. Maybe the third generation Texans get enough poison that they are immune but I've been here for 20+ years and it still hurts. If you want to experience what you might imagine being cooked in a microwave might feel like, welcome to Texas in Summer.
Yeah, but when comparing being cooked (or fried, I mean you can fry an egg on the street in August), or being frozen (it's colder than a freezer in Minnesota, when I went to school up north, I always remember thinking, it's actually colder out there than in my freezer, that's just wrong).

So do you want to live in a freezer or a greenhouse? That's basically the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin